Home Non Cigar Related

Boats!

bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
Spring time means getting the boat(s) ready for the water. How many of you out there are boaters??? Big boats, little boats, boats with sails, boats with motors...let's see some pictures!!! Tell us about your boat, where you take it, what you've done to it, etc. etc. Okay, I'll start:

Here's my sailboat, Vittoria, a 1968 Bristol 27:

Vittoria

I've done a mountain of modifications to her over the years and the 'to-do' list keeps getting longer. But when she's splashed, that's it. No more work except puttering about at anchor. Time for sailing!

This picture was taken by a friend of mine as we were sailing tandem up the Sheepscot River to a hurricane hole of an anchorage way upstream in order to, well, ride out the incoming hurricane.

I've been doing quite a bit of work to my dinghy and my canoe lately. I'll have some pics of those up at some point, as well as more of sailing. Here's another one of my boats, a real wooden 12 footer:

Boat rides

This boat is perfect for trailering to a lake and taking my daughter out for a picnic. It's beachable so we crash-land wherever we want and go swimming. It has a little 6hp kicker on the back and I put in some oars as well. I'm a big fan of not getting stranded.

We take it into the ocean as well, which is damn scary at times. Here we are last 4th of July for a multi-day camping trip on one of Maines islands:

Cow Island

As you can see, it's TINY! I'm setting up an outhaul anchor system which, when set up, allows you to acommodate for our 10' tides and get to your boat without a dinghy or getting left high and dry. Once set up I'll be able to rope the boat back out to the yellow ball (my anchor) from shore and retrieve it, too, like a clothesline. The red boat is a 12' Bolger bobcat that my friend made out of 1/4" plywood.

I could go on and on about boating forever. I'd love to see some pictures and get a good yarn going!

Comments

• skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I seriously opened this thread expecting to see.........

AND HOES!!!!!
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Quit playing with your Dinghy!!!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Gotta be motorboatin'. You old sailor.

• HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Friggin A bro... I just spend an hour ogling boats on CL, only to come onto Ccom and see this! Lol love that Bristol man! Looks like some good times! Do you have thAt one on a trailer? Or just the smaller one? 4-foot keel right? Must sit up like a beast on the trailer if you have it trailered...
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Ironworker63Ironworker63 Posts: 185
    You know what they say...
    B...Bust
    O...Out
    A...Another
    T...Thousand
  • doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    I will soon be a boat RENTER, as we're renting a John Boat on vacation so I can fish, crab and gig around the creeks in Pawley's Island.

Will soon be the owner of a little 22' deck boat but no pics. I'm already dreaming of cruising around Lake Lanier and Lake Allatoona with the family chasing sunshine and big hungry stripers.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Great pics man! Your first mate is a cutie! :-)

• RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    kuzi16:

This cracked me up........ EVRYTHING I HATE in ONE VIDEO........ two white guys trying to be gangster rapping with some Guy in a top hat and a voice that SUCKS and has to use aSYNTHISIZER to make it cool.... all that and some little titty girl........
    Last But Not Least.... WHO IN THE *** BUYS THIS *** AND MAKES IDIOTS LIKE THIS RICH? TALK ABOUT SOMETHING WRONG WITH THIS COUNTRY!
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Oh Yeah Hays, definitely good times! You are right it's a four foot keel. I don't trailer it but I have had it trailered home for the winter instead of keeping it in the boatyard. Between the keel, the boat and the crutches on top of the deck which I made to hold the mast the thing was WAAAAY up there.

I love the act of sailing and everything that goes into a successful daytrip or cruise. Here's the icing on the cake, beautiful nights at anchor:

Vittoria

That boat you can just barely see in the background is a $450,000 Morris hard aground, waiting for the tide to re-float them. When they finally got free they cranked up the engine, grinded their way off the rest of the ledge and TOOK OFF outta there, completely embarrassed. After that we were completely alone.

Boats definitely can be expensive, but they don't have to be. I got my boat used for an incredible steal, have done all the work, modifications and maintenence myself and I keep it on a mooring instead of a slip. When we cruise we anchor out every night. There are ways to keep it affordable. And we are rewarded with fun sailing and ever-changing million dollar views:

long cove
    bigharpoon:
    Spring time means getting the boat(s) ready for the water. How many of you out there are boaters??? Big boats, little boats, boats with sails, boats with motors...let's see some pictures!!! Tell us about your boat, where you take it, what you've done to it, etc. etc. Okay, I'll start:

Here's my sailboat, Vittoria, a 1968 Bristol 27:

Vittoria

I've done a mountain of modifications to her over the years and the 'to-do' list keeps getting longer. But when she's splashed, that's it. No more work except puttering about at anchor. Time for sailing!

This picture was taken by a friend of mine as we were sailing tandem up the Sheepscot River to a hurricane hole of an anchorage way upstream in order to, well, ride out the incoming hurricane.

I've been doing quite a bit of work to my dinghy and my canoe lately. I'll have some pics of those up at some point, as well as more of sailing. Here's another one of my boats, a real wooden 12 footer:

Boat rides

This boat is perfect for trailering to a lake and taking my daughter out for a picnic. It's beachable so we crash-land wherever we want and go swimming. It has a little 6hp kicker on the back and I put in some oars as well. I'm a big fan of not getting stranded.

We take it into the ocean as well, which is damn scary at times. Here we are last 4th of July for a multi-day camping trip on one of Maines islands:

Cow Island

As you can see, it's TINY! I'm setting up an outhaul anchor system which, when set up, allows you to acommodate for our 10' tides and get to your boat without a dinghy or getting left high and dry. Once set up I'll be able to rope the boat back out to the yellow ball (my anchor) from shore and retrieve it, too, like a clothesline. The red boat is a 12' Bolger bobcat that my friend made out of 1/4" plywood.

I could go on and on about boating forever. I'd love to see some pictures and get a good yarn going!

Nice .... are ou anywhere near Ogunquit Maine
    LOve that place talk about a place to do some great Meditation and eat some seafood...Love it!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Redtailhawkoz:
    kuzi16:

This cracked me up........ EVRYTHING I HATE in ONE VIDEO........ two white guys trying to be gangster rapping with some Guy in a top hat and a voice that SUCKS and has to use aSYNTHISIZER to make it cool.... all that and some little titty girl........
    Last But Not Least.... WHO IN THE *** BUYS THIS *** AND MAKES IDIOTS LIKE THIS RICH? TALK ABOUT SOMETHING WRONG WITH THIS COUNTRY!
    the video is a joke. they made it that bad to make fun of all that you mentioned.
    Pretty close, I sail out of South Portland. Just a little north.
    kuzi16:
    Redtailhawkoz:
    kuzi16:

the video is a joke. they made it that bad to make fun of all that you mentioned.

ROTFLMAO! Hell you cant ell a joke from the real deal anymore These Morons making money with the Crappiest Music i have ever heard.. LOL
    wait that isnt music thats bad poetry with bad noises in the background! LOL
    very Cool Harp love that area! But now im 3500 Miles away! LOL
  • nikostewartnikostewart Posts: 451
    kuzi16:
    Redtailhawkoz:
    kuzi16:

Yup, they work for SNL and their parody songs took off in popularity, Funny stuff
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Sweet craft, bigharpoon. Ever race it? I have a Catalina 27 for easy sunset cruisin, and I occasionally crew on J24s when the regattas hit town. Nothin better than sitting back on a long reach with a big cigar and a single malt. Well, maybe sweet tea.

Oh and as to SNL shorts, you gotta love this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhwbxEfy7fg
  • JimmyCJimmyC Posts: 38
    My current boat is a 27' Sea Ray Amberjack w/ twin Mercruiser I/O's. "Angry Beaver" Use it mostly for fishin' the Sandy Hook NJ area, but do an ocasional weekend cruise up the Hudson River with wifey. Splashin her Fri or Sat & hope to get out for some Striped Bass this weekend. The bite is on! Cigars always taste better out on the water... dunno why but they do. How do ya post pix on this site? Any help?
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Jim, I use drop box to load my pics. Some folks use Flicka. Once you post it on the web you can link it here. Do a search in this forum. I know there are discussions on this topic.
    beatnic:
    Sweet craft, bigharpoon. Ever race it? I have a Catalina 27 for easy sunset cruisin, and I occasionally crew on J24s when the regattas hit town. Nothin better than sitting back on a long reach with a big cigar and a single malt. Well, maybe sweet tea.

Oh and as to SNL shorts, you gotta love this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhwbxEfy7fg
    Thanks! I've never raced my boat but the 'ol saying of 'any two boats on the same tack are racing' surely holds true for me. I'm a constant trim tweeker to get the most out of my boat at all times. However, the picture I posted of sailing up the Sheepscot River shows some horrible sail trim. The wife was in charge of the sails at that time and I've learned, the hard and painful way, that some battles aren't worth fighting. Ha!

I have crewed on J24s as well, but I haven't found a skipper that wasn't a complete ass so I gave up on the 'round the buoys nights. Like you said, I'd rather be with my friends or singlehanding on a long reach with a cigar and a cocktail any day!

JimmyC:
    My current boat is a 27' Sea Ray Amberjack w/ twin Mercruiser I/O's. "Angry Beaver" Use it mostly for fishin' the Sandy Hook NJ area, but do an ocasional weekend cruise up the Hudson River with wifey. Splashin her Fri or Sat & hope to get out for some Striped Bass this weekend. The bite is on! Cigars always taste better out on the water... dunno why but they do. How do ya post pix on this site? Any help?
    Sweet! That sounds great. I wanna see pics! Here's a great thread on how to do just about everything:

http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/71003.aspx