Home Cigar 101
Options

just a few new questions

if u no me, u no i have asked alot of questions. well i have 3 new ones. so without further ado. 1. how long can a cigar once bought, sit inside a bag, without a humidification pillow, safely last? and as a bonus. whats the longest u let sit a cigar, smoked it, and it still was fresh? 2. how long can a cigar sit outside of a bag, without humidification? and also, whats the longest u let a cigar sit outside of a bag, smoked it, and it still tasted fresh? 3. how long can a cigar sit in a fridge without humidification? safely? i no it was a few more then i said. but deal. thanks for all who answer.

Comments

• Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    wmaxham:
    if u no me, u no i have asked alot of questions. well i have 3 new ones. so without further ado. 1. how long can a cigar once bought, sit inside a bag, without a humidification pillow, safely last? and as a bonus. whats the longest u let sit a cigar, smoked it, and it still was fresh? 2. how long can a cigar sit outside of a bag, without humidification? and also, whats the longest u let a cigar sit outside of a bag, smoked it, and it still tasted fresh? 3. how long can a cigar sit in a fridge without humidification? safely? i no it was a few more then i said. but deal. thanks for all who answer.
    Okay, here is my time line..A cigar in a bag without a pillow.. I don't let it stay for more than a day or two. If you don't have a pillow take a folded paper towel that is slightly wet I would say few weeks. But humidors are really the best bet. Even tupperware works well, And strictly my own practice.
    Without Humidification or a bag, the same day, and it starts to lose quality depending on the weather. If I take a cigar out of the humidor, I plan to smoke it the same day. If I don't, it goes back to the humidor for a week at least. Get a small travel humidor or at least put the cigar in a small baggie.
    The Fridge and I mean it, Never put it in the Fridge. It takes on the scent and flavor of the container and the fridge is NOT a Humidor, it is the complete opposite. It is not the way to store cigars.
    That's the way I would do it, opinions vary.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I'm with Kas on the second two. I think a cigar, or several cigars, in a sealed bag would be okay to leave for up to a week, maybe a bit more, without humidification, anything more than 10 days is probably pushing it. I'm a bit more lax about how strictly I monitor humidity than some though, so take it with a grain of salt.

i no it was a few more then i said. but deal.

Was that last part really necessary? Just my two cents here, but if you're asking questions and wanting people to take time to give an answer, I think it's a but rude to tell those same people to "deal"...just ask your question and let it stand at that.
  • Options
    i was just sayin, if anyone would say it was really like 5 questions instead of 3. they could deal. my bad if it came off offensive. and really? the fridge is that bad?(taking cigars out and putting em into a container) would just overnight b that bad? cause i got em yesterday and forgot to get a pillow.
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    It's not so much a humidity thing, but a temperature thing, most fridges sit somewhere between 34 and 40 degrees Fahrenheit, whereas you want your cigars to sit at around 65 to 75 F. That and because cigars soak up moisture and fridges tend to have at least some humidity in them, your cigars will soak up the smells lingering in the humidified air as Kas said.

Might also bust the cigars if the moisture already in the cigars freeze if your fridge runs cold due to ice crystals forming. Just a theory though and one made by a mind that is running on too little sleep and too much stress.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the humidity is a fridge is very inconsistent. as the compressor turns on and off the moisture in the air condenses around the cooling elements. so depending on where in the fridge you put the smokes it could be a huge RH problem
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    the humidity is a fridge is very inconsistent. as the compressor turns on and off the moisture in the air condenses around the cooling elements. so depending on where in the fridge you put the smokes it could be a huge RH problem
    Hey kuz, you remember sirius' argument that this statement was not true? Well I've tested his theory and come to the conclusion that he may be right. Based on my research which was done with my wine fridge and my regular home fridge. The RH doesn't fluctuate more than 1% when the compressor kicks on in my wine fridge. And only once did I see a fluctuation of more than 1% in the home fridge. But the home fridge was harder to be sure with bc I had to open the door to see the hygrometer. In the wine fridge I actually stuck the hygro to the metal guard over the condensors so it doesn't get much closer than that.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Another way u can look at it is cigars are born in the tropics, where it is perfect to grow tobacco. Cigars love this weather and putting the cigar in a fridge is basically the total opposite enviroment you want for your sticks.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Krieg:
    Another way u can look at it is cigars are born in the tropics, where it is perfect to grow tobacco. Cigars love this weather and putting the cigar in a fridge is basically the total opposite enviroment you want for your sticks.
    Now while it is true that cigar tobacco is for the most part grown in the tropics Krieg, you DO NOT want to store your cigars in tropical climates. Unless you want some new pets in your humidor. Cigar beetles, thrive in tropical climates and they can hatch at around 80 degrees/80% RH.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I have a friend who stores all his cubans in his Fridge. He gave me one and it was fine! However, I know that it IS ok to put your cigars in the freezer if you get Tobacco Beetles however you do not want to put them back in the humidor immediately. You want to put them in the fridge so the termperature change is not so drastic. Can't remember where I read this. Maybe cigar.com or another like site. I personally wouldn't store them in a fridge unless I had no other choice. But hey, that Cuban was still great.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    arn't all cigars put in a freezer about 3 days after rolling to kill undesirables-and then slowly brought back to norm temps- read that this week just can't remember if it was online or in one of the cigar magazines
  • Options
    gmill880:
    arn't all cigars put in a freezer about 3 days after rolling to kill undesirables-and then slowly brought back to norm temps- read that this week just can't remember if it was online or in one of the cigar magazines
    Not all, some.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    wmaxham:
    i was just sayin, if anyone would say it was really like 5 questions instead of 3. they could deal. my bad if it came off offensive. and really? the fridge is that bad?(taking cigars out and putting em into a container) would just overnight b that bad? cause i got em yesterday and forgot to get a pillow.
    I read you loud and clear. All I was pointing out is that some people could see that as rude or offensive, even if that wasn't your intention. It's all good.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:
    Hey kuz, you remember sirius' argument that this statement was not true? Well I've tested his theory and come to the conclusion that he may be right. Based on my research which was done with my wine fridge and my regular home fridge. The RH doesn't fluctuate more than 1% when the compressor kicks on in my wine fridge. And only once did I see a fluctuation of more than 1% in the home fridge. But the home fridge was harder to be sure with bc I had to open the door to see the hygrometer. In the wine fridge I actually stuck the hygro to the metal guard over the condensors so it doesn't get much closer than that.
    it may be true for YOUR fridge. i have an old POS and it actually has a DRAIN in the back to catch the drip from the condenser.
  • Options
    Interesting.
  • Options
    crap. i put a damp paper towl peice in a Tupperware with 3 cigars, 1 being dried out. and now there damp. and the dried out one expanded in 3 spots tword the paper towl and broke the wrapper abit. and the cigar is hand made from newyork. :,(
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    Krieg:
    Now while it is true that cigar tobacco is for the most part grown in the tropics Krieg, you DO NOT want to store your cigars in tropical climates. Unless you want some new pets in your humidor. Cigar beetles, thrive in tropical climates and they can hatch at around 80 degrees/80% RH.
    ] you are absolutely right, I try to keep my cigars around 70RH and 70degrees...i think it is anything over 73Rh you run the risk of mold.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    While 70/70 is considered optimal but most "experts" many people keep there RH and temp well below that and some keep it above that. Its generally accepted anywhere between 60 and 75 degrees or RH won't do any damage.