Home General Discussion
Options

My 2nd Xikar torch bites the dust.

y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
Don't know why I have such trouble with these things. I had my first for 4 months before it stopped sparking. Sent it back a month ago, got a new one in the mail, now that one isn't igniting (using quadruple refined butane). Should I even bother mailing it back again or just pick up another from my B&M?

Comments

• Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I don't know if your doing something wrong or not but I have a double torch from them and I really do like the lighter. I did have it act up though. I used a cutip to clean off the burners then used a can of air to spray out the inside and clean out debris. I purged it first btw. Also I make sure the flame goes out before I close the top, and I always make sure I purge the lighter before I fill it. I am using vector fuel right now. You may be doing all this; I just know what I found that works when I was having issues.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    I'd recommend calling Xikar directly about it, see what they say. Their customer service has been top-notch in all my dealings with them. Do you know if you got the same lighter back? If they just fixed whatever was wrong with the original lighter, I would see if they would just send you a new one this time instead. They mighet even see this thread, a rep from Xikar posted here a while back about the free sheaths thing on a different thread with answers about the availability of the sheaths.
  • Options
    t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    Purging is big. That cured a lot of my Xikar problems. I really like their product now. I have one at the moment that is leaking out the fill valve which I need to send in.
  • Options
    Squirrel, you-da-man! Cleaned the burner with a q-tip and blasted it out with some compressed air and zing! It's firing like it was brand new! Thanks for the tips!
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    y2pascoe:
    Squirrel, you-da-man! Cleaned the burner with a q-tip and blasted it out with some compressed air and zing! It's firing like it was brand new! Thanks for the tips!
    thanks, though I learned that from kuzi and some other botls here. I was asking the same thing a while back.
  • Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    I don't know....I think I may be done with these torchs....I've gone through a Xikar and a Colibri, the Colibri cost me about $65 and although I am sure I can get them replaced, its a pain....torch lighters are cheap at the gas station etc....Im using one now...if it lasts a while then I may just go that route...these damn lighters seem like they are plagued with problems or are too delicate...
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    when you light the cigar how close are you holding the cigar to the lighter when you are puffing on it?
    if you hold it too close, the smoke, that is unsettled grease/tar and other particles, will build up in the lighter, eventually clogging it or stop the ignition system by keeping the spark from arcing.

you may be able to get in there with a precision tool set and scrape down everything you can see. maybe that will help.
  • Options
    Thanks! Will keep that in mind!
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I am SO SICK of torch lighters. They go through fuel quickly, have constant maintenance problems and are expensive as all get out. I'd rather spend my money on cigars than accessories, especially one we harnessed thousands of years ago. If torch lighters are your thing I think that's great - more power to you, but presently I'm pretty much a 100% match guy.
  • Options
    I'll use a match when I'm smoking in my B&M, but the torch has proved more or less invaluable when on the golf course.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Interesting. I have never had any trouble with any of my XiKar products, but I know a few guys who have had problems with every single XiKar thing they have ever owned. Luck of the draw I suppose. At least they are really accommodating about replacing stuff. Good luck...