Home Non Cigar Related
Options

My other hobby, Casting.

GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
I recently did a pour and took pics so I figured I would post and show everybody the fun things you can do with a propane tank and some metal.

IMG00039-20110303-1836

We had some aluminum v-rails that were damaged at work so I was given them to make ingots. Its a lot easier to store meatloaf sized blocks than it is to store a 10ft peice of aluminum. So far I have melted aluminum, lead, brass and copper but copper is a pain in the ass due to atmospheric oxidation and really high temps.

So, why do this you ask? Thats the question my wife gives me ALL THE TIME. The answer is that I used to run a weekly poker game and I wanted some cool chips so I had a commissioned a mint to fabricate me the first 20 with the idea that i would cast the rest because it was really pricy for the mint to do them.

So, if you ever need anything cast just let me know.

Comments

• Options
    nikostewartnikostewart Posts: 451
    Very cool! Have any pictures of stuff you have cast?
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Oh hell yeah. You guys keep your eyes out for a collabo Goldy/Alien Misprint tattoo machine in the near future......
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    D'oh. I thought you were talking about a different kind of "casting"...... one that involves a couch and some naive ladies. Giggity!

Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    I was thinking of this kind of casting:

• Options
    Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    That is really cool Goldy. Are you using green sand for your molds? I did some really basic casting when I was in high school 12 years ago and really enjoyed it. Shoot if you could get a good solid imprint it would be easy a pie to pour your own custom chips. Very cool hobby.
  • Options
    GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    Lakota72:
    That is really cool Goldy. Are you using green sand for your molds? I did some really basic casting when I was in high school 12 years ago and really enjoyed it. Shoot if you could get a good solid imprint it would be easy a pie to pour your own custom chips. Very cool hobby.
    In theory yes, these however are double sided so I need to have sand on both sides which pretty much means I need to make these one at a time.... I've been trying to more mass produce these but one at a time is the best I can do at the moment.