Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Shutdown likely.

2»

Comments

• Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    How did we go from "Obama Girl" to "Obama Squirrel". I missed that somewhere! Just saying
  • Options
    DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    I personally, know exactly what the problem is. The Right wing thinks right wing and the left wing thinks left wing; Republicans think Republican, and Democrats think Democrat (not necessarily Democratically) Conservatives think too conservatively, and liberals think too liberally (seriously, they should think less). This whole thing started a few hundred years ago and has been a constant battle, because everyone who says they are thinking outside the box is stuck inside a larger one, that they cant see for the first one that they are thinking inside of... I, myself, could give two **** less when, where, why, or how this whole damned thing started. EVERYBODY (in Government) quit pointing fingers and FIX IT. Compromise is why we broke off from England in the first damn place! you cant compromise with the House of Commons, because there are no commoners! I think that is the same problem we have here, everyone in Government is seated happily above the clouds and don't remember (because believe it or not they were all born in a hospital and grew up somewhere) what its like to fall down every once in a while and hit the bottom, or the impact that the things they do have on people. This whole Democracy thing is supposed to be run by the constituents, not the politicians themselves. IMHO.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    "...nations have progressed through this sequence: From bondage to spiritual faith; From spiritual faith to great courage; From courage to liberty; From liberty to abundance; From abundance to selfishness; From selfishness to apathy; From apathy to dependence; From dependence back into bondage."

-Alexander Fraser Tytler

This is the exact path we have been on and if we don't stop being a nation dependant in the government, we will be led right back into bondage.
  • Options
    Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    My question is...why the hell wasn't this resolved last year during the start of the new fiscal year? Personally, I think the politicians were so tied up with health care this got put on the shelf...now look at the mess we're in...what a joke. This should've been addressed months ago....can't imagine how politicians thought we could wait this long....as an active duty military person this pisses me off.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Healthcare was passed early last year, around summer. Fiscal year ends in late Sept - they've got no excuse. Dems didn't pass a budget because they didn't want a multi-trillion dollar blowout bill hanging over their heads going into the Nov. elections, not that it did them any good.
  • Options
    Nick2021:
    My question is...why the hell wasn't this resolved last year during the start of the new fiscal year? Personally, I think the politicians were so tied up with health care this got put on the shelf...now look at the mess we're in...what a joke. This should've been addressed months ago....can't imagine how politicians thought we could wait this long....as an active duty military person this pisses me off.
    That was my original point about all of this. The Democrats had the majority in both houses of congress AND the White House! They were more concerned with laying the framework for a takeover of health care and crippling the financial sector to worry with doing the actual things the government is supposed to do!
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What bothers me most is that members of Congress will continue to be paid and they are going to lag pay our military. I also read today that they may pay the troops, but temporarily stop paying the families of those killed in action!

I don't care what side of the aisle you're one, that is lower that whale ****! The only saving grace is that my son is in Special Forces selection right now and has no outside contact. Otherwise he'd be dealing with his Joes in the same way, helping them figure out how to feed their families and answer questions about how embarrassing our government is right now.
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    DSWarmack:
    I personally, know exactly what the problem is. The Right wing thinks right wing and the left wing thinks left wing; Republicans think Republican, and Democrats think Democrat (not necessarily Democratically) Conservatives think too conservatively, and liberals think too liberally (seriously, they should think less). This whole thing started a few hundred years ago and has been a constant battle, because everyone who says they are thinking outside the box is stuck inside a larger one, that they cant see for the first one that they are thinking inside of... I, myself, could give two **** less when, where, why, or how this whole damned thing started. EVERYBODY (in Government) quit pointing fingers and FIX IT. Compromise is why we broke off from England in the first damn place! you cant compromise with the House of Commons, because there are no commoners! I think that is the same problem we have here, everyone in Government is seated happily above the clouds and don't remember (because believe it or not they were all born in a hospital and grew up somewhere) what its like to fall down every once in a while and hit the bottom, or the impact that the things they do have on people. This whole Democracy thing is supposed to be run by the constituents, not the politicians themselves. IMHO.
    +1,000,000,000.............and that said....shut the whole f*cker down, dont even give a $hit anymore. Pay the soldiers then bring em home. This will never last more than a few days anyway because people on both sides of the aisle woudl realize we were no worse off without the govt and the real issue is haves vs have nots-----not an issue about ideology.
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Personally, I don't care too much about what to cut or not, but anyone with common sense would say that the budget should have been put in place a looooong time ago. We as Americans have become far too dependent on government involvement and services. I don't care what anyone else says. This is just completely irresponsible and unacceptable.

Also, as a former soldier and having a lot of friends that are still in service, I'm pissed. It's bad enough that being lower enlisted and having a family of 4 would put you below the poverty line. They don't need what little money they have held back indefinitely.
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Wayne, I thought you were a Canadian now, lol
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Ken Light:
    Yes yes, all of our representatives behave like petty silly children, all parties included, they always have and we've always known this was the case. The failure here is that we normally elect a STRONG LEADER as president who can make them behave. Now what we have is a president who is a limp d!ck worthless piece of slow-acting, overly-analytical nonsense wrapped in a fast-melting candy-coating made of hope and transparency, and he can't do a DAMN thing. He's simultaneously unable to stand up to other world leaders (his peers) and his subordinate congressmen and senators. Get him the hell out of there.
    I think I have a new Sig line. Pm me your addy, you just won a treat!
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    We use the term shutdown but that doesn't mean complete shutdown. The national security is out of it. We at the overseas post will continue working and will get paid(75% workforce). However, it will hurt many people and overall national trade. I just want them to compromise and do something positive and constructive for the country. It is not matter who support who, it is the matter of our future. As soon as our politicians realize it better for the country and our future.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    They passed another short term spending bill.

• Options
    stephen_hannibal:

Yup. They are saying the came to an agreement on a bill to fund the rest of the fiscal year, but passed the short term bill to give then time to vote and pass the long term one next week. Curious to see what kinds of compromises were made.
  • Options
    PuroFreak:
    stephen_hannibal:

Yup. They are saying the came to an agreement on a bill to fund the rest of the fiscal year, but passed the short term bill to give then time to vote and pass the long term one next week. Curious to see what kinds of compromises were made.
    Hey you have a PM

• Options
    stephen_hannibal:
    PuroFreak:
    stephen_hannibal:

Hey you have a PM

Back to you sir!
  • Options
    Husker44Husker44 Posts: 172
    Thank God, 38 Billion saved us from peril.

Just downright sick, 38 billion aint gonna fix the problem boys, but at least the Washington monument will be open tomorrow and beyond
  • Options
    TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    Yeah, I don't quite understand the numbers, 38 billion? Um, Minnesota is 5 billion in the red, we were at 6.5 billion. It just seems like they need to be talking about bigger numbers.
  • Options
    I'll be the first to say it. It seems fake. Like the whole pony show was scripted.

• Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    I'm just happy that our Military and their families are gonna be good now. The thought of having men and women fighting overseas for our freedom and not knowing if their family is gonna have food on the table makes me sick.

Although I can't lie I'm very happy that I'm not working for free right now, I would get back pay but yeah that'd take forever....lol
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Has anyone checked out what the deal was? Boehner pretty much cleaned up

From the Dems initial $6 bill he got $38.5 bill, the largest spending cut in US history, and got Reid to:
    - Guarantee Senate vote on repeal of Obamacare
    - More investigations into Dodd-Frank and its effects
    - Guaranteed Senate vote on funding Planned Parenthood
    - More investigations into effects of Obamacare
    - Bans Federal funding for abortion in D.C.

Watching the opinion shows after the vote, the feeling was that Boehner rolled the Dems and Obama, but Obama also got a few gifts. Those forced senate votes are gonna put a lot of Dems on the spot for Obamacare and are gonna hurt come 2012 compaign season, but at the same time, the historically deep cut will give Obama and the Dems the ability to say "we're serious about the debt" when the debt ceiling showdown comes up in May, probably giving them more credibility than they'd have if the cuts had been shallower.

For the troops, Michelle Bachmann (spelling?) has a bill that would take troop pay off the table, essentially guaranteeing they'd be paid in the event of a future shutdown; haven't heard whether or not the bill's going anywhere though. She was dancing around saying the bill wasn't good enough and that she'd vote against it/prefer to shut the Gov't down. As a Presidential contender, she's starting to get on my nerves with dumb stuff like this - she wants a fight, which is fine, but she doesn't realize this is peanuts compared to the debt ceiling and 2012 budget.
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ENFIDL:
    I'm just happy that our Military and their families are gonna be good now. The thought of having men and women fighting overseas for our freedom and not knowing if their family is gonna have food on the table makes me sick.

Although I can't lie I'm very happy that I'm not working for free right now, I would get back pay but yeah that'd take forever....lol
    I'm very happy too. They can't pay you enough for what you do.

I was watching some of the military families on CNN last night before the deal and it was heartbreaking that our military families should have to worry about finances along with worrying about the safety of their loved ones.
  • Options
    YankeeMan:
    ENFIDL:

I was watching some of the military families on CNN last night before the deal and it was heartbreaking that our military families should have to worry about finances along with worrying about the safety of their loved ones.
    I'm just a fed employee these days, my military time is in the past. It def is heartbreaking. Not only do they have to worry about their loved one who is overseas they were having to worry about putting a roof over their kids heads and food in their bellies. And it's hard to live as a military family on what they pay.
  • Options
    DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    ENFIDL:
    YankeeMan:
    ENFIDL:

I'm just a fed employee these days, my military time is in the past. It def is heartbreaking. Not only do they have to worry about their loved one who is overseas they were having to worry about putting a roof over their kids heads and food in their bellies. And it's hard to live as a military family on what they pay.
    No kidding! I just hope they get our pay straightned out before it hits on the 15th.
  • Options
    DSWarmack:
    ENFIDL:
    YankeeMan:
    ENFIDL:

No kidding! I just hope they get our pay straightned out before it hits on the 15th.
    Good news is nothing will miss, there was no lapse in the Government. Everything is business as usual as far as pay and everything else is concerned
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:
    I'll be the first to say it. It seems fake. Like the whole pony show was scripted.

Its because neither side cares about anything but f*ucking us over. One side would rather throttle the wealthier and one side would rather pork the poor. Both are content with giving the meat whistle to the middle class because we're too stupid to realize the real issue is retaining power and keeping everyone else away from it. The whole thing sucks, and I wish they wouldve shut the f*cker down until we got people who are acutal living beings in the real world to get their view on things.