Home Cigar 101
Options

Humidor again....

First I'd like to say although I haven't posted at all, many of you have given me alot of useful information.  I've read about 10 different ways of seasoning my new humidor.  I received this humidor as a christmas present and it is my first.  I consider myself much the newbie in the cigar world.  I'm looking forward to properly setting up my humidor.  I do not have any cigars to put into the humidor so time is not an issue.  I know that there have been a few posts concerning the proper seasoning and I apolgize for the repetitive nature of this post.  A few questions...

1. I also received a 50/50 glycol/distilled water solution with my humidor.  The label on the bottle says that I should be putting this solution in to the humidifer(correct term) every 3-4 months or when I see rapid change in the humidity within my humidor.  Is this something I should use in the seasoning process?  What is the benefit/downfall to using this solution?  Also when do you recomend I should use this solution? 

2.  In seasoning the humidor,  I've read a few articles that state a damp sponge soaked with distilled water should be placed into the bottom of the humidor.  I've also read a few articles that stated I should place a shot glass with distilled water in the bottom of the humidor.  Also, a few have stated that the inside of the humidor should be wiped down with a damp towl or sponge.  The humidor I purchased said that the inside should not be wiped down.  What are your opinions?  What is the best way to go about doing this?  What is the benefit to wiping down the inside?

3. If I obtain a reading of 72 on the hydrometer with the sponge or shot glass still inside,  Is it now safe to put cigars inside or should I wait?  If so for how long? 

4.  Is the green sponge inside of the black box the best device for maintaing humidity?  Are there better options? 

5.  Once the humidor is seasoned,  how often should I refill the humidifier? 

I know that I asked alot of questions.  I apologize for that.  I just would really hate to screw up the new humidor.  Thanks again. 

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Let me give this one a shot.

1: The 50/50 solution should not be used for seasoning. The first time you charge up your humidification device you will want to use the 50/50 solution, it helps to maintain a more stable humidity. Every 3-4 months is probably a good time frame to use the 50/50, or if you start to see dips and peaks in your humidity, the key is to try and keep a stable environment.

2: The main problem with a damp sponge is that it can introduce moisture directly to the wood, which is not a good thing to do. The sponge can be used, but you will have to put a small dish or plate underneath it. Also a small saucer or shot glass will work just fine, there is not really an advantage to either one. If you wipe down the inside, just make sure you're not soaking the wood. A lightly damp, not wet, towel can be used because it won't saturate the wood. Wiping down the interior will only help to speed up the seasoning, so if time is no issue then you may as well skip that.

3: If your humidor reads stable at 72%, then you should be ok to put cigars in. You may notice a drop in humidity after you put the cigars in though, this is somewhat normal as the cigars will absorb the humidity until the cigar's humidity is consistent with that of the humidor.

4: The green sponge is ok for a while but it is not the best long-term solution. Many here, myself included, like to use heartfelt beads to maintain a good environment. The beads, which you can find here help to maintain a more stable humidity and are not prone to growing mold like the sponge can be.

5: You refill the humidifier as often as it needs it. If you notice your humidity start to drop, chances are you need a refill.

And most importantly of all, once you get this up and running, don't give it too much thought. The key to cigar smoking is relaxation, and you don't want to spoil that by constantly worrying about you humidity. Welcome to the board, enjoy your stay.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Some quick answers, tuck:

1. I wouldn't. Just use distilled water. The glycol might not harm the cedar, but it definitely isn't needed during seasoning, so why bother with it?

2. You'll find various people here have used all of those methods. The safest one for your humi is the shot glass method. Wiping down the inside speeds up the seasoning process, but sometimes causes the wood to split. Since time isn't an issue for you, why risk it?

3. If the humidity level stays stable for 24-48 hrs., you're good to go. If it's still fluctuating, you're not done seasoning yet.

4. The green sponge is probably the worst device for maintaining humidity. Heartfelt beads are much better, and cheap. Depending on the size of your new humi, a Cigar Oasis is even better. There are also gels and crystals and such that work the same way as the beads.

5. Whenever your hygrometer says the humidity level is falling. Make sure to calibrate your hygro before using it. Do a forum search for "salt test" to find instructions on how to do that.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Urby, why would you say an oasis is better? is it because of the fan and such? I'm curious as I may be getting one with a new humi I want. I know they are popular but wondering why they would be considered better than beads. Maybe they don't take as much room up, or that they don't need attention as much?
  • Options
    They get your humi back to normal humidity much faster after you've had it open, they keep it within a couple percentage points of where you want it, they circulate the humidity much better, and they don't need as much attention. I've had mine in my 300-ct. humi since June. I've had to refill it exactly once.

Whether it takes up more or less space than the beads is a hard one to answer. It depends on the quantity of beads you use, and the size of your humi.
  • Options
    what kind of oasis do you have?
  • Options
    The XL.
  • Options
    That's the one I was looking at. Just have to make sure it'll be big enough. Got to calculate cu inches..
  • Options
    The Oasis will be big enough...I've got one running my 120 quart coolerdor, it handles that kind of space with ease. So unless you're getting a large cabinet, I wouldn't worry about it being able to get the coverage.
  • Options
    I intend to get another one for my coolerdor, too, sometime this winter. The one thing I don't like about it is that the Oasis fan makes a surprising amount of noise, and the only place I have room for my coolerdor is in my bedroom.
  • Options
    Hmm, that's odd, I can only hear my fan when I open the lid and it happens to be running. The same goes for one that I have in 250 count, and that one seems to run quite frequently.
  • Options
    Interesting. I wonder if mine's a bit off. It works great, but the fan does make a noise -- harsher than a whir, but softer than a buzz -- that's quite audible even when the humi is closed.
  • Options
    Thanks again for everyone that replied.  I'm going to look into those beads.  The only other question I have is about the humidor itself.  I was wiping out the inside of the box and noticed what appeared to be stain seaping (spelling?) through to the inside.  It appears as if its coming through the grain of the wood.  Is this going to be a problem with the sealing of the humidor?   Again I appreciate all the help. 
  • Options
    It is hard to say if it will be a problem. Probably the best way to find out is to get it up and running and see if humidity holds steady, if it does then there are no problems, if not it might be a good idea to try and exchange it with the company you purchased it from.
  • Options
    The humidor is a Cuban Crafter brand humidor.