Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Louisiana flood

roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
Do we know if any of our fellow borks were damaged by the flood waters?

Still sending prayers for those folks.
One God, One Truth

Comments

• Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    My area wasn't affected, it did hit alot of the areas around New Orleans and Baton Rouge though, where Beatnic and Dwayne are...not sure about them. Hopefully everything's okay down there.....
  • Options
    TIGERFANTIGERFAN Posts: 21
    It's not as bad as they were predicting at first. We still have several weeks to go.
  • Options
    TIGERFANTIGERFAN Posts: 21
    Worst thing here in Baton Rouge are the sand boils messing up all the roads. And all the underground wells are being pushed to the tops with the rising water tables, all small problems compared to what can happen like the crazy barge accidents like yesterday with barges hitting our main bridges.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    As bad as all this is, and I feel for people, I do have to point out that if there was no govt or state aide or services it would be massively worse. Imagine if private companies were in control of disaster relief, I mean if you can't pay your screwed. I find it rather convenient for people who hat govt services and vote against them seem to love them when they benefit them.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    TIGERFAN:
    Worst thing here in Baton Rouge are the sand boils messing up all the roads. And all the underground wells are being pushed to the tops with the rising water tables, all small problems compared to what can happen like the crazy barge accidents like yesterday with barges hitting our main bridges.
    Good to hear it didn't effect you too badly. I'm assuming Dwayne's good too then, anyone heard from Beatnic?
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    phobicsquirrel:
    As bad as all this is, and I feel for people, I do have to point out that if there was no govt or state aide or services it would be massively worse. Imagine if private companies were in control of disaster relief, I mean if you can't pay your screwed. I find it rather convenient for people who hat govt services and vote against them seem to love them when they benefit them.
    All's well so far. The music is still playing. The river is lapping at the levee, but the corps has this river fairly well managed. And Phobic, exactly how is it you make every conversation political? I will tell you this sir. I have been flooded twice. Once, when we had a massive rain event and some canals were plugged. I stood in 34 inches of water in my house. I also had ankle deep water during Katrina. I have not received 1 red cent from the government. I purchased private flood insurance because I was well aware of the dangers living here. Between them and my sweat I recovered and rebuilt, better. Yes, I know it is federal money behind the flood insurance, but it is federal money that I put into the system.
    As to those who received direct government help, I would ask them for the reasons they chose not to purchase insurance. I am fully aware of the need for a "FEMA". But as to your statement about private companies not being valuable in relief, where do I start? We've been through a few events down here and whenever it happens you don't see anyone from the government show up. Do you remember the little oil spill event we had last year. You watched it on TV. The US Coast Guard was absent. Missing. Oil field vessels and fishermen did all of the rescue and clean up. And all the money? You should check out the new Coast Guard fleet. Shinny boats and not a speck of oil. What a joke. Finally, All those people that are packing up because the river is rising? They chose to build inside of the floodway control levees.
  • Options
    No kidding buddy. I agree even govt services suck, but it's only because of who is running it. The BP crime was a huge crap shoot. That was so horrible and the white house allowed them to put even more chemicals in the water. I feel ya and I agree. One thing about insurance though, they weasel out of claims all the time. Either way we are screwed.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    Yes Pheebs... because private corporations are all evil and greedy and do nothing to help people.

http://www.heartland.org/policybot/results/17757/Private_Companies_Rush_in_to_Help_Hurricane_Katrina_Victims.html

And yes, my heart goes out to everyone effected by the floods. I can't imagine living in those areas and being worried that my house will be swept away. I hope all of our BOTL's in the area are safe.
  • Options
    PuroFreak:
    phobicsquirrel:
    Yes Pheebs... because private corporations are all evil and greedy and do nothing to help people.

http://www.heartland.org/policybot/results/17757/Private_Companies_Rush_in_to_Help_Hurricane_Katrina_Victims.html

And yes, my heart goes out to everyone effected by the floods. I can't imagine living in those areas and being worried that my house will be swept away. I hope all of our BOTL's in the area are safe.
    your grandstanding here puro, I don't think all companies are evil, so stop that nonsense.. Okay so look at bayer.. it's a drug company...

http://curezone.com/art/read.asp?ID=110&db=1&C0=13

http://www.corporatewatch.org/?lid=320

http://www.gmwatch.org/gm-firms-mobile/11153-bayer-a-history

---Massey Mines

"Massey exhibited a corporate mentality that placed the drive to produce coal above worker safety" at the company's Upper Big Branch mine, the report concludes. "Many systems created to safeguard miners had to break down in order for an explosion to occur."

http://www.npr.org/2011/05/19/136426906/report-blasts-massey-for-deviance-in-safety-culture

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=125864847

Just some examples of what some private companies are allowed to get away with, and only pay fines which are a drop in the bucket. If any person kills anyone it's jail time, even life in prison. When large companies do it, it may be investigated, and fined but no one really goes to jail. I mean look at BP, they are off the hook for what they did, even with the grab ass they played during the event was shameful. I mean the coast guard working with bp to stop journalists from filming? wtf.

Your right, not all companies are evil but some are man, and when our government which is for the people fails to protect us we are nothing more than throw away garbage. I would think, you being a police officer you would understand that everyday people need protection. I mean say your job was not with the state or local govt but say a private firm. That firm would be in the business to make money, well what money is there to be made to have you look for a kidnapped victim of a poor family, or help someone with their car, or even show up for a domestic dispute? Sure it could have a deal with the jail or something but really, your job would be quite different.

I remember meeting some of the black water A-holes and while I'm sure not all of them are like this a lot are.. Most of them are doing their job for a paycheck and money is good. However those who actually care for what they are doing and for the most part "care" for people are the united states soldiers. Most people I know and have met would rather not kill innocent people to accomplish their objective.