Home Cigar 101
Options

Opus X Wrapper

DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
I got a 6 pack of Opus X Robusto in today and the wrapper is not like any Opus I've seen before, Opus on right is the typical wrapper color I've seen, the one on left is much darker and makes me ask maduro? Anyways never seen an Opus wrapper so dark, maybe extremely fresh? There is no question on the authenticity...

Comments

• Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Kinda has a sungrown appearance. If they were doing something different I'd think they would say it, unless it was just a different set of weather conditions the same seed as always grew under.
  • Options
    zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    Na not maduro. I actually have two Opus X maduros and they are really dark. There are a few in my collection that I asked the same question to myself, I was like ..hmmm...different wrapper..

Maybe Alex or someone familiar can give us the answer.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Definitely not something that slipped through quality control. And I would have to believe that if it came from AF that there's a picture and description somewhere. I have 2 in my box. They look like the one on the right.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Strange.. All the Opus I have, or remember having seemed to be closer in color to the darker of the two.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I have Opus sticks from probably 5 different years, or crops, and basically no two ages have the same color wrapper. Some are almost a Connecticut shade color, and others are a dark reddish hue. It just varies. There are two different maduro wrappers that have been used on Opus. The ones in the CFC boxes or on sticks like the BBMF aren't actually maduro Opus wrappers, but the a Connecticut Broad Leaf, like the Hemingway maduros. The true Opus Maduros use the regular Opus Rosado wrapper leaf, that has been through the maduro process. These are a true prize to find. I'm pretty positive that you just have two good examples of how extreme the color difference can be with different crops.
  • Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    I emailed the retailer see what they have to say
  • Options
    lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭

Left to Right: Maduro Robusto, Old Robusto (OG 95), Robusto from 08, and Opus X Series X Robusto. The colors are all different.
  • Options
    RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    You guys inspire me. I can't wait to have some cigars that have aged and the variety that you hold. We are actually talking about the different wrappers of the Opus X through out the years. I have no clue, but they all look great and I hope Mr. DD cigars are just another change.
  • Options
    Rick, your lancero is from 09 made with 5 year old tobacco. The Casa Fuente from 07, sungrown Hemingway from 2006 and the sungrown 8-5-8 from 2010.
  • Options
    RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    lcpleel:
    Rick, your lancero is from 09 made with 5 year old tobacco. The Casa Fuente from 07, sungrown Hemingway from 2006 and the sungrown 8-5-8 from 2010.

Yes Sir, yet I can't bring myself to think about smoking them. But, I will. I was just making the comment because of how many different wraps there are and the variety of Opus X you guys have that are aged.
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    As Doc and some others already pointed out, the wrapper, because it comes from one farm and is a natural product (and that's a good thing - no dyes on a super premium stick), varies in color from year to year or crop to crop. Some years are better than others. Actually the one on the left is what you should expect to see from a rosado wrapper. Not the sickly pale almost connecticut shade on the right.

I have some from 08 (I'm pretty sure it's 08 or could be 07) that have that nice reddish brown hue and the flavors are much deeper and more pronounced. I found the lighter shade wrappers aren't as good in quality. Kinda like a wine, some vintages are better than others. I'll actually avoid opuses on years that I see that pale colored wrapper. Smoke one of each, see what you think.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Rob1110:
    As Doc and some others already pointed out, the wrapper, because it comes from one farm and is a natural product (and that's a good thing - no dyes on a super premium stick), varies in color from year to year or crop to crop. Some years are better than others. Actually the one on the left is what you should expect to see from a rosado wrapper. Not the sickly pale almost connecticut shade on the right.

I have some from 08 (I'm pretty sure it's 08 or could be 07) that have that nice reddish brown hue and the flavors are much deeper and more pronounced. I found the lighter shade wrappers aren't as good in quality. Kinda like a wine, some vintages are better than others. I'll actually avoid opuses on years that I see that pale colored wrapper. Smoke one of each, see what you think.
    the 06 was even darker. ill see if i still have one and ill post a pic. and along the same lines, it was also the best year OpusX i have had.
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    the 06 was even darker. ill see if i still have one and ill post a pic. and along the same lines, it was also the best year OpusX i have had.

Unfortunately, I missed that one. I think the oldest I have is an 07 but 08 was a good year for opus. 09...not so much. The few 10s I saw looked pretty good but I think I only picked up one or two.
  • Options
    boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    lcpleel:

Left to Right: Maduro Robusto, Old Robusto (OG 95), Robusto from 08, and Opus X Series X Robusto. The colors are all different.
    HA, fantastic picture man. wow, look at that ploom on the old one . . .
  • Options
    When I grab an Opus I tend to grab the darkest one I could find. Most of the Petite Lancero's that I smoked or have in the humi have been really light in color but an amazing smoke. I personally think that the 2006 bunch was the best. 2010 was also great ROTT
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    I've wondered this about a few cigars in the past. I have 2 Gurkha Beauty's. One of them I got in a sampler that had it and Beast in it. They look almost exactly the same. Got another with COTMC and it's a light shade wrapper just like it's supposed to. Very interested to see how these smoke against each other
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    ENFIDL:
    I've wondered this about a few cigars in the past. I have 2 Gurkha Beauty's. One of them I got in a sampler that had it and Beast in it. They look almost exactly the same. Got another with COTMC and it's a light shade wrapper just like it's supposed to. Very interested to see how these smoke against each other
    Was it a smaller Beauty size? If so, it's not the same Beauty as the 6.5 X 56. The regular line Beauty is a very light connie wrapper. This other one is different. I have had it and it is nothing like the regular Beauty.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    rwheelwright:
    ENFIDL:
    Was it a smaller Beauty size? If so, it's not the same Beauty as the 6.5 X 56. The regular line Beauty is a very light connie wrapper. This other one is different. I have had it and it is nothing like the regular Beauty.
    I for some reason didn't think the smaller one was all that great. I love me some big beauty though.