Home General Discussion

Putting your business label on a cigar

Hi. I'm planning on (hopefully) passing out some free stogies during the cigarfest events this year and I was wondering if anyone knew the legal issues with putting my website's name (CrapCigar.com) and logo on a cigar that I didn't make? I'm not planning on insinuating that I made the blend, it's for advertising purposes much like someone hands out a pen with their company logo on it. I wouldn't think there would be a problem but there may be. Does anyone know? Thanks.

Comments

• lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    How would anyone know who Really made that cigar?
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Game, set and match - lcpleel. LOL

• Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Maybe you can just *add* a band to an existing cigar? Then its obvious who made the cigar and (more importantly to you) who it came from when it was handed to the person? I don't know about the legality of that, just throwing out an idea
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
    Ken Light:
    Maybe you can just *add* a band to an existing cigar? Then its obvious who made the cigar and (more importantly to you) who it came from when it was handed to the person? I don't know about the legality of that, just throwing out an idea
    If you keep the original band on it than you might have some legal issues. Lol, I think you should just put yours on and leave it at that. Kind of like putting on your customized band for a wedding and business meetings, they never have the original bands on.
  • PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    Handing it out, Legal. Selling it, lawsuit if found out by the maker of the cigar
    PsychoSJG:
    Handing it out, Legal. Selling it, lawsuit if found out by the maker of the cigar
    It would be like buying a capt. morgan slapping my face on the captains and putting a lcpleel sticker on it than handing it out.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a competitor to C.Com who shall remain nameless (there's a 'T' in their name) who usually show in their catalog that you can order custom labels. I don't know whether you have to buy cigars from them to get the labels but you can check.

Marty

• long_asheslong_ashes Posts: 166
    Well these particular cigars are bundled cigars from a well known manufacturer but are naked sticks (no labels to begin with). Also, no I will not be selling them, just something to get the word out about my website and to put a smile on a persons face when they see yet another free cigar they are obtaining from cigarfest. ;) Honestly I didn't think there was issue but it never hurts to ask to be sure. Thanks for the comments so far guys, informative yet funny stuff.
    Anything Free, Naked, and in a group is free game :D
  • edelrionycedelrionyc Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    Where do you go to get customizable bands?????
    that would be a good marketing campaign for a good toro/salomon cigar with a nipple end... "they're huge, naked, have a nipple, and you put them in your mouth"
  • PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    lcpleel:
    haha WIN
  • SmokySuitSmokySuit Posts: 429
    lcpleel:
    Well played
    edelrionyc:
    Where do you go to get customizable bands?????
    There are a bunch of places online but right now I'm working with a local company called Mr. Label right now. They aren't true "cigar" labels but they are the same dimensions and can have the gloss etc. so basically the same thing. I'm still waiting on the price estimate because I'm using a graphic.
  • kaelariakaelaria Posts: 572
    I HIGHLY suggest Label Your Cigar - not only do they do good custom labels - the cigars are AWESOME! I would seriously pay $10 for them and they work out to little over a buck ea. http://cigarobsession.com/cigar-reviews/label-your-cigar-pedro-estevez-barberpole-toro-cigar-review/ http://cigarobsession.com/cigar-reviews/label-your-cigar-habano-double-corona-cigar-review/
  • Stryker808Stryker808 Posts: 269
    Im a little late to the party, but I googled "custom cigar labels" and there is a lot of online companies that do this. Legally, I don't see a problem. Hell, half the industry virtually does the same thing.......JJ.
    kaelaria:
    I HIGHLY suggest Label Your Cigar - not only do they do good custom labels - the cigars are AWESOME! I would seriously pay $10 for them and they work out to little over a buck ea. http://cigarobsession.com/cigar-reviews/label-your-cigar-pedro-estevez-barberpole-toro-cigar-review/ http://cigarobsession.com/cigar-reviews/label-your-cigar-habano-double-corona-cigar-review/
    I checked them out and they seem to be only custom to a certain extent, as in, they can change names etc. I need to use a custom graphic for my logo.