post closed guys....let it go please.

2»

Comments

• Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    xmacro:
    Russ55:
    xmacro:
    Hydrogen, while plentiful, is difficult to manufacture, requires specialized transporation, and is extremely flammable.
    Sounds like gasoline.
    Gasoline is easy to keep in the liquid state; hydrogen, not so much, plus there's techincal hurdles to overcome. http://money.usnews.com/money/personal-finance/articles/2008/01/11/hydrogenfuel-cells
    I'm not arguing with you. Based on what I've read, that article included, I think hydrogen is a good solution, and a likely one. Time will tell.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    PuroFreak:
    laker1963:
    PuroFreak:
    laker1963:
    kuzi16:
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Chevron-profit-rises-36-apf-3877587240.html?x=0

This is why...im all about a company making money...but when gas shoots up and all of a sudden so do the profits...its price gouging at its finest. Thats all there is too it. Yet..our goverment still gives out 4 billion a year in subsidies to the companies....dude...they a fukin making 60billion a year most gas companys! they can afford not to get that other 4 billion in subsidies.
    youve been suckered in my friend.
    the oil company makes about 5 cents or so per gallon. to make that 5 cents they have to spend years looking for oil, drill it, transport that crude oil thousands of miles, refine it, transport it thousands more miles, set up systems to pump it, and get it to you, all while staying within the regulations that the country it is in has set up for the entire system.

on the other hand, the government makes about 50 to 90 cents a gallon off of the same oil and all they have to do is slap a tax on it then sit back and condemn the company for making it so expensive. not to mention the corporate taxes they collect from them as well on the other end.
    where is the gouging here?

I do not wonder why gas is so expensive. I wonder why the government is making it worse.

Do the math... at $.05 per gallon how would all those oil companies have record earnings year after year for years now? Don't be so gullible, guy's. That's a whole lotta company line that you are swallowing there. Think about it. Governments do quite well on oil as well, but it is a fabrication that the oil companies make $.05 a gallon. If that were the case, the investors would be shipping their money into better, more affluent investments. That is what makes the capital system work.
    Actually Kuzi's numbers are correct. The problem is you forget that the bulk of their profits aren't made from gasoline sales. In gas sales they do make approx $.05 a gallon, but they sell the oil to many many other sources and make a lot more money there.

This is part of the reason the left has had such an easy time demonizing the oil companies with the American people. I've grown up with everyone in my family working in the oil and gas business at every level from the top down. People don't understand that the oil companies DO NOT SET THE PRICE OF OIL. In fact they have very little to do with the price, which is set by investors and commodities speculators. Also the sales of oil is a very complicated process with so much government red tape and B.S. that it is very easy for someone to tell a small portion of the story and make it look like the oil companies are **** everyone. People need to learn what they are talking about before making such insanely false comments.
    I am not getting dragged into a left / right arguement here. But Puro that was offensive. Insanely false comments? *** you Puro.
    You can be offended all you want, but that comment wasn't directed at you, it was directed at politicians on the left who make these insanely false statements at the general public, who don't know enough about the business to know any better. Jesus people get so **** thin skinned around here when a discussion turns political... And everyone can piss and moan about it turning political, but with the unbelievable amount of government interference into the oil and gas industry it is a political issue MUCH more than a supply and demand issue.

P.S. Thanks for keeping it mature rather than verbally assaulting people. Classy!
    This is just so typical of you Puro. First you offend anyone who holds a different opinion then your's, then you turn around and whine about "keeping it mature rather then verbally assaulting people". Seems what is good for you is off limits to others. Typical.
    While looking into the numbers a little I found numbers ranging from $.05 at the lowest end of the scale all the way up to $.20 a gallon at the top end. I don't know which is the actual amount, but if the oil company execs, say it is $.05 (they do) then I have very little trouble believing that it is somewhat more then that.
    As for things around here turning to politics all the time? I suggest you get a life. Arguing with faceless people about a subject you can do NOTHING to actually effect and then getting all pissy about it is not very mature either. The political discussions around here were starting to cause a lot of hard feelings and that is why some of us will no longer take place in them. The fact that you and a few other here can't talk about anything without turning it political or making a ("Just a joke") political comment is just sad. I come here to talk and learn about cigars. I certainly would not come here for the political discourse that goes on here all the time, as there is so little interesting points of discussion surrounding politics which occur here. I can hear all the same comments by watching FOX News.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    laker1963:
    PuroFreak:
    laker1963:
    PuroFreak:
    laker1963:
    kuzi16:
    Joeyjoe21_8:

This is why...im all about a company making money...but when gas shoots up and all of a sudden so do the profits...its price gouging at its finest. Thats all there is too it. Yet..our goverment still gives out 4 billion a year in subsidies to the companies....dude...they a fukin making 60billion a year most gas companys! they can afford not to get that other 4 billion in subsidies.
    the oil company makes about 5 cents or so per gallon. to make that 5 cents they have to spend years looking for oil, drill it, transport that crude oil thousands of miles, refine it, transport it thousands more miles, set up systems to pump it, and get it to you, all while staying within the regulations that the country it is in has set up for the entire system.

on the other hand, the government makes about 50 to 90 cents a gallon off of the same oil and all they have to do is slap a tax on it then sit back and condemn the company for making it so expensive. not to mention the corporate taxes they collect from them as well on the other end.

I do not wonder why gas is so expensive. I wonder why the government is making it worse.

Do the math... at $.05 per gallon how would all those oil companies have record earnings year after year for years now? Don't be so gullible, guy's. That's a whole lotta company line that you are swallowing there. Think about it. Governments do quite well on oil as well, but it is a fabrication that the oil companies make $.05 a gallon. If that were the case, the investors would be shipping their money into better, more affluent investments. That is what makes the capital system work.
    Actually Kuzi's numbers are correct. The problem is you forget that the bulk of their profits aren't made from gasoline sales. In gas sales they do make approx $.05 a gallon, but they sell the oil to many many other sources and make a lot more money there.

This is part of the reason the left has had such an easy time demonizing the oil companies with the American people. I've grown up with everyone in my family working in the oil and gas business at every level from the top down. People don't understand that the oil companies DO NOT SET THE PRICE OF OIL. In fact they have very little to do with the price, which is set by investors and commodities speculators. Also the sales of oil is a very complicated process with so much government red tape and B.S. that it is very easy for someone to tell a small portion of the story and make it look like the oil companies are **** everyone. People need to learn what they are talking about before making such insanely false comments.
    I am not getting dragged into a left / right arguement here. But Puro that was offensive. Insanely false comments? *** you Puro.
    You can be offended all you want, but that comment wasn't directed at you, it was directed at politicians on the left who make these insanely false statements at the general public, who don't know enough about the business to know any better. Jesus people get so **** thin skinned around here when a discussion turns political... And everyone can piss and moan about it turning political, but with the unbelievable amount of government interference into the oil and gas industry it is a political issue MUCH more than a supply and demand issue.

P.S. Thanks for keeping it mature rather than verbally assaulting people. Classy!
    This is just so typical of you Puro. First you offend anyone who holds a different opinion then your's, then you turn around and whine about "keeping it mature rather then verbally assaulting people". Seems what is good for you is off limits to others. Typical.
    While looking into the numbers a little I found numbers ranging from $.05 at the lowest end of the scale all the way up to $.20 a gallon at the top end. I don't know which is the actual amount, but if the oil company execs, say it is $.05 (they do) then I have very little trouble believing that it is somewhat more then that.
    As for things around here turning to politics all the time? I suggest you get a life. Arguing with faceless people about a subject you can do NOTHING to actually effect and then getting all pissy about it is not very mature either. The political discussions around here were starting to cause a lot of hard feelings and that is why some of us will no longer take place in them. The fact that you and a few other here can't talk about anything without turning it political or making a ("Just a joke") political comment is just sad. I come here to talk and learn about cigars. I certainly would not come here for the political discourse that goes on here all the time, as there is so little interesting points of discussion surrounding politics which occur here. I can hear all the same comments by watching FOX News.
    Like I said, you can be offended all you want... I didn't call you insane or even imply that you were. I said people make insanely false statements. If you don't want to get involved in political discussions that is fine, nobody is making you. I never got pissy or even said anything negative about anyone here... From now on if I want to discuss politics I'll just discuss with everyone but you and leave you to only discuss cigars. I'm fine with that, but to say I "need to get a life" because I'm passionate about politics is really sad. Some people would say we all need to get a life instead of spending so much time puffing on a little burning brown stick, but it's really none of their business how we spend our time. Just like with me being interested in politics...
  • Options
    Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    Yo guys, chill out here........I think we have had enough drama on the forums the past month not to really want anymore.....im sorry for creating a sensitive topic.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    PuroFreak:
    laker1963:
    PuroFreak:
    laker1963:
    PuroFreak:
    laker1963:
    kuzi16:
    Joeyjoe21_8:

Like I said, you can be offended all you want... I didn't call you insane or even imply that you were. I said people make insanely false statements. If you don't want to get involved in political discussions that is fine, nobody is making you. I never got pissy or even said anything negative about anyone here... From now on if I want to discuss politics I'll just discuss with everyone but you and leave you to only discuss cigars. I'm fine with that, but to say I "need to get a life" because I'm passionate about politics is really sad. Some people would say we all need to get a life instead of spending so much time puffing on a little burning brown stick, but it's really none of their business how we spend our time. Just like with me being interested in politics...
    People need to learn what they are talking about before making such insanely false comments.

That is a quote from your earlier post. That was from a post which you quoted myself and Kuzi and included those quote blocks into your post, yet you claim you were not directing these comments at me? LMFAO. Like most political discussions here this got silly very quickly, and like most political discussions here it ends with people not having the parts to stand up and take responsibility for some of their comments.
    Being passionate about politics is NOT the same as attacking everything you see as a threat to your own opinions. That's called being closed minded.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Whatever... I'm still going to say people get too damn thin skinned. Even if it was directed at you I said a statement was false, I didn't say anything about you personally. Joey was quoted in that conversation as well, but they weren't directed at him and he didn't take it that way. But I guess you'll never see anyone's side but your own. And THAT is called being close minded. But I won't bicker about this anymore and will instead stick to the facts...

The facts are that oil companies typically make from $.05-$.08 on a gallon of gas and Exxon Mobil has a profit margin around 9.0-9.5% each year... To put that in perspective, Google has a profit margin around 25%. Where are all the people screaming and yelling about Google and "big search engines" and asking why they are allowed to make outrageous profits every year?
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    It's all the fault of the evil rich oil companies! Doesn't everyone know that? Just ask the Dems, they always tell the truth and look out for the little man.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    If they would just give their profits to the government, the government will use it wisely!
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    ::::the bandwagon opens for people to begin reinforcing the others opinions::::
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Vulchor:
    ::::the bandwagon opens for people to begin reinforcing the others opinions::::
    Just couldn't resist a little satire my friend, no worries, I have no intention of piling on, I mean joining the debate. As I am sure you have noticed I have been absent from these discussions and will continue to abstain. I do enjoy reading them and keepig a running score of open wounds LOL
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Why the f**k are you fighting about gas prices?!?!?!
    Fact: gas prices have almost doubled in the last two years.
    Fact: Someone's collecting hordes of cash becaues of it and it ain't you.
    Fact: If the government steps in and raises taxes on oil companies they will only pass along the cost to you.

• Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:
    Why the f**k are you fighting about gas prices?!?!?!
    Fact: gas prices have almost doubled in the last two years.
    Fact: Someone's collecting hordes of cash becaues of it and it ain't you.
    Fact: If the government steps in and raises taxes on oil companies they will only pass along the cost to you.

All true Steve. That said, Govt IS NOT the only issue with these OPEC/Corporation bastards.....but you are right.