Home Cigar 101
Options

temp vs humidity what to do

tjptjp Posts: 26
so cal heat is slowly going up, my issue or problem is those days the a/c is not sucking my cigar money dry the temp in my room with the humi is alittle warm. besides pushing forward the charlie sheen walk in humidor project, what can i do?? bump humidity higher, more moisture for higher temp? i have 1 analog humi gauge and 2 digital gauges, one closer to the opening says 70 temp, 70 humi, lower one was reading 75/76 temp, 68 ish humi. the humidor is the footlocker w approx 200 sticks, 1/2 to 3/4 in boxes with a humi pack in them, and the lids of those slightly cracked open, the other shelves. im temped to crank the beer fridge do its highest temp, then wrap the humi box, but hoping to be able to leave the humi where it lies and fix its issue. Ideals, experiences? thanks in advance everyone

Comments

• Options
    AQUADGIO1200AQUADGIO1200 Posts: 406
    Try buying a giant 100qt plus cooler and put your humi's inside and keep in the coolest part of your home.
  • Options
    tjptjp Posts: 26
    you think a cooler dor maybe, but what do i use for the cooling effect? i have a huge igloo but its the grad temp through the day and temp rising i worry about.
  • Options
    AQUADGIO1200AQUADGIO1200 Posts: 406
    Another option is to buy a used or new wine fridge (thermo electric type), get a 36 bottle or bigger size...that will keep your cigars below 70 degrees and use Boveda packs or the popular beads that alot of folks around here use.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Honestly, it doesn't sound like there's much of a problem - your humidity is within the proper range (anything from 63 to 72 is probably fine), and temp isn't that much of a problem - plenty of guys on here store them around 75F - 80F with no problems.

If it comes down to humidity vs temp, humidity is more important; just keep the cigars around 75F or lower and there shouldn't be any problem
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Another thing to think about is location - make sure your humidor is away from exterior walls. Putting it inside a closet might buy you a few degrees too.

• Options
    Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    Im actually getting mine ready to move into my office closet and will also cover the blinds in there with a set of black drapes and a fan to cirulate the air
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    yeah closets are the best. I have noticed that I may have to move my stash downstairs as even though I have my stuff in my closet and all, the room gets hot even when it's 70 outside. Thing is my wife doesn't like my cigars being downstairs. I wish I had a basement.
  • Options
    RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    The closet works great. I keep my humidors in my wall locker on the floor. Temp stays low. My RH has been changing for some reason, lately. But it's been between 67-72. Still good to go.