Home General Discussion

Connecticut Wrapper Question

ZAPZAP Posts: 186 ✭✭
I have typically not smoked much of Connecticut wrapper cigars and have been wanting to broaden my horizons.  I have a few questions:

1-Are all Connecticut blends milder cigars?  If not what are some examples of stronger smokes.

2-I have heard good things about Rocky Patel Connecticut and on a whim picked up a RP Vintage 1999 Connecticut at a B & M.  Is this the one most refer to when talking RP Connecticut?   I was somewhat disappointed with this smoke.  Pretty tight draw and tough to get a lot of flavor out of it.  I followed it up with a Man o War and it was so nice to get back to a nice effortless draw and tons of creamy smoke.

3-What would be your recommendations for Connecticut wrapper smokes for someone who wants to experiment with this wrapper a little?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    If you're looking for a Connecticut wrapped cigar with stronger flavor try out the Cabaiguan. Mild-medium bodied, closer to med in my opinion, but tons of flavor. Most Connecticut cigars are milder though. Also the RP Connecticut is different from the Vintage 99. Also not as flavorful IMO. I've never been a big fan of it personal opinion.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    1- Most, but not all. The RP Signature pops to mind as an example of a conny that isn't mild.

2- The Rocky Patel Connecticut is an actual cigar, exclusive to Ccom and its sister, if I understand correctly. The RP Vintage 1999 is a different Connecticut wrapped Rocky, as is the RP Signature.

3- My recommendations would be Oliva Connecticut Reserve, Gurkha Symphony, or RP Signature for some good Connecticuts.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    ZAP:
    I have typically not smoked much of Connecticut wrapper cigars and have been wanting to broaden my horizons.  I have a few questions:

1-Are all Connecticut blends milder cigars?  If not what are some examples of stronger smokes.

2-I have heard good things about Rocky Patel Connecticut and on a whim picked up a RP Vintage 1999 Connecticut at a B & M.  Is this the one most refer to when talking RP Connecticut?   I was somewhat disappointed with this smoke.  Pretty tight draw and tough to get a lot of flavor out of it.  I followed it up with a Man o War and it was so nice to get back to a nice effortless draw and tons of creamy smoke.

3-What would be your recommendations for Connecticut wrapper smokes for someone who wants to experiment with this wrapper a little?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    1. No, but in general they are milder. One of the stronger ones that I can think of is the RP Edge Lite. It's not the most balanced cigar.

2. Not all of those Rocky Connecticuts are the same. The standard RP Connecticut is a Plasencia made stick that can be ok sometimes in certain vitolas. Very mild. The 1999 is made by General and is much more consistent. Also very mild. Then the RP Signature is made by AJ. It's probably more mild-med. I like that one a lot. I find it more interesting than the other two, and it's pricing is good.

3. When I first got into Connies I liked those 3 RP sticks above. I also like what Perdomo does with the wrapper. The ESV 91, and Champagne 10th Anniversary. Now my favorites are the 787, Zino Platinum, and I'm starting to experiment a bit with the Davidoffs. I keep meaning to pick up a camacho connie, but haven't gotten around to it.
  • babsdpubabsdpu Posts: 143
    If you're looking for a Connecticut with something extra, I would recommend the Camacho Connecticut. (I have a hard time finding them though, but they're worth it!)

The Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real is also one of my favorites. I think the opinions vary on that one though. Have fun!
  • MonteWhiteMonteWhite Posts: 200
    My favorite Connecticut is, of course, the Montecristo White. Fantastic smoke in my opinion.
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    I'll second the Perdomo 10th Anniversery Champagne for a connie that is a bit closer to medium body. I really enjoy these - very flavorful IMO.
  • ndhaon91ndhaon91 Posts: 441
    The Oliva Connecticut reserve is one of my favorite smokes.
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    Almost forgot (was reminded by another thread in Ratings & Reviews), MOW Virtue is another nice connie (imo) that is a bit closer to medium in strength.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i have to second the camacho connie. mild to medium in body...
    good stuff.

the Davidoff Aniversario Series uses a Ecuadorian grown Connecticut wrapper. however, these guys are a bit spendy. the cheapest ones are in the neighborhood of $20.
    the classic Davidoff uses a similar wrapper and is a bit cheaper. they are made in more traditional cuban sizes so if you dont like a small ring then you are SOL.
    the gran cru also uses this wrapper and i find the no. 2 to be the best of the line.

the only Davidoff that uses a Connecticut grown Wrapper is the Thousand series. this is one of the most friendly davidoffs in my opinion (given the price point and definition of flavor) i like the 2000 and the 4000 the best.

a cigar that i am surprised didnt make the list so far is the Cusano 18. smooth, consistent, and inexpensive. give those a go as well.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    For high end Connecticut, go with Kuzi's recs. Davidoff really has mastered the use of Connecticut shade grown wrappers. For an every day Connie, I can't think of anything that comes close to the EP Carrillo New Wave Connecticut Stellas for quality, complexity, flavor, and value (retails for 4$ and change IIRC). Cabaiguan, Fuente, AVO, Camacho, Zino all have great Connecticut wrapped cigars that I love as well.
  • ndhaon91ndhaon91 Posts: 441
    docbp87:
    For high end Connecticut, go with Kuzi's recs. Davidoff really has mastered the use of Connecticut shade grown wrappers. For an every day Connie, I can't think of anything that comes close to the EP Carrillo New Wave Connecticut Stellas for quality, complexity, flavor, and value (retails for 4$ and change IIRC). Cabaiguan, Fuente, AVO, Camacho, Zino all have great Connecticut wrapped cigars that I love as well.

I've never heard of that EP Carrillo. Can you drop me a PM on where to pick them up?
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    ndhaon91:
    docbp87:
    I've never heard of that EP Carrillo. Can you drop me a PM on where to pick them up?
    I don't know any online retailers that have them. A buddy of mine picked us up a couple from a b&m in our area. It is a damn good smoke. I just had one last Tuesday and I was very impressed!
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    PMs sent.