Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Any Traders out there?

GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
I have asked before but since the forum keeps growing I'll ask again. Any of you guys play in the stock market? I focus mostly on commdities and mining stocks but since that bubble is looking less and less stable I'm looking for new ideas.

Comments

• Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    I have a personal brokerage account, but I am not a day trader, nor do I play the market. My investments are for the long-term.

Good idea to get out of commodities while you can, I'm a bit bearish on gold based on how much it's risen over the past few years.
  • Options
    I really dislike gold. For me its all about base metals.
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Goldy:
    Goldy dislikes gold?

What's the world coming to????
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Goldy:
    the time to get into gold was 4 years ago.

try real estate.
    we may be at the bottom of the housing market... but that means that the only way to go is up. plus with inflation on its way (or already here depending on what way you measure it) the time is now to go into debt for it.... that is if your income can outpace inflation.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    Goldy:

try real estate.
    we may be at the bottom of the housing market... but that means that the only way to go is up. plus with inflation on its way (or already here depending on what way you measure it) the time is now to go into debt for it.... that is if your income can outpace inflation.
    Interesting idea. Are you suggesting buying a house or buying funds in a real estate fund?
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Property of any kind. Land, house, condo. We are at a low. Interest rates at a low. And the government will soon make it much harder to own personal property. Getting rid of the homestead exemption is the first step.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Goldy:
    kuzi16:
    Goldy:

try real estate.
    Interesting idea. Are you suggesting buying a house or buying funds in a real estate fund?
    i am a fan of durable goods.
    if you can own actual land and hold it you may be in good shape. however, you may have to hold it for the long haul.
    also keep in mind that i am no financial adviser. Im a guy that deals in food.

speaking of that, im off to work to deal with dinner.
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Goldy:
    kuzi16:
    Goldy:

try real estate.
    if you can own actual land and hold it you may be in good shape. however, you may have to hold it for the long haul.

Keep in mind that owning real property comes with numerous expenses. A good compromise would be shares in REITS. You get to (indirectly) own real estate while letting others deal with landlord issues.
  • Options
    sightunseen:
    kuzi16:
    Goldy:
    kuzi16:
    Goldy:

try real estate.

Keep in mind that owning real property comes with numerous expenses. A good compromise would be shares in REITS. You get to (indirectly) own real estate while letting others deal with landlord issues.
    Having just bought my first house I have really had my eyes (and wallet) open to that one.
  • Options
    wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    I would think getting out of metals may not be a bad idea, with both sides talking about reigning in the spending it's likely to fall. As far as other investments I've kind of subscribed to the double dip theory.
  • Options
    wwestern:
    I would think getting out of metals may not be a bad idea, with both sides talking about reigning in the spending it's likely to fall. As far as other investments I've kind of subscribed to the double dip theory.
    Exactly, plus my wife and I both work for a large mining company so its time to diversify. It was a nice ride though.
  • Options
    SchroozSchrooz Posts: 165
    I am fresh amateur trader but hope to make some extra cash doing it. I had barely enough last year to do roundtrips but lost most of it when I loaded up on a one sided long position on a blue chip tech stock options. I am an idiot. I should have stuck with daytrades instead of dabbling in options! I am hoping to make a come back in a year or two. I really beleive I can thrive on daytrading, if only I can accumulate a good base to do it without all the psychological paranoia ( at least for me) that goes along with it. I just have to learn to sidestep the high frequency traders who frontrun , subpenny , and paint the ticker tape to death. I read somewhere that most of the high frequency trading firms are closing shop so I may have a good chance next time around. Not that my tactics were so specialized and complicated that the moves of high frequency traders would matter....it just gets my paranoia and idiocy all riled up. In any case , I have learned a valuable lesson: cut your losses quick---keep your stops tight! How about financial etfs if you're a long term trader? XLF is still less than half of its high acouple of years ago. I should have just parked my account in it last year....
  • Options
    I have two small mining companies that I have done really well daytrading. Their prices are so volitile that one one day they will have a 15% loss even thought metal prices, the market and everything else is doing just fine. The next day it will recover 12%. This happens like clockwork and the only explination I can give is that there are a lot of people that have sell prices set very close to the trading price which causes a false sell off.
  • Options
    SchroozSchrooz Posts: 165
    ^ That's some good action.
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Blue chip stocks that A) are on sale, B) carry little or no long term debt and C) pay a dividend have served me well over the years. You dont necessarily get rich quick, but you do get rich steady and very rarely go backwards.

PM me if you want to know how I define and spot "on sale". Good luck in the market to all.

• Options
    RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    interesting........
  • Options
    PM sent.

Do any of you seek out high dividend stocks?
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    I'm a rank amateur; only really started getting interested in the stock market when it crashed in Dec of 2009, and I was buying up bluechips and bank stocks once I saw what they fell to; those March prices, in the words of Warren Buffet, had me "trembling with greed". Some have paid off nicely, mostly oil stocks like Schlumberger, that were half what they are now. The bank stocks like Citi and BoA, I'm still waiting to come back up, but I'm a long-term trader, so I can wait it out.