Home Cigar 101
Options

Gurkha Spec Ops

alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
Anyone tried one of these yet? I really want that set, but Gurkha is so hit and miss for me I hate to chance the buy and hate the sticks.

Comments

• Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    alienmisprint:
    Anyone tried one of these yet? I really want that set, but Gurkha is so hit and miss for me I hate to chance the buy and hate the sticks.
    Pheebs is a bit of a Gurkha guru, if anyone has tried them he probably has.
  • Options
    lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    The 2 singles I tried made me not want a box. But if you get a box you get a cool knife. :/
  • Options
    double post
  • Options
    lcpleel:
    The 2 singles I tried made me not want a box. But if you get a box you get a cool knife. :/
    Exactly, cool knife. And coin. And a damn Pelican case travel humidor. I doubt it is actually pelican, but a pelican case that size, along with that knife (assuming it is a good quality knife) would cost at least $150. I wonder if anyone would be interested in an unsual box split.....they get the cigars, I get the box and swag, lol.
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got the case, knife, sheath, coin, and cigars. I sold off 15 of the cigars and have 5 resting since I got them last year. Haven't had 1 yet but I will here soon and post a review on it. It is on my list for the month.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I honestly couldn't recommend that cigar. It was very unimpressive to me, but as far as that goes quite representative of Gurkha as a whole...that is to say, fancy packaging with not much substance; "a $5 cigar in a $50 box" as the guy who runs the B&M I go to refers to them.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    I honestly couldn't recommend that cigar. It was very unimpressive to me, but as far as that goes quite representative of Gurkha as a whole...that is to say, fancy packaging with not much substance; "a $5 cigar in a $50 box" as the guy who runs the B&M I go to refers to them.
    Agreed for about 90% of the Gurkhas. I really just want the swag, if the cigars were at least smokeable ( so I wouldn't feel bad about unloading them on someone else) and I thought I'd be able to trade them for something else, I'd probably still get a set. Sucks that they are crappy sticks though.

And Jake - is the knife good quality? Do you have the Tiger stripe/serrated one or the flat black/smooth edged one? What about the case, I know it probably isn't an actual Pelican, but does it look like it is roughly the same quality as a Pelican case?
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    alienmisprint:
    j0z3r:
    Agreed for about 90% of the Gurkhas. I really just want the swag, if the cigars were at least smokeable ( so I wouldn't feel bad about unloading them on someone else) and I thought I'd be able to trade them for something else, I'd probably still get a set. Sucks that they are crappy sticks though.

And Jake - is the knife good quality? Do you have the Tiger stripe/serrated one or the flat black/smooth edged one? What about the case, I know it probably isn't an actual Pelican, but does it look like it is roughly the same quality as a Pelican case?
    I got the tiger stripe and I think it is a great knife. It is crazy sharp and the construction looks great to me. I am not an expert but I like it.

The case is top notch. All the markings say Gurkha and K. Hansotia & Co. on it. It is just like a military Pelican case though. It has the air lock and good foam.
  • Options
    DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    Bip has this same package. The case is missing only one thing and that is the guarantee. I've seen his knife and it looks well constructed. He liked the smokes from what I recall. Maybe he'd be up for a split.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info Jake. I wouldn't plan on using the knife much, but even as a showpiece, I want it to be a good blade.
    DSWarmack:
    Bip has this same package. The case is missing only one thing and that is the guarantee. I've seen his knife and it looks well constructed. He liked the smokes from what I recall. Maybe he'd be up for a split.
    That would be awesome, he is on the forums now, right? I'll have to hit him up and see.
  • Options
    415415 Posts: 951
    jsnake:
    alienmisprint:
    j0z3r:

I got the tiger stripe and I think it is a great knife. It is crazy sharp and the construction looks great to me. I am not an expert but I like it.

The case is top notch. All the markings say Gurkha and K. Hansotia & Co. on it. It is just like a military Pelican case though. It has the air lock and good foam.
    got the same knife. its a nice knife and a great case
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I've tried a few of the newer gurkha's and I haven't been impressed. I moved on from them for the most part. I do like a few blends, though I have stocked up on them pretty heavily over the years.