Home General Discussion
Options

Quiz

Stole this cool quiz...

CIGAR AFICIONADO QUIZ

1. What is ligero?
2. Name the three major growing regions of Nicaragua.
3. What is a puro?
4. Who makes the cigar called The Edge?
5. What is a chavetta?
6. What is a torcedore?
7. Describe the difference between binder and filler.
8. Put these tobacco terms in the proper order: fermentation, priming, aging, curing.
9. Whats the difference between Connecticut shade and Connecticut broadleaf?
10. Which of the following is not an actual cigar: Flying Pig, Taco, Loco Chivo, Pussycat, The Chisel.
11. What is a Salomone?
12. How many Edicion Limitada cigars does Cuba release in a typical year?
13. Name a cigar with a suggested retail price of $25 or more.
14. Describe a cigars wrapper.
15. Where is Danli?
16. Which country makes the most premium cigars?
17. What year did Cigar Aficionado make its debut?
18. What is Cigar Aficionados signature cigar show?
19. Name three types of cigar cutters.
20. Which of the following are proper methods of lighting a cigar: wooden match, Zippo lighter, paper match, cedar spill, butane lighter.
21. Is tobacco for premium cigars grown in the United States?
22. What is a Cuban sandwich cigar?
23. Whats the difference between a dress box and a cabinet?
24. Name three people who have appeared on the cover of Cigar Aficionado in the past 12 months.
25. What company distributes Cuban cigars throughout the world?

And here are the answers...

http://rocketfuelcoffee.com/blog/here-are-the-answers/

Comments

• Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I think I got them all but 22, and 24. I don't read or subscribe to that magazine.

Edit: 17 too.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    lets give this a go with half my brain tied behind my back... (im not gunna look anything up)
    nikostewart:
    1. What is ligero?
    the top priming of the tobacco plant. the strongest and most expensive one as well.
    nikostewart:
    2. Name the three major growing regions of Nicaragua.
    Jalapa, Estali, condaga
    nikostewart:
    3. What is a puro?
    a cigar that is made from tobacco grown in one country only
    nikostewart:
    4. Who makes the cigar called The Edge?
    Rocky Patel (and if i am not mistaken it was blended by J.Fuego)
    nikostewart:
    5. What is a chavetta?
    the tool used to cut tobacco leaves on the rolling table
    nikostewart:
    6. What is a torcedore?
    one that rolls tobacco into cigars
    nikostewart:
    7. Describe the difference between binder and filler.
    binder holds the filer together. filler is the bulk of the leaves in the cigar. the binder is under the wrapper. it is the second outermost leaf
    nikostewart:
    8. Put these tobacco terms in the proper order: fermentation, priming, aging, curing.
    in orde as far as what? time? if so: priming, curing, fermentation, aging
    nikostewart:
    9. Whats the difference between Connecticut shade and Connecticut broadleaf?
    mainly how it is grown. connecticut shade is grown (who would have guessed) in the shade of a cheesecloth like material. this keeps the sun from making it too strong in flavor.
    nikostewart:
    10. Which of the following is not an actual cigar: Flying Pig, Taco, Loco Chivo, Pussycat, The Chisel.
    this is a hard one. the flying pig is from liga privada, the chisel is from LFD. there probably is some jackass out there that named their cigar "the taco" so i am left with two options
    ill go with pussycat.
    nikostewart:
    11. What is a Salomone?
    a Salomone is a shape of cigar that is the perfect cross (in my mind) between the pyramid and the perfecto. it is usually about 7 inches long with a ring of about 58 at the larger end and a ring of about 46 at the smaller end. each end has a taper.
    nikostewart:
    12. How many Edicion Limitada cigars does Cuba release in a typical year?
    ...too many
    ... or not enough depending on who you ask.
    oh, i have to guess a number? uh... 18
    nikostewart:
    13. Name a cigar with a suggested retail price of $25 or more.
    Davidoff Aniverario churchill tubo
    nikostewart:
    14. Describe a cigars wrapper.
    the outer most layer of tobacco. it is what makes the cigar look pretty and taste yummy.
    nikostewart:
    15. Where is Danli?
    honduras, close to the southern boarder with nicaragua.
    nikostewart:
    16. Which country makes the most premium cigars?
    thatas a difficult one as well... im gunna go with The Dominican Republic with an understaning that i may be wrong. there are quite a few makers in nicaragua that dont use nicaraguan tobacco... it could be cuba as well because that still is "father" of cigars.
    nikostewart:
    17. What year did Cigar Aficionado make its debut?
    uh... 1989? i guess i never bothered to care because i dont give a rats ass about that cigar rag.
    nikostewart:
    18. What is Cigar Aficionados signature cigar show?
    iduno... see the last answer.
    nikostewart:
    19. Name three types of cigar cutters.
    punch, double guillotine, V-cut
    nikostewart:
    20. Which of the following are proper methods of lighting a cigar: wooden match, Zippo lighter, paper match, cedar spill, butane lighter.
    wooden match, Cedar Spill, butane lighter
    nikostewart:
    21. Is tobacco for premium cigars grown in the United States?
    yes. mostly in Connecticut and in PA.
    nikostewart:
    a cuban sandwich is a sandwich with bacon, smoked pork, mustard, pickles....
    oh, a cuban sandwich CIGAR
    it is a rolling method where short filler is "sandwiched" in between long filler leaves. this is a cost cutting device for many factories. it help eliminate waste.
    nikostewart:
    23. Whats the difference between a dress box and a cabinet?
    the number of cigars contained within
    nikostewart:
    24. Name three people who have appeared on the cover of Cigar Aficionado in the past 12 months.
    iduno. and i dont care.
    nikostewart:
    25. What company distributes Cuban cigars throughout the world?

what parent company? im not too sure...
    nikostewart:
    how did i do?
    the ones i got wrong: 10, 12, 17, 18, 20 (i am willing to argue this one!!), 22 (also willing to argue on this, but i did get the actual sandwich right), 24, 25.

of the 8 i got wrong 4 were not so much about cigars but a magazine. the other 4 have two that are of questionable answers.

20: 20. Which of the following are proper methods of lighting a cigar: wooden match, Zippo lighter, paper match, cedar spill, butane lighter.

- wooden match, Zippo lighter, paper match, cedar spill, butane lighter. – any of the above

you dont want to use a zippo because of the taste it imparts on the cigar and you dont want to use paper matches because you WILL burn your fingers trying to get that thing lit. there is just not enough time.

i have seen my answer on many occasions yet i have never seen that answer before. there may or may not be more than one definition for that term.

should i call shenanigans on the quiz?
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    But there's nothing wrong with using a paper match. You might just need 3-5 of them.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Congratulations Kuzi, you know enough about cigars to qualify for employment at CA lol!
  • Options
    docbp87:
    Congratulations Kuzi, you know enough about cigars to qualify for employment at CA lol!
    YAY!!!!

i mean...

yay....

i dont think i do. my taste in watches is usually under $500. i drive an 05 subaru. my favorite shoes are Adidas sambas and are not made by the popes cobbler. i am far to "common folk" for those guys.

• Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    i dont think i do. my taste in watches is usually under $500. i drive an 05 subaru. my favorite shoes are Adidas sambas and are not made by the popes cobbler. i am far to "common folk" for those guys.

Well now..that doesn't really make sense. I guarantee you the paper-runners, secretaries, and myriad other non-executive employees at CA aren't wearing Chopard watches and driving new Ferraris. Hell, I'd be pretty confident that even the senior level editors probably aren't either. I've worked at hotels that demanded a minimum $300/night - I worked there, doesn't mean I'd be traveling there on my own dime.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    Hays:
    kuzi16:

Well now..that doesn't really make sense. I guarantee you the paper-runners, secretaries, and myriad other non-executive employees at CA aren't wearing Chopard watches and driving new Ferraris. Hell, I'd be pretty confident that even the senior level editors probably aren't either. I've worked at hotels that demanded a minimum $300/night - I worked there, doesn't mean I'd be traveling there on my own dime.
    but i am qualified to be more than a pee-on. i would just get pissed at the people reviewing. i can see it now:
    "wtf do you mean it has a creaminess like a fresh mozzarella made with milk from a cow raised off of grain not grass? "
    i would get fired quickly.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    That was fun. More or less, I got all the ones that had to do with cigars correct, and all the ones that had to do with CA or Cuba wrong. Ha!
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Ken Light:
    But there's nothing wrong with using a paper match. You might just need 3-5 of them.
    I think paper matches have more chemicals or something usually, which (by the same logic that you don't use a fluid lighter) can impart foulness...
  • Options
    RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    That was some list there. Nice quiz Niko. I still have a lot to learn.
  • Options
    JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    I knew 7 of them. lol
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    nikostewartnikostewart Posts: 451
    Glad everyone enjoyed it! Love me some Cigar trivia.