Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Guns online???

clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
So for all you gun enthusiasts out there, who is the cigar.com of the gun world?

Comments

• Options
    DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    0 for buying guns, its against federal law (they will only sell to people with an FFL, you can get a local gun broker to transfer one for you aprox $25). In that case Gunbroker.com. Ammo would be aimsurplus.com!
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    :-(
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Gunbroker works great, a fellow artist at the shop has purchased two assault rifles from there and sold one. He did have to have it shipped to a gun shop (someone with a FFL), but they only charged him like $20 as a handling fee. The money you'll save on gunbroker.com more than makes up for it, it is basically Ebay for guns.
  • Options
    kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    I have used budsgunshop and auctionarms and gunbroker .... all depends on what you want.
  • Options
    ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    It depends on what you want gunbroker.com is fantastic I have purchased 4 shotguns, 1 nagant revolver, 1 mousin-nagant rifle, a K98. I use a C&R FFL so my nagant revolver, mousin-nagant and k98 were shipped to my door. I have a local gun guy that handles all of my transfers for shotguns and modern weapons. I also use auctionarms.com.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Allright you bastiches....

I've never owned a gun myself...

I've fired a .22 rifle for target shooting and have owned many pellet guns as a youth.

I want to get into a firing range with a good weapon (hand gun or rifle) that is accurate and fun to shoot, but I also would like a weapon that would be good for home security

I don't live in a bad area, but my thought process is, as some other BOTL has stated, if I live in the good area isn't that where the good stuff is???

Any suggestions would be appreciated, and I won't buy one right away, but I'd like suggestions!

And sorry to hijack the thread, but it seemed fitting
  • Options
    bigjohn125bigjohn125 Posts: 476
    I would get an AR15. There are so many variants out there that you should be able to find exactly what you want. Fun to shoot and great for home defense. Good luck.
  • Options
    letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    Lasabar:

I've fired a .22 rifle for target shooting and have owned many pellet guns as a youth.

I want to get into a firing range with a good weapon (hand gun or rifle) that is accurate and fun to shoot, but I also would like a weapon that would be good for home security

I don't live in a bad area, but my thought process is, as some other BOTL has stated, if I live in the good area isn't that where the good stuff is???

Any suggestions would be appreciated, and I won't buy one right away, but I'd like suggestions!

Alrighty there Lassie, if you are looking for home defense I would get a shotgun. An AR-15 is a great gun and fun to shoot, but the bullets will go through walls, neighbors houses, your kids bedrooms(if you have kids) Shotgun is best for home defense.

If you are looking for a pistol for home defense I would get a revolver for starting out, for the sole reason that when **** hits the fan, you are nervous and forget things. Revolvers shoot every time, and there arent any safeties on them.

If you are experienced with the gun you are using, you can use anything you want and use it effectively. I personally have semi auto handguns I use for home defense, but I have been using and practicing with them for years....Its all experience levels. I'm sure some people will disagree with me.
  • Options
    kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Lasabar:

So lassie you are looking for something fun to shoot ...... I would suggest a few different guns depending on what you want to spend. For under 250 you can get a NEF single shot with a bull barrel and scope in a wide array of calibers from .223 to 7mm rem ..... I have the 223 and the 22.250 and love them both. If your looking to spend a bit more the AR15 is always a great choice and you can drop on a great deal 600-675 but generally between 750-1100 depending on what you want as far as options ...... Also a saiga ak can be had for a good price and the maintenance is nothing and rounds for all of the above are cheap except the 22.250 . Any which way shooting is a blast and I would strongly recommend it to anyone.
  • Options
    MR SmithMR Smith Posts: 2
    Our product THE-BACKUP offers the best accessibility to you home security shotgun.
    Check it out The-BackUp | The Bedside Gun Rack

Only 39.95 Free shipping
  • Options
    Lasabar:

Two ways to look at it:

Home only: Go with a short barreled shotgun, any will work (mossberg 500A Military grade trigger assymbaly is my personal Favorite). Load it with turkey shot (HEVI-Shot HEVI-13 Turkey Loads) and Rifled Slugs (sabot for smooth barrel and non for rifled) alternating the shot for the most realistic scenario.

Home and out-on-the-town: S&W M&P .40Cal Compact, with a 10 round mag of frangible (Fiocchi Exacta Match Rifle Ammunition 40SFNT, 40 S&W, Sinterfire Frangible, 125 GR) and non-frangible (Federal Premium Vital Shok Ammunition P40HS2, 40 S&W, Hydra-Shok JHP, 155 GR) rounds, alternating the shots for what you fear most. These are my suggestions, and what I personally carry, and have at home, along with a LONG list of others.

Only paranoid people carry guns...

When I am carrying a gun, I don't have anything to be paranoid about!!!
  • Options
    ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    DSWarmack:
    Two ways to look at it:

Home only: Go with a short barreled shotgun, any will work (mossberg 500A Military grade trigger assymbaly is my personal Favorite). Load it with turkey shot (HEVI-Shot HEVI-13 Turkey Loads) and Rifled Slugs (sabot for smooth barrel and non for rifled) alternating the shot for the most realistic scenario.

Home and out-on-the-town: S&W M&P .40Cal Compact, with a 10 round mag of frangible (Fiocchi Exacta Match Rifle Ammunition 40SFNT, 40 S&W, Sinterfire Frangible, 125 GR) and non-frangible (Federal Premium Vital Shok Ammunition P40HS2, 40 S&W, Hydra-Shok JHP, 155 GR) rounds, alternating the shots for what you fear most. These are my suggestions, and what I personally carry, and have at home, along with a LONG list of others.

Only paranoid people carry guns...

When I am carrying a gun, I don't have anything to be paranoid about!!!
    +1
    I have to say I am very partial to Springfield Arms XD series. My wife and I both have XD 45's for home security in each nightstand in biometric safe boxes (17 mo old son) that open when touched. I like to carry an XD 40 Subcompact I think it is a great gun. I also sometime switch and carry a Kahr 40 CW which is a rather good gun for the price. I conceal carry everyday and everywhere it is legal.
    I agree that an 18 - 22in 12 ga staggered with different shot is great for home defense, you have a better chance to hit a critical area of the intruder.
  • Options
    letsgowithbob:
    Lasabar:

Alrighty there Lassie, if you are looking for home defense I would get a shotgun. An AR-15 is a great gun and fun to shoot, but the bullets will go through walls, neighbors houses, your kids bedrooms(if you have kids) Shotgun is best for home defense.

If you are looking for a pistol for home defense I would get a revolver for starting out, for the sole reason that when **** hits the fan, you are nervous and forget things. Revolvers shoot every time, and there arent any safeties on them.

If you are experienced with the gun you are using, you can use anything you want and use it effectively. I personally have semi auto handguns I use for home defense, but I have been using and practicing with them for years....Its all experience levels. I'm sure some people will disagree with me.
    I agree whole-heartedly. I have always said that a pump-action 12 gauge is the best home defense weapon on the planet. It is safer to fire inside for residential areas; you don't have to aim it at all if you are in a small area like the inside of an apartment, just point and shoot; and not least of all, the sound of a 12 gauge pump shucking a round in the breach is bone-chilling enough that you probably won't even have to fire it.

I also agree completely with Bob on the revolver, for all the same reasons. It cannot jam, there is no action to perform to chamber a round, and even if you happen to get a bad cartridge, all you have to do is pull the trigger again to go to the next round. As far as safety inside, there's this ammunition called MAGSAFE. They are pre-fragmented bullets that will not penetrate more than a quarter inch of sheetrock, but due to their pre-fragmented nature, they rend flesh from bone. As far as I know, they make them for all the major pistol calibers, but they are very expensive. Of course, I would only suggest having a mag or two on hand for home defense, target shoot with round that have a similar powder load but are significantly cheaper.
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    you don't have to aim it at all if you are in a small area like the inside of an apartment, just point and shoot;

This is only true in the movies. In reality, the shot group from a 12 at across the room distances isn't much bigger than a baseball. And you're responsible for whatever's behind your target as well.

Before purchasing anything, I would really recommend trying to get a chance to handle and shoot the ones you are interested in. If you don't have gun nut buddies that you can go shooting with and try theirs, many ranges do rentals. (If you intent to rent, bring a friend along. Many places won't rent if you are by yourself and don't already have a firearm. It's a suicide prevention thing.)
  • Options
    zoom6zoom:
    you don't have to aim it at all if you are in a small area like the inside of an apartment, just point and shoot;

This is only true in the movies. In reality, the shot group from a 12 at across the room distances isn't much bigger than a baseball. And you're responsible for whatever's behind your target as well.

Before purchasing anything, I would really recommend trying to get a chance to handle and shoot the ones you are interested in. If you don't have gun nut buddies that you can go shooting with and try theirs, many ranges do rentals. (If you intent to rent, bring a friend along. Many places won't rent if you are by yourself and don't already have a firearm. It's a suicide prevention thing.)

+1 Using a weapon is the only way to know if it is a good fit for sure. you might like the way a XD fires over an M&P, and it could be a VERY significant difference for you. Gun nut buddies are the best way to pick one. That way you can go out somewhere like a WMA Range and not have to worry about the price of their ammo, or rental, or time... . If you have any friends that are shooters let them know, if they dont have the one you want to shoot one of their buddies might. I have a friend that lives 20 min. away from me and owns over 100 (conservative estimate). If I told him someone wanted to shoot one and he didn't want to go shoot (doesn't happen often) he'd give it to me and say have at it! Guns are the most fun way to turn $$$ into noise!
  • Options
    zoom6zoom:

Now, that would depend on the choke used on the shotgun. You'll find that the spread on a shortened barrel shotgun with no choke tube is a good bit larger than a baseball at a room-width distance. Also, even at just a baseball size, that doesn't require any aiming. If you can't put a baseball sized projectile somewhere on the assailant's body without bringing the weapon up to your shoulder to aim, you'd probably be better off just getting a couple of bad-ass dogs to guard your place.

I do agree with the collateral damage, that's why I recommended magsafe ammo for the pistol. Another advantage of the shotgun is the availability of non-lethal munitions though. No worry about collateral damage if you're shooting a bean-bag or rock salt at the culprits.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the suggestions gents! Maybe the Shotgun is the way to go