Home Cigar 101
Options

What cigar?

beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
What one cigar (origin, roller, size, etc) would you offer to a first timer (someone who has never smoked, or experienced nicotine) to get them to enjoy smoking? Do you break em in with a mild, small-filler blend? Or do you hand them a Gurkha Triple Ligero?? What one cigar do you believe has the "essence" of CIGAR?

Comments

• Options
    jfacianejfaciane Posts: 242
    My first cigar was a mild Perdomo Madurno, a fat stick too. And I really enjoyed it, especially not knowing what to expect. Since then I've been experiencing with samplers and just buying singles in my local shop. I wouldn't suggest going too strong, stick with something mild for first timer. Thats my $.02
  • Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    Honestly, I would think something like a White Owl. I know, it's not a 'hand made' or anything fancy, but it is mild and does not have the kick of many of the cigars offered on ccom. If they can smoke a white owl, they will truly appreciate a better quality cigar when they try one.
    If I had to pick one from my humidor for someone new, I would pick the "Frank's Way". It is mild and it is a decent cigar. The green "MR. B" has an extremely mild flavour (the wife likes it O:) and that would also be a good starter cigar. To me, it's like smoking fresh air, but it gets rid of the black flies in May, lol.

One thing I tell anyone who does not smoke cigars......You don't have to smoke the entire cigar~. Smoke it, but feel free to put it down anytime. I want a newcommer to enjoy the part they smoke, rather than feeling like they have to finish it. Just my opinon, of course.

• Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    5 vegas gold or classic. Not too expensive but still a very good, reputable, hand made cigar. My first "real" cigar was a La Aurora Emerald Tubo. A bit expensive and strong for a new smoker, but I really enjoyed it.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    I actually just did this with a guy. He is heavily into home-brewing and we started talking about the two hobbies, beer and cigars. I informed how well they went together, and he decided he wanted to try a stick or two. I started him out with an Oliva Conn Reserve and a CI Legends Orange Label. He loved them both, but especially the Orange Label.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Start them out with something mild. If you overdo it with a Triple Ligero, you're more likely than not to have them OD on nicotine, pass out on the couch (or throwing up), and never wanting to try cigars again.
  • Options
    DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    I would suggest something light and sweeter, going with the, 'you catch more flies with honey' technique. My first cigar was a La Fontana Vintage and I was hooked. Made me realize that you could make a cigar taste like whatever you want it to. It was light with a sweeetened tip and had a good sweet tobacco flavor. I wouldn't smoke it now to save my life, but it got me started.

I completely agree with camgfs on the whole, when you're done let it go thing. I think having someone tell you that from the get go would be helpful. When we have cigar night and introduce the newbs, I always make a big point of that, and tell them that it is more wasteful for them to suffer through it than let it go out. Time is after all the most expensive non-renewable resourse we have.
  • Options
    nikostewartnikostewart Posts: 451
    Ccom Purple label would be a great first
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I usually hand out CAO Golds in this occasion. I've also had great luck with RyJ and HdM Excalibur (for people on their 2nd or 3rd cigar experience). Keep it mild and smooth to start.
  • Options
    RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    Macanudo Maduro, got my roomate with that. And he's been hook ever since. He has his own little stash of them.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    I'd go with a Macanudo Connecticut, 5 Vegas classic, or maybe Gurkha Park Ave. Something mild and, possibly more importantly, consistent. Last thing you want to do is hand them a bad stick, and while you cannot 100% eliminate that possibility, you can minimize it. Telling them to put it down at any time is also great advice. I usually tell them its not like alcohol, you don't get a better buzz going if you smoke more, you just eventually get sick. :)
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I am going to start recommending Rocky Patel Connecticuts. I forgot how good these were since I haven't had one in such a long time. It will not overwhelm the novice, and still keep most serious smokers interested.
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Very interesting question Beatnic. I always invite people over to my Man cave and they always say give me your best cigar. I straight say- you need to be experienced to have a good cigar and I never use the term best cigar. Is there any? My opinion is no. We have a huge selection of excellent cigars in the market. I do believe top Cuban brands are exceptional. It is not about politics, it is what mother nature offers us. For the first or new smoker I offer a smooth mild or mild-medium Connecticut wrapper cigar. Such as H. Upman Banker's series, Macanudo vintage 2000, Plasencia organico, Dominican Partagas. If someone really want a top shelf one then I offer Graycliff original, professional, Stardevarious, Partagas limited reserve decadas VI(Cameroon wrapper). The truth is once we are hooked with good cigar it is hard to go back to inferior cigars.
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I say a 5 Vegas Classic is a good stick. My first sticks were Indian Tabac Classic and Corojo.
  • Options
    I thank everyone for their input. I was thinking 5 Vegas Classic. Consistent, smooth. I wouldn't offer anything high octane. But the kicker is, do you offer them one of few last aged Opus Xs? C'mon now. Think about it? Its a chance, but, if they like it?????
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    to be honest with you, I smoked a few Indian Tabacs here and there and a couple Monte's and a host at a party offered me a Fuente Anejo. If it weren't for that, I would've never become more interested in this hobby.
  • Options
    PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    I've been winning people over with the MOW Ruination
  • Options
    ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    haha, I remember my first was an Acid Kuba Kuba. Not knowing that it was infused, and being happily surprised. Having a bit of a sweet tooth(tounge), I was smoking way too fast, and got sick. That is actually kind of a medium body cigar! Anyyyyywayyy.....it kind of depends on the person. If it's someone I like, I'll actually go pretty expensive because if they're serious about trying, they've probably thought about it. I gave a guy a VSG once and he was hooked for good. Told him to go super slow. But as a general rule for anyone....I would go with something like an Ashton Classic, or a Fuente Original, or a Romeo y Julieta 1875. These are the classics for a reason, anyone should smoke and like them if they are going to like cigars. Cut it and light it for them though. Thats an easy way to screw up the smoking experience and an avoidable mistake.
  • Options
    ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    bigharpoon:
    I usually hand out CAO Golds in this occasion.
    I do this as well, also CAO Black and RP Connecticut have worked in the past.

When I was trying to get my father in to cigars I took him with me to a shop right down the road from his house. We went in and looked around the walk-in for about 30 minutes as I talked him through everything. I ended picking up an Ashton double magnum for him. We sat out on the back patio and smoked our cigars and drank the JW Gold I got for him as we watched the sun set. It's one of my favorite moments I've spent with my father, and it's the cigar that got him hooked!
  • Options
    bigjohn125bigjohn125 Posts: 476
    I would give a 5 Vegas Gold or one of the classic Fuentes. Smooth, mild flavors and consistent. Can't go wrong.
  • Options
    ironhorse:
    haha, I remember my first was an Acid Kuba Kuba. Not knowing that it was infused, and being happily surprised. Having a bit of a sweet tooth(tounge), I was smoking way too fast, and got sick. That is actually kind of a medium body cigar! Anyyyyywayyy.....it kind of depends on the person. If it's someone I like, I'll actually go pretty expensive because if they're serious about trying, they've probably thought about it. I gave a guy a VSG once and he was hooked for good. Told him to go super slow. But as a general rule for anyone....I would go with something like an Ashton Classic, or a Fuente Original, or a Romeo y Julieta 1875. These are the classics for a reason, anyone should smoke and like them if they are going to like cigars. Cut it and light it for them though. Thats an easy way to screw up the smoking experience and an avoidable mistake.
    Cut it and light it for them? Great idea. Hell, I have enough trouble getting a good cut on some sticks myself. It would be horrible for them to FU their first stick.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    kaspera79:
    I am going to start recommending Rocky Patel Connecticuts. I forgot how good these were since I haven't had one in such a long time. It will not overwhelm the novice, and still keep most serious smokers interested.
    Plus Uno
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    cusano 18 connecticut. smooth burn every time. great construction. easy to smoke. mild in body and good tasting. it isnt overly expensive though.