Home Cigar 101

New humidor

Hi, i just bought a humidor from this site the Cigar.com Deluxe Humidor i was wondering how to get it ready for cigars. Do i have to do anything to the humidifier that came with it, and do i have to do anything to the box to prepare it for cigars, sorry i am new to this any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Comments

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    get some beads and a digital hygrometer. There are 3 or so new threads on setting up a humi. Kuzi went into a detail description on the newest one.
  • LMCLMC Posts: 4
    how do i activate the round humidifier?
    activate? you mean turn it on or calibrate it?
    It's just a plain round humidifier i didn't know if it's ready to go or if i have to soak it in water.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    LMC:
    It's just a plain round humidifier i didn't know if it's ready to go or if i have to soak it in water.
    The disc needs to have water added to it. Add distilled water to the device in order to make it functional. Avoid adding regular tap water to the disc since it has minerals that you may not want to be introduced to your cigars. You will see the disc really soaks up the water quickly, make sure it doesn't drip before putting it in your humidor since you don't want water damaged cigars either. If you mount it to the top of your humidor, turn it upside down and check that it wont leak down on those cigars.
    I'd really watch that guy, my last go around with these guy's I got mold.
    thanks ya'll how long do i go between re soaking and how long can i reuse the thing for.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    I'd really watch that guy, my last go around with these guy's I got mold.
    I agree with the squirrel on this one. I would avoid the green foam pucks.. But something is better than nothing for a short time..

The favored method seems to be humidification beads .Check out Heartfelt Industries online for some helpfull information.
    Some people don't have any problems with the green foam but just watch it, cause mold will come and will cause some damage.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I have not tried Heartland beads yet. I'm having great results with Madelaine crystals. I fill them up with 50/50 about every 2 months, constant and steady 68. I now believe where you live and where you place you humi has a huge influence on your humidity. Here in California i maintain constant even 68 but when i took my humi to Fallon Nevada, it was all over the place and for a little bit i couldnt get it above 61. I called it quits down there and wrapped it in a trash bag with some distilled soaked paper towels, that did the trick wonderfully.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    You can also check out this site, it has great info on setting up a new humi http://www.humidor-guide.com/

"Long ashes my friends."