Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Tatuaje Anarchy

alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
I rarely do reviews (because I suck at them, lol), but this cigar was so good I feel like I have to tell somebody about it.

I broke off the pig-tail and drew on it before clipping, and it actually did have a decent amount of airflow. Looking at the end, however, it was a pretty small opening, so I decided to clip it to prevent possible tar build-up. Initial light-up produced a blast of peppery spice and a ton of smoke. I got a quality I wouldn't exactly call harshness, but it is (IMO) a sure sign of the aging potentianal these have. I agree with Jozer 100% about that. After the first few puffs, the spiciness dropped down a good bit, but stayed just present enough to give it a little kick on the palate. I really couldn't pull out any individual flavors for the first half inch or so, just an overall awesomeness.

Towards the end of the first inch, I am already feeling it in my stomach. I ate McDonald's earlier, just a Bacon/BBQ Angus meal, but I didn't think it would be an issue because I was under the impression that this is a medium body cigar. Maybe it is, but the gut feeling I was getting made me slow down more than I normally do. I also really need to comment on the draw and smoke production at this point. The draw, from the beginning, has been precisely what I want the draw on a cigar to be: very easy but with just enough resistance so that you don't feel like you are sucking on a straw and producing volumes, of thick, white, almost palpable smoke. I seriously had to wave my hands in front of my face to clear the smoke away so I could get some clean breaths in.
A little less than halfway in (about 45 minutes or so), the flavors have settled down a bit and the dominant flavor seems to be an anise with just a bit of something else, an earthy, woodsy flavor that isn't exactly earth or wood. The pepper is still underlying, but it is just barely noticeable. I am also picking up just a bit of citrus and maybe almond or amaretto on the long finish. Very nice. The smoke continues to be exceptionally smooth as it has been since about a half inch in, and the draw and smoke production is still excellent. I still have a rumble in my gut, and I find that I am letting the cigar sit longer and longer between draws.

As the last third begins (well over an hour by now), the cigar is still performing excellent. It has maintained an almost razor-sharp burn the entire time, requiring no touch-ups whatsoever. I'm still getting that anise flavor, and now I'm almost certain that mystery flavor on the finish is almond. It seems to have moved a little forward while the citrus receded. If I hadn't noticed it earlier, I may not have noticed it at this point, but it was still there on the finish. There are some other competing flavors going on, but the one that still dominates, although barely, is the anise flavor. Normally I wouldn't want that as the main flavor, but the rest of the smoke balances it out so well that is actually very nice.

Less than an inch left and it is still burning and performing perfect. The cigar is cool when I pick it up due to the long stays in the ashtray between puffs, but the draws are starting to get increasingly warmer. The flavors do start to deteriorate somewhat as it nears the very end (less than half an inch), but I 'm sure that is due to the heat. My fingers are getting burned every time I draw, to the point that I start using my cutter to hold it. As the cigar came to an end, the heat over-powered it and it started getting a little soft. I put it down with less than half an inch remaining, and really didn't want to. I probably held on a little too long, but it was so damn good.

My overall impression of this cigar is fantastic. From a construction standpoint, the cigar's draw was perfect, the burn was perfect, and the smoke was voluminous and plentiful (in short, perfect). As far as flavor, although I have picked up some of the same flavors in other cigars, I have never had a stick that was like this one. I wouldn't even compare it to any of the other Tatuaje lines, but I am certainly going to get another box just to throw in the bottom of my humidor and forget about. As I said above, I am in 100% agreement with Joe that these have an excellent aging potential.

Comments

• Options
    GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    That was a great review. Let me know if you want to do a split.

Are there any other sticks that you know of with a anise flavor?
  • Options
    There are a couple, but I can't recall now. I know I have noticed it before in some sticks though.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Goldy:
    I've picked up a very noticeable, you may even call it overbearing, anise flavor in the Avo 80th, and a more palatable amount on the Avo Signature and Avo 85th. It's a nice flavor I think, but in small portions with a good supporting cast to balance it out.

I knew you'd enjoy the Anarchy based on what I already know you like Tony, glad to hear you really enjoyed it. I absolutely agree with that assessment that it's really unlike anything else Tatuaje, whereas a lot of them have similar components, Anarchy stands firmly on its own.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I'd agree with ya on this. The first part of the cigar is a pepper bomb. But overall I really enjoyed it.
  • Options
    t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    Thanks Alien...I do believe you just cost me $150...lol
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Great review. Now I have two things to do: 1) Pick up some anise and have a taste 2) Pick up some Anarchys
  • Options
    dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    Bought a 5ver of these a while back and have been letting them rest. First one was this weekend and not really impressed. Looked and smelled great but draw was loose and burn was awful (total flowering from the get go). Flavors just kind of meh. So not a good start. 2nd from the batch was last night and totally different. Great flavor and no burn issues or flowering at all. So I am hoping that 1st one was just a dud. Three more to go...
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Goldy:
    I've picked up a very noticeable, you may even call it overbearing, anise flavor in the Avo 80th, and a more palatable amount on the Avo Signature and Avo 85th. It's a nice flavor I think, but in small portions with a good supporting cast to balance it out.
    Hmm. I just had a Signature yesterday, and there was something odd in it that I couldn't identify. Wonder if that's what it was. I'm sure there was lots of other stuff I missed. I have another one I'll have to try in a few days. My palate is still recovering from Saturday!
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice review buddy. I think mine will arrive tomorrow. Anxious to try one now and see if I pick up the same things.
  • Options
    Yep, I sent yours out same time as Dwayne's, and he got his in today. He is in LA here though, but you should be seeing yours tomorrow.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I've got a couple of these in the humidor. I can't wait to try one. I do wonder how these compare to the Barclays Rex. I've got one of those hiding in the humi too.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    PuroFreak:
    I've got a couple of these in the humidor. I can't wait to try one. I do wonder how these compare to the Barclays Rex. I've got one of those hiding in the humi too.
    Jason, don't do that to yourself. They're both excellent cigars, leave it at that. By comparing them, you'll just end up hating them both for being so awesome.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    PuroFreak:
    Jason, don't do that to yourself. They're both excellent cigars, leave it at that. By comparing them, you'll just end up hating them both for being so awesome.
    lol No, I was just wondering if they were similar in flavor profile or if they were like night and day.
  • Options
    EDIT - disregard
  • Options
    It was a one time release for the 100th anniversary of a b&m. I worked a trade for a couple. Gave one to a buddy of mine and still have the other. I've heard its damn good.
  • Options
    Damn, you haven't even tried one, and you only have one? I hate being in predicaments like that.
  • Options
    Yea, but I'm glad I at least have one to try. Like I said, I had two, but gave one to my local smoking buddy. We always try to hook each other up when we get something rare. He is the one who gave me my Anarchys.
  • Options
    PuroFreak:
    j0z3r:
    PuroFreak:
    lol No, I was just wondering if they were similar in flavor profile or if they were like night and day.
    To me they are both different, way different cigars. I enjoyed the rex more, like I said in my review or mini review I did of it, it was the strongest cigar I had ever had but it also had a good deal of flavor. I wish I picked up a box or two of them when they were released. I have been able to score a few from trades but not enough sadly to smoke them often.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    PuroFreak:
    j0z3r:
    PuroFreak:
    To me they are both different, way different cigars. I enjoyed the rex more, like I said in my review or mini review I did of it, it was the strongest cigar I had ever had but it also had a good deal of flavor. I wish I picked up a box or two of them when they were released. I have been able to score a few from trades but not enough sadly to smoke them often.
    Awesome man. I'm excited about both of them, just hate to burn the Rex because it does seem to be a more rare smoke.
  • Options
    PuroFreak:
    phobicsquirrel:
    PuroFreak:
    j0z3r:
    PuroFreak:
    Awesome man. I'm excited about both of them, just hate to burn the Rex because it does seem to be a more rare smoke.
    lol... for the sake of our sanity I hope you don't like it. That way it's no big deal if you can't find any more. In a lot of ways I wish I didn't like it.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    PuroFreak:
    phobicsquirrel:
    PuroFreak:
    j0z3r:
    PuroFreak:
    lol... for the sake of our sanity I hope you don't like it. That way it's no big deal if you can't find any more. In a lot of ways I wish I didn't like it.
    I know what you mean, Tony got me hooked on the damn Arc Bradley Pryme and they haven't made those for several years now! I lucked out and found a box with 8 left in it last year at my b&m and split them with a buddy of mine. I have 2 left and just can't bring myself to smoke them. I even talked with the VP of Alec Bradley and he said he hasn't even seen any in 3 years or so.
  • Options
    Well Alien I told u you'ld cost me. Ordered my box today.
  • Options
    Lol, right on. I cost myself too, I'm gonna have to grab another box or two before they are gone.
  • Options
    How long would u recommend letting these babies rest before trying?
  • Options
    I was able to last 4 days before I broke into mine.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    t_evan50:
    Letting cigars "rest" in my experience only has an effect on how they will perform due to humidity and temperature issues they may have been exposed to during shipping, and everyone seems to have a different answer to the question of how long cigars should be stored in a stable humidor after travel, before smoking. I have smoked stuff right out of the mail box, and let stuff sit for a week before, and I think it depends on how long the transit time was. If it was a day or two, I wouldn't worry at all. If it was a week, I would let them have a few days in a properly active humidor.

As for age on the Anarchy, I am pretty sure these were a one time run, so whatever stock is left for sale, has been "aging" since they were released, so they already have a few months of age on them (though the question of when a cigar begins to truly "age" is a totally different, much more complicated issue, that I actually think Kuzi has written a good bit on). I've smoked a few Anarchy sticks, and I think they are smoking great now, but that they also have the potential to start evolving, blending, mellowing (in a good way) in a year or two's time. I don't think they are going to be much different in 3 months. I think they will be different in a year. And beyond that as well. If you only get one, smoke it now. If you get 5, smoke two now. If you get a box, smoke 5 now.

All of that babbling said, there's no right answer, since everyone has their own palate and preferences within that arena.
  • Options
    Or, smoke a box now, get two to hide in your humidor.
  • Options
    docbp87:
    t_evan50:
    Letting cigars "rest" in my experience only has an effect on how they will perform due to humidity and temperature issues they may have been exposed to during shipping, and everyone seems to have a different answer to the question of how long cigars should be stored in a stable humidor after travel, before smoking. I have smoked stuff right out of the mail box, and let stuff sit for a week before, and I think it depends on how long the transit time was. If it was a day or two, I wouldn't worry at all. If it was a week, I would let them have a few days in a properly active humidor.

As for age on the Anarchy, I am pretty sure these were a one time run, so whatever stock is left for sale, has been "aging" since they were released, so they already have a few months of age on them (though the question of when a cigar begins to truly "age" is a totally different, much more complicated issue, that I actually think Kuzi has written a good bit on). I've smoked a few Anarchy sticks, and I think they are smoking great now, but that they also have the potential to start evolving, blending, mellowing (in a good way) in a year or two's time. I don't think they are going to be much different in 3 months. I think they will be different in a year. And beyond that as well. If you only get one, smoke it now. If you get 5, smoke two now. If you get a box, smoke 5 now.

All of that babbling said, there's no right answer, since everyone has their own palate and preferences within that arena.
    I would like to have these 2 or 3 years from now. I Have a stash put away for just that. Truth is, I have so many cigars 2 years is easy, as I don't smoke everyday and I have more sticks that I have aging than cigars that are smokable. If that makes sense. I tend to buy and leave, not sure why maybe it's because I'm cheap and don't want to buy boxes of expensive smokes....
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    phobicsquirrel:
    I would like to have these 2 or 3 years from now. I Have a stash put away for just that. Truth is, I have so many cigars 2 years is easy, as I don't smoke everyday and I have more sticks that I have aging than cigars that are smokable. If that makes sense. I tend to buy and leave, not sure why maybe it's because I'm cheap and don't want to buy boxes of expensive smokes....
    I think it's a squirrel thing... hording nuts... hording cigars.
  • Options
    Damn doc, that's a lot of info. LoL. Think i'll go with having a few now and saving rest for a couple years. Pheebs style.