Home Cigar 101

new humidor, first humidor

baknoxbaknox Posts: 15
OK guys, I'm looking for some imput on getting my first humidor. Aside from going twice as big as I think I need, do you guys have any other advice or tips for chosing one? A few I've been looking at have a glass top, do you have to worry about those sealing as well?? Here are a few that I'm looking into getting: http://www.cheaphumidors.com/p_medium-humidors_HUM-100CJ.html http://www.cheaphumidors.com/p_medium-humidors_HUM-150SW.html http://www.cheaphumidors.com/p_medium-humidors_DH-150G-DECO.html http://www.cheaphumidors.com/p_medium-humidors_HUM-200IN.html

Comments

• doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    They're all pretty nice looking humidors, go with the one that just feels right and you know will look great where you want to put it. I wouldn't worry about the glass top. Both of my humis are glass tops (one has glass doors in the front as well) and I haven't had any problems with the glass. I did have to tighten up the seal on the one with glass only on the top, but that was for the drawers, not the top.

• The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Glass top would be good for seeing the hygrometers and cigars without opening the lid, sometimes wish I had gotten one of those instead. Lesson I learned is the first one will probably become your daily humi and it is good to learn how to season it and maintain it before buying something bigger and more expensive. I think I see more than one humi in your future.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    The3Stogies:
    Glass top would be good for seeing the hygrometers and cigars without opening the lid
    +1 here.
  • rossdavey2rossdavey2 Posts: 979
    Just on looks I would go for the first one, but agree with the glass top so you can see the info. Having said that not a day goes by when I don't open mine so I see it enough anyway.
  • drpepperdudedrpepperdude Posts: 298
    Whatever humidor you decide on, make positively absolutely sure of TWO things:

1. Calibrate your digital hygrometer

2. Season your humidor and make darn sure it's well-seasoned before putting any sticks in it.

• The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    boydmcgowan:
    The3Stogies:
    Glass top would be good for seeing the hygrometers and cigars without opening the lid
    +1 here.
    I dunno fellas - I find myself opening my glasstop much less than my others, thats true... but its also GOOD to open your humidors periodically. Allows fresh air to circulate in - and ammonia gases to circulate OUT.

• ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    The Sniper:
    boydmcgowan:
    The3Stogies:
    +1 here.
    I dunno fellas - I find myself opening my glasstop much less than my others, thats true... but its also GOOD to open your humidors periodically. Allows fresh air to circulate in - and ammonia gases to circulate OUT.

Totally agree with Glen here. I personally like opening mine and getting some fresh air in and taking in a nice whiff of the glorious goodness of my sticks :)
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    ENFIDL:
    The Sniper:
    boydmcgowan:
    The3Stogies:
    +1 here.

Totally agree with Glen here. I personally like opening mine and getting some fresh air in and taking in a nice whiff of the glorious goodness of my sticks :)
    Good point guys, hadn't thought of that aspect of it.

I was more thinking that the temptation to keep on opening and closing the new humi excessively is sometimes too much to bear because of that glorious goodness within. haha. I guess the moral of the story is moderation, whatever that is. Because I ruined one humi and the cigars within a while back from overfussing with it I now exclusively buy glass top ones because I can oogle the goodies without opening it too often. If only I'd made the switch to beads and a digital hygro years ago. . . . live and learn I guess. Anyway, that was a good point to add you guys, thanks.
  • baknoxbaknox Posts: 15
    when I go to order, there are all these upgrades you can select, Humidifier upgrade, Hygrometer Upgrade, EZ Humidor seasoning kit, & EZ Hygrometer Calibrating Kit. the humidor already comes with a large rectangular humidifier.
  • ENFIDL:
    The Sniper:
    boydmcgowan:
    The3Stogies:
    +1 here.

I have a glass top because I like the look so much more, but I find myself opening it up every day anyway. I mean, I can only see the top tray. I gotta make sure everything on the bottom is still there from the day before. Underpants gnomes also like cigars.
  • baknoxbaknox Posts: 15
    My new Humidor just arrived yesterday in the mail. I didn't go with any of the original ones that I had posted. If I can figure out how to post a picture on here I'll do that later. I wiped it down with distilled water, and set a glass bowl with distilled water inside. calibrating both the digital and analog (just for the heck of it) hygrometers right now. Only problem so far is the humidifier unit that is supposed to stick to the lid, doesn't stick to the lid. would I be ok just using a couple drops of crazy glue or super glue to secure the magnets to the lid without having to worry about affecting the cigars?
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    baknox:
    My new Humidor just arrived yesterday in the mail. I didn't go with any of the original ones that I had posted. If I can figure out how to post a picture on here I'll do that later. I wiped it down with distilled water, and set a glass bowl with distilled water inside. calibrating both the digital and analog (just for the heck of it) hygrometers right now. Only problem so far is the humidifier unit that is supposed to stick to the lid, doesn't stick to the lid. would I be ok just using a couple drops of crazy glue or super glue to secure the magnets to the lid without having to worry about affecting the cigars?
    I wouldn't recommend that. Super glues generally have very strong smells. You don't want that smell being absorbed by the wood, or cigars inside. I would probably just put the humidifier at the bottom anyway. Humid air rises. Also, if we're talking about a foam puck you might want to consider trading that out for beads, or boveda packs. Those are much more consistent means of providing humidity than the foam.
  • DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    OK, I agree, but I have to use what I have. I used super glue to adhere the lids of the homemade pucks I made so that they wouldn't fall off when I close the lid. I left them outside for a couple days and they had no smell. I think it is doable, but you have to be careful.
  • bipbip Posts: 483
    DSWarmack:
    OK, I agree, but I have to use what I have. I used super glue to adhere the lids of the homemade pucks I made so that they wouldn't fall off when I close the lid. I left them outside for a couple days and they had no smell. I think it is doable, but you have to be careful.
    That's because yours isn't made out of wood
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    baknox:

Had the same problem. Went to the hardware store and bought some double backed sticky foam, very thin, and some magnets. Got some scrap metal pieces at work, attached them to the humis, attached the magnets to the pucks, hygrometers and humidifiers. Now I can mount them in diffent arrays if needed also. Working well so far. Sticky backed magnets are ok but not agressive enough for the high humidity it seems.