Home Trades, Passes and Bombs
Options

To anyone unfamiliar with international shipping

wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
Hey guys. Just a friendly reminder to anyone shipping cigars into Canada that's not familiar with customs duties. Please do not declare the package as anything tobacco related. I received a bomb this morning and though I appreciate the gesture, I had to send it back since I would have to pay 75 dollars in customs duties and taxes (that and I'm broke now).

Please label the package as something innocent like candles, figurines, collectible bands, etc. That way, customs won't mess with the package and anyone in Canada or any other country won't be slapped with the choice of paying an exorbitant fee or refusing the package.

Thanks for your time and I hope this helps with future international shipping/bombs.

Comments

• Options
    skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Great info to know. I knew you had to pay the duties on it but I never would've guessed it would be that high. I just put 'hobby supplies' when I send stuff out of the states.
  • Options
    millennium115millennium115 Posts: 839
    + 1 .....i just sent a mooch package cross seas, the fellow botl mentioned to write hobbies supplies.,....never tobacco.... and when i filled out the paperwork, they ask approx us value in dollars.....i put down like 30.00...even though the value of the cigars where over 60.00 ( shhhh....) but u dont want any red flags........
  • Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lessons learned,lol,, ill send you some nice hobby supplies,later , lol
  • Options
    millennium115:
    + 1 .....i just sent a mooch package cross seas, the fellow botl mentioned to write hobbies supplies.,....never tobacco.... and when i filled out the paperwork, they ask approx us value in dollars.....i put down like 30.00...even though the value of the cigars where over 60.00 ( shhhh....) but u dont want any red flags........
    are they going to have to pay the 30.00 to get the package?
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, Doug (laker) schooled me on this a while back...always put 'em down as "collectible bands" and "hobby supplies" with a value of less than $20.
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    jj20030:
    millennium115:
    Nope. Gifts and such like hobby supplies, figurines, candles, and such are free to accept. As for as I know, tobacco and alcohol are heavily taxed.
  • Options
    +1....
  • Options
    MTuccelliMTuccelli Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭
    Things must of changed since the last time I shipped to Canada. use to be as long as it was marked gift with a value no greater then $9.00 USD then the recipient paid nothing to get it. So to ship to Canada it needs to say gift and what is inside like hobby supplies or collectable bands and then what for a max value should be put down as to not raise any suspicion?
  • Options
    RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    MTuccelli:
    Things must of changed since the last time I shipped to Canada. use to be as long as it was marked gift with a value no greater then $9.00 USD then the recipient paid nothing to get it. So to ship to Canada it needs to say gift and what is inside like hobby supplies or collectable bands and then what for a max value should be put down as to not raise any suspicion?

+ 1 thats what it was last month , and i have a buddy in the PO that helps me if there is an Issue
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    wwhwang:
    jj20030:
    millennium115:
    Nope. Gifts and such like hobby supplies, figurines, candles, and such are free to accept. As for as I know, tobacco and alcohol are heavily taxed.
    Not quite right Wayne. Even gifts will bve subjected to taxes if the value is over $60. When free trade was adopted by both countries what used to be duties are now taxes. ANYTHING over a value of $60 is subject to these taxes. EVERYTHING can be subject to them but for reasons of volume and shipping times they generally only look at packages with a value over $60. Not worth the time to go after cheaper packages as the tax assessed to them would be so small. BUT YOU NEVER WANT TO DECLARE THEM AS CIGARS!!!
  • Options
    so can people in canada order thru say ccom and have a box delivered or do they have to go thru a tobacco shop in canada? how do they get a order of a box of cigars in ?
  • Options
    laker1963:
    wwhwang:
    jj20030:
    millennium115:
    Not quite right Wayne. Even gifts will bve subjected to taxes if the value is over $60. When free trade was adopted by both countries what used to be duties are now taxes. ANYTHING over a value of $60 is subject to these taxes. EVERYTHING can be subject to them but for reasons of volume and shipping times they generally only look at packages with a value over $60. Not worth the time to go after cheaper packages as the tax assessed to them would be so small. BUT YOU NEVER WANT TO DECLARE THEM AS CIGARS!!!
    So it doesn't need to say gift as long as it doesn't say cigars or show a value of $60.00 or higher.
  • Options
    Redtailhawkoz:
    MTuccelli:

+ 1 thats what it was last month , and i have a buddy in the PO that helps me if there is an Issue
    What packaging do you use? Do you use a regular brown type box or the priority flat rate boxes? The last time I shipped to Canada was 2003. I use to ship a lot of cutlery up there on a daily basis, along with other stuff. Then they got crazy with shipments like a lot of other International locations.
  • Options
    jj20030:
    so can people in canada order thru say ccom and have a box delivered or do they have to go thru a tobacco shop in canada? how do they get a order of a box of cigars in ?
    No, unfortunately C.Com stopped shipping to Canada e few months ago. Now we have to have C.Com send to someone in the US and then arrange to have that person forward ship to our Canadian address. HUGE hassel. My cigar inventory has gone down drastically. You don't want to send too big of an order or it looks suspicious and / or it gets grabbed at the border like one of my almost $300 orders did, that sucks and it hurts too. My inventory is being wiped out due to this situation.
  • Options
    MTuccelli:
    laker1963:
    wwhwang:
    jj20030:
    millennium115:
    So it doesn't need to say gift as long as it doesn't say cigars or show a value of $60.00 or higher.
    NO IT SHOULD BE DECLARED AS A GIFT ON NO MORE THEN $60. You don't want to list it as cigars because of our tobacco tax laws. So A GIFT for under $60
  • Options
    i used a flat rate box, wrote hobby supplies, valued at 30.00 and paid the same amount for international as i pay for domestic....this was going to a soldier somewhere overseas.......i was alittle nervous cause this was my first time. but its all good.......low value and no cigars......we all will be fine.....!!!
  • Options
    laker1963:
    jj20030:
    No, unfortunately C.Com stopped shipping to Canada e few months ago. Now we have to have C.Com send to someone in the US and then arrange to have that person forward ship to our Canadian address. HUGE hassel. My cigar inventory has gone down drastically. You don't want to send too big of an order or it looks suspicious and / or it gets grabbed at the border like one of my almost $300 orders did, that sucks and it hurts too. My inventory is being wiped out due to this situation.
    Man that sucks, so how big of an order arrives safely to you when you have it forward shipped. Would a 2 pound box cause suspicion at customs? How heavy could we go with it marked hobby supplies or candles per say?
  • Options
    laker1963:
    NO IT SHOULD BE DECLARED AS A GIFT ON NO MORE THEN $60. You don't want to list it as cigars because of our tobacco tax laws. So A GIFT for under $60
    Got it...mark it gift and anything but tobacco and under $60.00 value. I might just start getting back into shipping to Canada.
  • Options
    One more question, to ship to Canada do we use the Customs Form 2976 which is the green and white one or did the USPS change that too?
  • Options
    skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I always wanted to write "Family photos" on the form. It wouldn't totally be a lie, ya know...Uncle Opus, Auntie Ruination, Cousin Padron....
  • Options
    MTuccelli:
    One more question, to ship to Canada do we use the Customs Form 2976 which is the green and white one or did the USPS change that too?
    Still the green and white one, as long as the value is under a certain $ amount; $150 I want to say, not 100%, but either way for $30 or less, yes you still use the little green and white form.
  • Options
    DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    millennium115:
    i used a flat rate box, wrote hobby supplies, valued at 30.00 and paid the same amount for international as i pay for domestic....this was going to a soldier somewhere overseas.......i was alittle nervous cause this was my first time. but its all good.......low value and no cigars......we all will be fine.....!!!

Where I am its not always the customs that get you. It is the guys in mail rooms and shipping. I should get your package fine, but if you're not insuring it I suggest saying like 5 bucks. The only thing that is that light, takes up that amount of space and cost $5 is a bag of socks. Nobody wants to steal socks.
  • Options
    MTuccelli:
    laker1963:
    jj20030:
    Man that sucks, so how big of an order arrives safely to you when you have it forward shipped. Would a 2 pound box cause suspicion at customs? How heavy could we go with it marked hobby supplies or candles per say?
    Two pounds would be fine. I was trying to get a larger order due to the shipping situation but it back fired and I lost the order. I think it may have to due with size and weight so just try to keep both down to a minimum.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up.. You almost feel like you should declare them or insure them in the event they get lost.
  • Options
    Def a good point!!! thanks bro....those bastards better not fck with my box....or u might have a real pissed off greek from brooklyn, ny come and really turn *** upside down...lol
  • Options
    millennium115:
    Def a good point!!! thanks bro....those bastards better not fck with my box....or u might have a real pissed off greek from brooklyn, ny come and really turn *** upside down...lol
    This made me think of "Baseball Bat Boogie" by Dem Brooklyn Bums....lol, I love that song.
  • Options
    MTuccelli:
    Redtailhawkoz:
    MTuccelli:

What packaging do you use? Do you use a regular brown type box or the priority flat rate boxes? The last time I shipped to Canada was 2003. I use to ship a lot of cutlery up there on a daily basis, along with other stuff. Then they got crazy with shipments like a lot of other International locations.

I wrap All by Boxes In Brown Paper unless i use a Plain Brown Box.... I have never had an issue, I usulayy just mark it a Book or Like has been said Family Photos.
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Great thread, good advice. Possibly going to be mailing something to Canada next week, let you know how it goes.
  • Options
    Some use aluminun foil; they fold money in it, ( like when someone wants to send you liek 20.00) and also cigar bands.......u can pick up cigars from canada, and when u ship them, take off bands , and send them in separate envelope and fold them in aluminum foil , and mail it to your house.....when envelopes and packages get scanned, they cant see what is in the aluminum foil , u think they would, but they dont.... its actually pretty cool, next time u travel , put a 20.00 in aluminum foil and leave it in your carry on..and see if security stops you.........
  • Options
    millennium115:
    Some use aluminun foil; they fold money in it, ( like when someone wants to send you liek 20.00) and also cigar bands.......u can pick up cigars from canada, and when u ship them, take off bands , and send them in separate envelope and fold them in aluminum foil , and mail it to your house.....when envelopes and packages get scanned, they cant see what is in the aluminum foil , u think they would, but they dont.... its actually pretty cool, next time u travel , put a 20.00 in aluminum foil and leave it in your carry on..and see if security stops you.........

Ehhh No thanks I ALWAYS get stopped anyway, either they think Im a Criminal, or I am A Rock STar they AWLAYS doubel and triple check me ! I HATE TSA!