Options

Big Ring Gauge FAD

2»

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    BlueRings:
    kuzi16:
    i have smoked them. i just enjoy smaller rings. there are a few companies that dont offer the smaller rings as often. there is no LFD LD maduro Lancero or lonesdale. the only thing they have smaller is a petite carona.

Camacho triple maduro doesnt come in a size under 50. i would love to see that in a 6.75 x 46.

there are many cigars that i want in a smaller ring that arent offered.
    i usually top out at about 52. on rare occasions ill have the 60.

If don't know if you mean the LFD DL Lancero Oscuro there certainly available. Couple of places have them and they are very good.
    if you are speaking of the culebras then they do exist. however, i have never seen them on sale not braided. If you could PM on the location of these lanceros, please shoot me a PM. i would be very interested in getting my hads on them.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Russ55:
    doing that for the benefit of the blend, and not because that's what they think will sell.
    It's not. They do it because they sell. The flavor difference is just a matter of mathematics. You get the most flavor from wrapper and ligero, and in a larger ring gauge you have more seco and volado for combustion than in a smaller ring.
  • Options
    Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    kuzi16:
    i have smoked them. i just enjoy smaller rings. there are a few companies that dont offer the smaller rings as often. there is no LFD LD maduro Lancero or lonesdale. the only thing they have smaller is a petite carona.

Camacho triple maduro doesnt come in a size under 50. i would love to see that in a 6.75 x 46.

there are many cigars that i want in a smaller ring that arent offered.
    i usually top out at about 52. on rare occasions ill have the 60.
    I'm with you on the Camacho Triple Maduro. While it is one of my favorite sticks I would really love to try it in a smaller RG. Just to see how it would compare to its larger brothers.
  • Options
    ztanner25ztanner25 Posts: 48
    Russ55:
    I think calling it a Fad has a negative connotation that is probably a bit insulting to those who enjoy them. Big, full bodied cigars certainly do seem to be very popular right now. I see some blends that are only produced in these sizes, and I hope the blenders are doing that for the benefit of the blend, and not because that's what they think will sell when in reality a smaller ring gauge would taste better.

I don't know if that made any sense. It did in my mind, but it's early and I haven't had coffee yet.

Even though referring to it as a fad may have a negative connotation to some folks, I think it is a fad. It is drifting with the market if you will, and at some point it will be "cooler" to smoke a smaller ring gauge and they might rave about how flavorful it is. Don't get me wrong, I love certain big ring gauge cigars, but lately it just seems a bit over-the-top.

Someone presented another good point, I forget who posted it, but you said that 5-7 years ago these huge ring gauges were not widely available or only in certain blends. That makes sense to me as to why alot of folks are really into them now because it introduces a new aspect into smoking a cigar. I'm glad they're on the market, but I just wish it wasn't the only thing going on sale. Like someone stated though, I think it is changing.
  • Options
    ztanner25ztanner25 Posts: 48
    Russ55:
    I think calling it a Fad has a negative connotation that is probably a bit insulting to those who enjoy them. Big, full bodied cigars certainly do seem to be very popular right now. I see some blends that are only produced in these sizes, and I hope the blenders are doing that for the benefit of the blend, and not because that's what they think will sell when in reality a smaller ring gauge would taste better.

I don't know if that made any sense. It did in my mind, but it's early and I haven't had coffee yet.

Even though referring to it as a fad may have a negative connotation to some folks, I think it is a fad. It is drifting with the market if you will, and at some point it will be "cooler" to smoke a smaller ring gauge and they might rave about how flavorful it is. Don't get me wrong, I love certain big ring gauge cigars, but lately it just seems a bit over-the-top.

Someone presented another good point, I forget who posted it, but you said that 5-7 years ago these huge ring gauges were not widely available or only in certain blends. That makes sense to me as to why alot of folks are really into them now because it introduces a new aspect into smoking a cigar. I'm glad they're on the market, but I just wish it wasn't the only thing going on sale. Like someone stated though, I think it is changing.

Edit: sorry for the double post...won't let me delete one of them.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    In the end, we can only smoke what they make.
  • Options
    RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    Theedge:
    I just pretend I'm Clay Morrow.

I am Clay Morrow! Love that ***!
  • Options
    Im not a Big fan of the Smaller rings they tend to Clog,LOL I love the Bigger rings, 55. 60.. I like to call then JawBreakers... If i had my druthers i would have 5x50's all day long
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Who the heck is Clay Morrow?
  • Options
    bigharpoon:

He is a Character played by Ron Pearlman on Sons of Anarchy... Smokes big Fattys the WHole show, ive seen him with Liga's, Camachos , Big Man O Wars...... They are always smoking Cigars on the show and have even Brought a Cigar Shop into the show... ITS AWESOME!
  • Options
    fuentejpsfuentejps Posts: 345
    agree totally. i hate skinny cigars. burn too hot for me.....a nice torp or dbl rob is my fave size....also agree w/ balance. i do like med-full cigars but not ass kickers
    xmacro:
    We've had this discussion before - I still like the big rings much more than corona's and buy 54+ whenever possible, but I'll be happy when the full-body fad is over. Enough with the cigars who's biggest selling point is "NICOTINE! AND LOTS OF IT!!". Bring back the balanced cigars.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Redtailhawkoz:
    bigharpoon:

He is a Character played by Ron Pearlman on Sons of Anarchy... Smokes big Fattys the WHole show, ive seen him with Liga's, Camachos , Big Man O Wars...... They are always smoking Cigars on the show and have even Brought a Cigar Shop into the show... ITS AWESOME!
    When did they bring in a cigar shop? Have they started Season 4 already?
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    alienmisprint:
    Redtailhawkoz:
    bigharpoon:

Dude season two... the League had that shop in town.

• Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    We've had this discussion before - I still like the big rings much more than corona's and buy 54+ whenever possible, but I'll be happy when the full-body fad is over. Enough with the cigars who's biggest selling point is "NICOTINE! AND LOTS OF IT!!". Bring back the balanced cigars.
    Yes we have before, and I would have to agree...I will not be sorry to see the Big Ring Gauge sticks go...although, I would have to disagree w/ the full bodied notion. A stick doesn't have to be huge to be full bodied. I just prefer fuller bodied sticks, usually more complex and flavorful imo.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Krieg:
    xmacro:
    Yes we have before, and I would have to agree...I will not be sorry to see the Big Ring Gauge sticks go...although, I would have to disagree w/ the full bodied notion. A stick doesn't have to be huge to be full bodied. I just prefer fuller bodied sticks, usually more complex and flavorful imo.
    Funny, but I never even thought of this until you guy's were talking about it last time we had this discussion.
    I seem to be all over the place on ring gauge. I have had some sticks that to me were just superb in a larger ring gauge ( CAO Brazilian Gol) but I love some others in the Corona size such as the House Blend Brazilian.
    If I had to choose only one size to smoke all the time it would have to be a Toro as it seems a nice balance between gauge and length.
    I like to try a stick I find interesting in all the sizes available for it and then choose from there. In most cases it will be in the Toro size for me but some sticksw just seem to perform better in larger gauges and some better in the smaller gauges.
    Same with body I guess, I prefer full bodied / full flavor sticks but do enjoy some med or mild sticks from time to time depending on the stick. To me it is more about the flavor profile then anything else.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    If skinny cigars are burning too hot for you, then you are smoking them too fast. If skinny cigars "clog" (I assume you mean that the draw gets plugged?) then they are likely over humidified.

Big rings are more forgiving to user error than small rings, which require a bit of babying sometimes.
  • Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Had a MOW R 6X60 tonight, helluva a stick after a year of aging...
  • Options
    alienmisprint:
    Redtailhawkoz:
    bigharpoon:

It was season 2 season three just ending i belive it wil be a long time for us to see new stuff.