Home General Discussion
Options

Help me choose...

So, I'm writing my final exam after the first year of college. I am a grandfather, and I am kicking butt in college by getting some of the best grades in class. If I do well on this last exam, I will keep my 4.0 for the entire year!
Rainy day or not, I plan to celebrate with one of the following cigars from my humi. Please help me choose:

• Cohiba Siglo III
  • Hoyo de Monterrey LTD 2007
  • San Christobal de la Habana (2001)
  • Cohiba Reserva (2002, several sizes)
  • Cohiba Sublimes (2004)
  • H. Upman Magnum 50

These are what I think of as my "celebration cigars". I am willing to light up any of these in celebration of finishing my first year of college, but I don't have enough brain cells left to make such a choice. I will pick the one that is most popular by the time I get home from the exam, in about 7 hours from now.

Comments

• Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Congrats! SCdlH fo shizzle.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    That is an excellent choice!

I am getting ready to head out to write that exam. I see by the lack of replies that many may not be familiar with the choices I posted. I will add a few other sticks to the list and see how that goes.
    • Cohiba Siglo III
    • Hoyo de Monterrey LTD 2007
    • San Christobal de la Habana (2001)
    • Cohiba Reserva (2002, several sizes)
    • Cohiba Sublimes (2004)
    • H. Upman Magnum 50
    • Gurka Signature
    • Rocky Patel Serie 'A' Vintage 1990
    • Gurkha Doble Maduro
    • Greycliff 1666

wish me luck!
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I'm gonna call the same . San Christobal

At your age we expect nothing less than a 4.0, son. Ooops, I'm slipping back into that mode again. Sorry.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I saw this earlier, but now that I've had my coffee I can say something semi intelligible.

Don't smoke the Graycliff 1666.

I haven't had a lot of those on your list, and my suggestion would be the same as it is with all of the "help me decide" threads. Smoke one you KNOW is going to perform well. A celebration like that is not the time to try something new. Too many times I've lit up something I thought would be great only to see it be terrible, or not very good, and mar my personal celebration.

Also, congrats on the scholastic achievements. Isn't it amazing how much more serious you take school at an older age?
  • Options
    Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    I would say best choice on there is the MAG 50!!!!! I love that stick and only had it twice and would chose it over everything else! lol
  • Options
    RoyalCigarsRoyalCigars Posts: 106
    Yes Sir! The Cohiba Sublime is what I personally would advise. I guess I am a little late though. You have a great selection!

Happy Smoking!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and advice :)

As it turns out, I wasn't feeling very well after my exam, and held off having that cigar for several hours. After supper I felt better but I didn't feel up to the Sublime or anything too strong. Here is what I did smoke:

Cohiba Reserva Medias Coronas (2002)

You probably won't find it on Google (but you might). It is a size that was only made for the Humidor of 30 Cohiba from 2002. This is a slim cigar, not overly long but it burns forever. I smoked it until it was too short to hold onto. Paired it with Keith's IPA. A great way to end the school year.

• Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would go with the Graycliff.

I'm glad you're going to college. My wife has returned to college after 30 some years and she too has a 4.0. I teach college and I am always happy to see "mature" students. I had a student who was 70 years old once and I told her she would be 74 when she graduated. She told me she would be 74 if she didn't graduate so she was going for it! Even teachers can learn.
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    So, what are you gonna be when you grow up? Congrats on 4.0, that is great. Went back to college when I was in my 40's. Some of the history in the books was familiar as I had been there, go figure. Seriously though, good job.

One of my term papers was on a company called BlueFly. A few guys running around buying up clothes on the cheap, a few to take phone orders, set up a warehouse, a server, a website and they were in business. They got in on the Internet boom and of course grew quickly. I titled the paper Your Fly is Open. I find the business model eerily familiar to ccom's.

• Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    First of all congrats! I'm gonna go San Cristobal
  • Options
    The3Stogies:
    So, what are you gonna be when you grow up?
    Not sure what I will be, lol. The program is called "Computer Programmer Analist", but we cover everything from web design, game creation, robotics, Windows Server 2008R2, Database management and Linux administration, to name a few courses. My plan is to continue is Internet Applications of some sort or another.
    My last job was creating a national E-Learning website for a big company in Canada. They terminated the project over 2 years ago, but they still use the apps that I designed for them on a daily basis.

Weather will be warm Friday, so I will go with the SCDLH, 10 years old and more than ready to be smoked!!

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Enjoy. I was fortunate enough to smoke a San Cristobal de la Habana in the Muralla vitola and it was one of the best Cuban cigars I've had...that's not saying much, but it was absolutely sublime.
  • Options
    I was gone camping (snow prevented me from getting to some of the lakes I wanted to fish) and now that I'm back, I got a chance to check my grades for my first year of college.
    Straight A's for every course. Now I have to find something really good to smoke!

• Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    That's awesome brother, congrats!!!