Home Cigar 101
Options

Temp - how low is too low?

xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
We all know that high temps are bad, that they lead to beetles and/or mold - but what about too low? How low is too low? Is there any reason 65F is the preferred temp, or is it just a convenient temp? If price/maintenance weren't a problem, what would the "ideal" temp be?

This is something that's always kinda bothered me; it's taken for granted that cool temps are good, but except for beetles/mold, I've never really heard any other reason why.

Comments

• Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    From what I've heard, Temperatures below 54 impair the desired aging process, And, Temperatures above 75 raise the chance for infestation and rotting/mold. ( yuck)
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    .... Also, warm air has a higher moisture capacity, so cooler air will lower the humidity level as well.
  • Options
    MonteWhiteMonteWhite Posts: 200
    Questions like these always intrigue me. Studying in a field of science and working in a field in medicine, I cannot help but wonder if anyone has conducted legitimate empirical experiments involving cigars, and beetles, mold, aging, etc. I would love to do such experiments. If only I had the funding...
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    MonteWhite:
    Questions like these always intrigue me. Studying in a field of science and working in a field in medicine, I cannot help but wonder if anyone has conducted legitimate empirical experiments involving cigars, and beetles, mold, aging, etc. I would love to do such experiments. If only I had the funding...
    http://www.jstor.org/pss/3492110
  • Options
    MonteWhiteMonteWhite Posts: 200
    That is interesting. Now at the moment, I can only read the first page of the article. But regardless of how well Crumb and Chamberlin researched this, it's very old and likely outdated. I have access to virtually an unlimited number of journals and archives, including Jstor, so I will go back and read the full article as well as other, more recent articles, in the near future. I'm curious as to how much research has been conducted and how the ecology and physiology of the beetles have changed.