Home Cigar 101
Options

New lighter

Thinking about getting a new lighter and am wondering if you think I should get one with two flames or three? Are there advantates to each or is three overkill? Thanks, Matt

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I would think three is overkill, two is probably enough. Personally I have a single jet and it does the trick just fine, but if you live in an area that gets windy at all then a double jet might be the way to go.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    I have a triple and a single, the single is much nicer for a more direct light, easier to hit certain spots on the foot to ignite them. The triple has a huge flame all together and gets any job done quickly, but definitely easier to scorch with the triple. I kinda like having both. If I'm patient with the triple, I can get things started very well, then sometimes touch things up with the single.

Three may be overkill, but I tend to take everything to an extreme.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I have 2 singles and 1 tri flame. I love the tri flame, though I needed to make the flame about mid range it it's size. I use my tri more than the singles, and never had any burn issues with it. The same thing applies, don't put the flame on the foot, and just toast it, it gets all over the foot without any problems.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i use a single
    i probably never will use more than that. double and triple always seem to light too hot every time i use them.
  • Options
    rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    I have a double and love it, but I think a triple would be overkill.
  • Options
    cubbychubbycubbychubby Posts: 29
    I have a triple which works great in the wind, on the golf course. Downsides: it really sucks the butane, and it is too hot IMO for normal lighting purposes. A wooden match is my fav if there's no wind.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    i definitly need a new lighter-- waiting on something to catch my eye
  • Options
    leonardleonard Posts: 359
    I never light my cigar in the wind so a soft flame works for me. It also last along time between refills.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    cubbychubby:
    I have a triple which works great in the wind, on the golf course. Downsides: it really sucks the butane.
    tell me about it..
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I like my Xikar single flame torch. I had a double flame Colibri, but living up to Colibri's rep it just fell aprat in my hand one day. I also found the double flame to be a bit of overkill for most cigars.
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    I have a single flame torch by Rocky Patel, got a pic of it on a lighter topic somewhere on these boards. Had a Colibri but as Maddy's did, mine fell apart and then started to burn my hand when I tried to use it. One of my buddies has a dual torch but I prefer a single flame torch, anything more and I have a tendency to scorch the stogie I'm trying to light. Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    TumblerTumbler Posts: 338 ✭✭
    Garen B:
    I have a single flame torch by Rocky Patel, got a pic of it on a lighter topic somewhere on these boards. Had a Colibri but as Maddy's did, mine fell apart and then started to burn my hand when I tried to use it. One of my buddies has a dual torch but I prefer a single flame torch, anything more and I have a tendency to scorch the stogie I'm trying to light. Just my 2 cents.

I sure like my Xikar lighter (double flame) It even has a glass side to see if it's filling properly. Then you kick in a punch for the those big bore numbers and you are ready to go..