Home Cigar 101

question about beads and humidification

rygarrygar Posts: 17
I am using a foam hunidifier and have already been victim to one of its main downfalls. My humidity is hovering in the high 70s.

I need to get beads and soon to help maintain a nice steady 70%.

First question is ...which beads.

ive seen 60% 65% 70%...id like 70, but which is optimal?

Do you need to refill beads or the beads are good to go for a while and you just need to refill with distilled water?

How many beads, how big of a humidifier do you need? I have the southport medium humidor cherry, its a 75ct

Comments

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Two kinds of beads - Heartfelt and Conservagel. Either will do you fine, but Conservagel is half the price of heartfelt, but Heartfelt has some nice containers. Take your pick

Which kind of bead depends on your region; here in Florida, humidity is always high, year round, so I go with 65% beads to drag the RH down to around 67%; if you live where the humidity is always low, go with 70% to keep the RH up

As for refilling, use ONLY distilled water ($1 for a gallon at Walmart); and you just refill as needed

How many beads you needs depends on the humi; for a 75ct, you shouldn't need more than a quarter. But go to the Heartfelt website and use their calculator - whatever amount it tells you to use, double it, then buy that amount
  • Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    Two kinds of beads - Heartfelt and Conservagel. Either will do you fine, but Conservagel is half the price of heartfelt, but Heartfelt has some nice containers. Take your pick

Which kind of bead depends on your region; here in Florida, humidity is always high, year round, so I go with 65% beads to drag the RH down to around 67%; if you live where the humidity is always low, go with 70% to keep the RH up

As for refilling, use ONLY distilled water ($1 for a gallon at Walmart); and you just refill as needed

How many beads you needs depends on the humi; for a 75ct, you shouldn't need more than a quarter. But go to the Heartfelt website and use their calculator - whatever amount it tells you to use, double it, then buy that amount

+1 on everything xmacro said. This is exactly what I did when I set up my cooler in November. I use 67% and it had kept it at an exact 67% all winter and early spring. The only thing I have had to do had been to squirt the beads with some distilled water from a spray bottle every once in a while. I'm in the process of changing out my gel containers in my three small humis to the beads as well. I have bought both the heartfelt and conservagel beads. Both work the same so it just what you want to spend on them.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    You'll have to pay S&H on your beads so you might as well get at least one pound. Keep the extra and I guarantee you'll use it in the future when you get another humidor.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    xmacro is spot on. I use the heartfelt pucks in mine and I also have a 1/2 lb bag of 70% beads I use when seasoning and through the winter for boosting the rh. Both aging Humi's are 65% beads with 2 large pucks in the 170cnt and 3 in the 250cnt. Daily is 70% beads with 1 large and 1 small puck. I got both 65 & 70 % because the winters are dry and the summer is moist up here so I change them around accordingly. I believe the beads are good for a year or two. You can also buy empty tubes and a bag of different % beads and fill your own with whatever % is desired. Always get more than you need it will come back up to rh levels quickly after opening.
  • rygarrygar Posts: 17
    im thinking about just buying 1lb. of 70% and figure out exactly how many beads id need for the space in the humidor
  • jfacianejfaciane Posts: 242
    xmacro:

Man, tell me about it. I live in Spring Hill and all I have is a little gel humidity container and my humidor (50 ct) always reads around 73%. I took it out today just to see where it stays at. I might put the 67% Humi-pillows in there just to keep some humidity in there until I get some beads and build my coolidor next month. EDIT: I just looked up wineadors! Excellent idea and will be doing that instead. Keeps temp and humidity in check relatively easy.
  • PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    Question though. Are you using a digital or Analog hygro? that could be reading wrong. Regardless, I recommend beads as well, just got in another lb this morn. Nearly idiot proof, and highly reliable.
    im using analog, it looks attractive on the outside.

im sure i will eventually invest in a nice digital temp/hydrometer, just not yet.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    rygar:
    im using analog, it looks attractive on the outside. im sure i will eventually invest in a nice digital temp/hydrometer, just not yet.
    You will soon discover the wrath of this board.
    rygar:
    im using analog, it looks attractive on the outside. im sure i will eventually invest in a nice digital temp/hydrometer, just not yet.
    Go digital brother. Go digital now. Leave it there for looks but for accuracy and reliability digital would be better. Your cigars deserve it and you want to protect your investment. Never had good luck with the analogs that come with the humi. Not acurate and hard to calibrate. Although I do have one that has been right on so far. Have no idea what brand it is, it just says "Hygrometer %", in an old German type text. It's 3" in diameter and looks like it came from das boot. Lucked out on that one maybe, but all others have been crap.
    i have my beads and case enroute as we speak from heartfelt.

and as for the digi hydro. that will come with time.

i feel that with the beads, distilled water, and a good seal on the box. I dont really have much to worry about other than to use cellophane or not :)
  • TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    I sort of found what works for me anyways. I ended up with 4 70% bead pucks from Heartfelt, and 2 conservagel jars, all in my cooler. I've not had to touch anything in 2-3 months. The digital reads 68%.
  • crzydimnd68crzydimnd68 Posts: 139 ✭✭
    Cigar Mechanic also sells pre filled containers of beads.I have seen a bead filled pucks at my B&M.So be on the lookout.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    rygar:
    i have my beads and case enroute as we speak from heartfelt. and as for the digi hydro. that will come with time. i feel that with the beads, distilled water, and a good seal on the box. I dont really have much to worry about other than to use cellophane or not :)
    Indeed brother. I fought and fought with foam. Everyone here suggested beads and I haven't looked back. It proabably saved a year of my life due to all the removed stress from not constantly worrying about my temps/humidity. True story.
    Heartfelt also sells empty tubes, in various sizes, you can put whatever % beads you want in. Buy a bag of 65% and a 70% beads and fill, or change, as desired. Looks like the pucks come apart as well. Got a feeling with summer coming I will be reducing my %'s.
    Good gentlemen of the cigar world. My 3" diameter heartfelt bead set up arrived yesterday.

i got 70% humidity beads and i had it submerged in distilled water for about 10s, then i let all excess water out.

i dried the whole case off and then i gently placed it into my humidor and left it at that.

i woke up today and the humidity reading is 80%. All signs lead to the hydrometer being off and i suppose i just need confirmation from all you gents
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Could be the Hygro is off. Analogs are notorious for being inaccurate. Could also be the RH really is there and you over-saturated your beads with water. Without a calibrated digital hygrometer you just don't know.

The way I like to charge my beads is to place a vessel, a small dish or bowl, with distilled water in it next to the beads and let them absorb what they need. Overnight seems to work long enough. This way the beads take what they need and aren't over-saturated. They also seem to not need charging as much this way.
    i think i need to research the right way of saturating the beads
    Not sure if you are supposed to "soak" the heartfelt beads. They probably will get stable over time though. Are they in pucks or loose in bowls? I sometimes put some fresh beads in and gently turn them, kind of mix them in, when I overwater.
    they were kinda loose