Home Cigar 101
Options

Boxed cigars

beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
How long is a sealed box good for? Are the sticks aging? Maintaining? Getting old? Yep, I'm still contemplating this stuff.

Comments

• Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Sticks will age perfectly fine in a sealed box...I personally open all of my boxes when I get them so that I know there are no issues with them and have a look at the cigars from time to time making sure no issues arise...
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Diamondog:
    Sticks will age perfectly fine in a sealed box...I personally open all of my boxes when I get them so that I know there are no issues with them and have a look at the cigars from time to time making sure no issues arise...
    What this guy said ;-).
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    beatnic:
    How long is a sealed box good for? Are the sticks aging? Maintaining? Getting old? Yep, I'm still contemplating this stuff.
    in or out of a humidor?
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    If you're talking about IN a humidor, then they are good for years and years, and will age just fine, better even if all together in a box, IMO. Out of a humidor, I wouldn't let them go more than a few days at most...
  • Options
    Ok, I see where you are going here. One clarifier. How long would you be comfortable with holding a sealed box before opening it? Say you bought a box, but don't have room in the humidor to store them all? I see pictures of walls of boxes in warehouses. How long are they there? Can I hold one , say 6 mo., without worry? I'm working toward needing that, how shall we say, humidor bigger than you really need, stage. I want to buy boxes when I see a good deal, but........
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    The thing about the rows and rows of boxes you see in the warehouse is that they're all humidified, the warehouse itself is humidified and acts as a giant humidor. Here's what I'd recommend you do, get some 1 gallon ziploc storage bags and some Boveda humidification packs, put the box in the bag with a pack and seal it up. With that, you can keep the box humidified and not have to worry about having room in the humidor. That's what I do with some boxes I just don't have room for and it works perfectly, plus the Boveda packs last a long time in this application as there is no cedar sucking the moisture out of them.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    beatnic:
    Ok, I see where you are going here. One clarifier. How long would you be comfortable with holding a sealed box before opening it? Say you bought a box, but don't have room in the humidor to store them all? I see pictures of walls of boxes in warehouses. How long are they there? Can I hold one , say 6 mo., without worry? I'm working toward needing that, how shall we say, humidor bigger than you really need, stage. I want to buy boxes when I see a good deal, but........
    Like I said... A few days tops. Cigar boxes are not made to hold a seal like a humidor is, so as soon as they leave a humidity control, they begin losing humidity.
  • Options
    "Cigar boxes are not made to hold a seal like a humidor is."
    got it.