Home Cigar 101
Options

Humi Temperature

tankbonniestankbonnies Posts: 191
Hi Guys... My RH is pretty consistent at 69 degrees. HOwever, the temperature is never consistent and goes from 49 to 59 degrees. Is that a problem? If so, how can I raise it and what should the temp be? BTW..I have humi beads. Thx

Comments

• Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Temperature is only important when it gets up over 75 degrees but where are you keeping you humi that it gets down to 49 degrees!! Is it that cold in your house?
  • Options
    Thanks...on the main floor....I live in Jersey.....doesn't get too cold. Any suggestions on where to place it?
  • Options
    Well, if your temp gets down to 49 degrees, that's pretty cold.

As you probably know, you ideally want your humidor in an area as close to 65-70 degrees as possible.  On top of that, you want it in an area where the temperature does not fluctuate too wildly throughout the day (e.g. avoid direct sunlight, areas like the kitchen, areas next to heaters and heat vents, etc).

In your situation, I'd keep it in the highest point in your house that gets the benefit of the central heating system throughout the day (since heat rises).  Typically, this is a 2nd story bedroom or home office.  Keep it away from direct heat sources, like heating vents and sunlight.
  • Options
    thanks...Yeah.. I'll move it upstairs. Downstairs in the basement will be too cool. WIll the low temperature affect the cigars?
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I don't think that temps matter as much as humidity, howver temps can have an affect if too low or too high. I personally think you are fine. I know in the winter, he keep the heat at 60 at night and closer to 70 during the day. In the winter, all my humidors are in my room so I have the AC on and two are right infront of the AC and I don't really have a problem.

Btw, I am from Jersey too.
  • Options
    I hear yah...thx realwright... Yeah..Rockaway, I used to stop at JR all the time when I worked in that area....nice place..I'll be at the Sheraton tomorrow night for a Christmas Party..hope to sneak away for a quick smoke.
  • Options
    The Sheraton in Parsippany? I used to work across the street from there. We go to JRs all the time.
  • Options
    Yep..thats the one...the one that looks like the castle. I like JR's....we'll have to meet up some time for a smoke.
  • Options
    Sounds good to me. PM me sometime.
  • Options
    will do....sounds good...
  • Options
    StoogeeStoogee Posts: 157
    if you have a basement they tend to be the most stable temperature in a house year round they dont get quite as cold as a main floor because they are below ground level and they dont get as hot in the summer. I live in colorado and the temperature in my humidor varies from about 63 degrees in the coldest part of winter to about 68 in the hottest part of the summer. while the temperature on my main floor and upstairs stay about 68 in the winter they can reach 80+ in the summer. If your basement tends to get to cold you can put a small space heater near the humidor on a thermostat that will kick on when the temp drops below 60 to help stabalize in the 60s. but the 40s seems extremly cold for a main floor in a house you might check the temp gauge your using it may not be accurate.
  • Options
    pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    I figure this is as good a place for this as starting a new thread. I have a couple of questions regarding temperature. With it trying to be spring out there, others might also.

First let me explain my situation. Here in the arid SW I don't have central air conditioning. I have a swamp cooler/radiator. I do however have central heat. I live in a 2 story apartment/townhouse thing. Throughout the winter I have kept my humidor in a closet upstairs, while the thermostat for the heater is downstairs. I have been able to maintain a consistent humidity throughout the winter (68 to 70). The landlord usually comes out in early May, shuts the furnace down and connects the swamp cooler. The issue I have is that the only vent for the swamp cooler is directly above/outside the door to the closet I have been keeping my humidor in. This is usually the coldest part of the place throughout the summer and with the way the swamp cooler works probably the most humid. However, to save energy(read money) I don't leave the cooler running while I'm at work during the day so upstairs can get pretty warm. To the questions...

Would I be best off just leaving my humidor in the closet where it is? Or would I be better off bringing it downstairs where the temperature will not fluctuate as greatly throughout the day? Thanks
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pelirrojo:
    I figure this is as good a place for this as starting a new thread. I have a couple of questions regarding temperature. With it trying to be spring out there, others might also.

First let me explain my situation. Here in the arid SW I don't have central air conditioning. I have a swamp cooler/radiator. I do however have central heat. I live in a 2 story apartment/townhouse thing. Throughout the winter I have kept my humidor in a closet upstairs, while the thermostat for the heater is downstairs. I have been able to maintain a consistent humidity throughout the winter (68 to 70). The landlord usually comes out in early May, shuts the furnace down and connects the swamp cooler. The issue I have is that the only vent for the swamp cooler is directly above/outside the door to the closet I have been keeping my humidor in. This is usually the coldest part of the place throughout the summer and with the way the swamp cooler works probably the most humid. However, to save energy(read money) I don't leave the cooler running while I'm at work during the day so upstairs can get pretty warm. To the questions...

Would I be best off just leaving my humidor in the closet where it is? Or would I be better off bringing it downstairs where the temperature will not fluctuate as greatly throughout the day? Thanks
    Warm and humid sounds like a terrible combo... how warm would your downstairs be?
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Well, I guess humid is a relative term(no pun intended.) The humidity out here in the summer isn't usually any higher than maybe 30% unless we have rain, which is pretty uncommon. For example the relative humidity right now is 14%. The swamp cooler runs a fan over coils filled with water, so it may actually suck humidity out of the air as it condenses now that I think about it. To answer your question the downstairs can get to the mid to upper 70s during the day, but I'm usually home at 5 to kick the cooler on. Whereas the upstairs can get up into the 80s. I'm trying to keep myself from having to run the cooler all day. I usually keep a window cracked both downstairs and upstairs to keep some air moving too.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the temp gets to cold it slows down the aging process.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    80‘s is just asking for trouble. 70-75 is manageable. Have you ever frozen you cigars? I have not, but with those temps consistently it would ease my mind a lot!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    I have not frozen mine either. I may move some things around and make room for it in a downstairs closet that would help to regulate major temperature swings. It's usually cool enough at night, and when it isn't I run the cooler. As the temperature comes up during the day, I would think that being in a closet would help. I've never had any mold/beetle issues, but I may try to decrease the humidity a few points just in case.