Home Cigar 101
Options

Giving the taste buds a break....

Does anyone out there find that you need to take a break from cigars for a few days or longer to reset your palette? I am finding that I am missing subtle tastes in my cigars and am thinking of taking a break for a few days. Most everything I am smoking seems to just taste muddy.

Comments

• Options
    RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    It's been talked about before. I drink V8 juice, this helps reset my palate. There are other things you can do. But this is what works for me. You might want to try that. If not, others use tonic water. I don't like the taste of that unless it's with a drink, lol. The acid in these drinks helps replenish your tatse buds. I'm no expert but, I'm pretty sure the more knowledgable guys on here will chime in any minute.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i dont smoke enough to really have this problem. yes there are days where i have two cigars. yes there are weeks where i have a cigar every day. but usually i naturally dont have a cigar every day.
    like i said, this usually isnt a problem for me.
    i also tend to smoke medium cigars more often than not. if i was smoking 2-3 full power cigars a day i would be a bit more worried about blowing out my palate.
  • Options
    Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Schweppes (sp) OR Canada Dry Bitter Lemon drink helps a lot. Not that I smoke more than one a day at best..
  • Options
    MTuccelliMTuccelli Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭
    My taste buds know if they act up I will smoke them into submission!!
  • Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Try Club soda....
  • Options
    mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    I go the mater juice route as well, well it's more like a bloody mary but with only pepper, tobasco and salt.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    MTuccelli:
    My taste buds know if they act up I will smoke them into submission!!
    This is my solution as well! You can also grab something stouter to wake them up. I try to start out with medium type smokes and then move to the hard stuff each day.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I don't know if it's taste bud fatigue, but every so often, a cigar is just not palatable to me, I had a day like that yesterday where nothing was tasting good. Then there are those days where I just don't want a cigar. I think a good rest every once in a while is a good thing if you're accustomed to smoking daily.
  • Options
    boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    dinobelair:
    Does anyone out there find that you need to take a break from cigars for a few days or longer to reset your palette? I am finding that I am missing subtle tastes in my cigars and am thinking of taking a break for a few days. Most everything I am smoking seems to just taste muddy.
    Yup had this exact thing happen to me about amonth ago, where verything did taste muddy. I think alot of it was becuase I was on a huge AJ kick and since the majority of his smokes are both full bodied and full flavored and dominated by heavy flavors of earth chocolate and leather, thats where the muddy flavors came about for me. the cigars we're fine. it was my palate that had had too much.

I did take two weeks off and then smoked a few old time favorites and that snapped me out of it. Also I've found that this was really the transition for me away from ultra full cigars and back into my sweet spot of medium with the occassional full. rightback into my wheelhouse.

haha, so don't wory man, just give it some time and don't force a cigar when you don't want one. And when you do grab something more medium or something that you know you like.
  • Options
    DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    boydmcgowan:
    dinobelair:
    Yup had this exact thing happen to me about amonth ago...

Or you could quit opening your mouth while swimming in rivers, that helped mine quit tasting like mud image
  • Options
    boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    DSWarmack:
    boydmcgowan:
    dinobelair:
    Yup had this exact thing happen to me about amonth ago...

Or you could quit opening your mouth while swimming in rivers, that helped mine quit tasting like mud image
    hahaha, I do like a nice earthy cigar . . . . . .
  • Options
    GadwinDuilGadwinDuil Posts: 474
    I give my palate a rest from cigars every night while I sleep.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    dinobelair:
    Yep. Holding the cigar so it doesn't point right at the tongue when I draw helps me too. I point it up a bit so the smoke is directed at the roof of my mouth instead of blasting my tongue with it.

I also don't really smoke enough to have the problem any more though. That helps more than anything.
  • Options
    SchroozSchrooz Posts: 165
    Have you tried your wife's... ahem ...know what i am getting at, huh? Anyway, I'll let your imagination do the filling in as it's such a kindly forum here. Personally , I think a set of vigorous cardio-vascular exercise and a good hearty dinner will reset your palate faster than anything.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I tend to smoke medium to full bodied sticks, so I can tell when I need to let my palette rest, seems the cigars will just start to get bland after awhile.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    millennium115millennium115 Posts: 839
    +1