Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Whale wars!

wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
Oh yeah it's a new season! Another few weeks of hoping to see one of these hippies horrifically injured or killed. Yay me.

Comments

• Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    wwestern:
    Oh yeah it's a new season! Another few weeks of hoping to see one of these hippies horrifically injured or killed. Yay me.
    I have to agree on this one. I find myself rooting for the whalers even though I'm against whaling.
  • Options
    mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    stupidest show ever, yet i watch it when i can for the same reason. I'm all for animal rights, you know, they have the right to get from the grill into my belly. But, seriously, these ppl are idiots.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    cabinetmaker:
    wwestern:
    I have to agree on this one. I find myself rooting for the whalers even though I'm against whaling.
    Same. I'm amazed they continue to get funding considering how poorly things are run. I love that south park bit on the show. I laughed my ass off at that.
  • Options
    cabinetmaker:
    wwestern:
    I don't really care about whales one way or the other but the way they attack these whaling ships and terrorize the people working on them makes me wish ill upon them.
  • Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    wwestern:
    cabinetmaker:
    wwestern:
    I don't really care about whales one way or the other but the way they attack these whaling ships and terrorize the people working on them makes me wish ill upon them.
    Dude really???? The fukn Japs are using loopholes to whale illegally I'm glad there are people willing to tell those mofo's to stop when other people won't.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    wwestern:
    cabinetmaker:
    wwestern:
    +1

The Japanese support limited hunting on healthy populations, though they are using the "scientific research" excuse to harvest some. The environmentalists support a total, permanent ban, regardless of whale population levels, and they use these terror tactics to get their point across. Between limited hunting and a total ban from a bunch of vegan terrorist hippies, I'll take the whaler's side

• Options
    I want to see one of those giant harpoons fly through the cabin of that ship sooooooooo bad lol
  • Options
    Knoxca1Knoxca1 Posts: 148 ✭✭
    Hayblet:
    wwestern:
    cabinetmaker:
    wwestern:

Dude really???? The fukn Japs are using loopholes to whale illegally I'm glad there are people willing to tell those mofo's to stop when other people won't.

Why shouldn't they be allowed to. If the Japanese don't have a law saying it's illegal for them to hunt whales what they are doing is not illegal to them. I sure hope the US isn't beholden to other countries laws.
  • Options
    lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Knoxca1:
    Hayblet:
    wwestern:
    cabinetmaker:
    wwestern:
    Why shouldn't they be allowed to. If the Japanese don't have a law saying it's illegal for them to hunt whales what they are doing is not illegal to them. I sure hope the US isn't beholden to other countries laws.
    +1
  • Options
    JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    These retards are the most incompentent sailors I have ever seen. Furthermore, they go up to massive ships and throw stink-bombs and such at them. I wonder how long before someone takes them out with a .50 cal.
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    bige1371bige1371 Posts: 196
    Haylbet are we still in world war 2 down in bumfck SC or something? Your South Carolinan Hicks, Rednecks, and hillbillies are responsible for more poaching than the evil "Japs".
  • Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    First off, not from round here, secoind it is a INTERNATIONAL BAN ON WHALING and Japan uses "research" as an excuse to hunt down these defenseless animals claiming they are "checking stomach contents" and "tracking other bs" it's all a huge crock so that they can use the whale meat and blubber for commercial gains, plain and simple.
  • Options
    bigjohn125bigjohn125 Posts: 476
    wwestern:
    I thought I was the only one!
  • Options
    GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    Hayblet:
    First off, not from round here, secoind it is a INTERNATIONAL BAN ON WHALING and Japan uses "research" as an excuse to hunt down these defenseless animals claiming they are "checking stomach contents" and "tracking other bs" it's all a huge crock so that they can use the whale meat and blubber for commercial gains, plain and simple.
    I couldn't agree more Hayblet.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
  • Options
    bige1371bige1371 Posts: 196
    Sorry I assumed you were a hillbilly because You used the term "Fuking Japs" . I thought only uneducated rednecks still use that term. I do agree with you on your points about the international ban though.
  • Options
    Hayblet:
    LOL. So if they declare an INTERNATIONAL BAN ON BEEF you think Americans should adhere to that? I'm not real fond of the Idea that someone with no interest in my country or it's success making rules for it...
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    wwestern:
    Hayblet:
    LOL. So if they declare an INTERNATIONAL BAN ON BEEF you think Americans should adhere to that? I'm not real fond of the Idea that someone with no interest in my country or it's success making rules for it...
    +1!!!

Just like the U.N. pushing for the global handgun ban! I'll be damned if I'd stand by while the U.S. adheres to something like that.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Um, US law only appiles in the US. So yes, in other countries or in international waters, you need to adhere to their rule of law, whatever it may be.
  • Options
    Luko:
    Um, US law only appiles in the US. So yes, in other countries or in international waters, you need to adhere to their rule of law, whatever it may be.
    For this to be logical mermaids would've had to write the anti whaling laws.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    wwestern:
    Luko:
    For this to be logical mermaids would've had to write the anti whaling laws.
    Coming from a clown like you...
  • Options
    Luko:

Who is this country "international" and how are they making laws for the oceans?
  • Options
    So countries that no longer need to hunt whales since they discovered oil, have no problem banning the hunting of them on countries that actually still have a need for them. Sounds fair to me.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Save the Whales! Come on people...hasn't anyone seen Star Trek 4??? geez

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    Krieg:
    Save the Whales! Come on people...hasn't anyone seen Star Trek 4??? geez
    "Can you tell us where your nuclear wessels are?"
  • Options
    OK ppl lets get a grip. First I don’t support whaling. Second it's against international law. Now, for those you who don’t understand this; The US and other signature countries do answer to International law, that’s why it's called "International Law". Int. law allows the world leaders to try and convict war criminals in The Hague, intervene when other countries are violating human rights etc. The International Whaling Commission (IWC) was established in "WASHINGTON D.C." in 1946 to provide guidance for whaling yadda yadda yadda, in 1986 a moratorium on commercial whaling was signed and has not yet been lifted. Japan is a signatory of the IWC.

Third, US law extends further than the US, it affects US citizens abroad, think of the "Child Protect Act" also, people who commit crime against the US are subject to US law that’s why we have extradition treaties. .

Fourth, hunting whale has nothing to do with oil, Japan is using the scientific loophole to hunt whale. The Japanese government actually subsidizes the whale industry and most of the whales that are killed stay in Japan since there is no market for export. Mainly, the Japanese hunt whale because they can get away with it under the current treaty and because it part of their culture.

Fifth, there will never be an international ban on beef as beef is an excepted form of food and has been since the beginning of time (except in counties where they find the cow holy) and beef is farmed raised for slaughter. Whales are by no means farm raised.

Sixth, and this is a bit of trivia for those who don’t know. The US has legal jurisdiction on all land outside the US that does not fall under a sovereign government and that has bat guano on it. That’s right folks if a bat takes a dump on and island and that island isn’t part of another county, it’s subject to US law. Now, you ask how is this possible and the answer is: because we’re a world power and that’s the way it is.

The bottom line is that the idiots who are portrayed in this show are no better than the Somali pirates if and when the move past being an annoyance. If they attack the ship regardless of what they attack with or board the ship they can be charged with piracy. Hell, Green Peace doesn’t even want to be associated with them.

There will be a 7th, 8th, and 9th as I see more comments that are based on opinion rather than fact.

Have a good day!!
  • Options
    y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    I'm totally cool with whales. It's these sharks I hate!
  • Options
    mfotis:
    Fifth, there will never be an international ban on beef as beef is an excepted form of food and has been since the beginning of time (except in counties where they find the cow holy) and beef is farmed raised for slaughter. Whales are by no means farm raised.

If you've ever been to Japan it doesn't have a midwest to raise cows on farms. Beef is extremely expensive in Japan becasue they have very limited space. Their diet is more dependant on sea food than the states because of this.

Beef being an excepted food and whale not is an opinion not a fact. What organization decides what is an excepted food?
  • Options
    Knoxca1:
    mfotis:

If you've ever been to Japan it doesn't have a midwest to raise cows on farms. Beef is extremely expensive in Japan becasue they have very limited space. Their diet is more dependant on sea food than the states because of this. Beef being an excepted food and whale not is an opinion not a fact. What organization decides what is an excepted food?
    First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew.
    Then they came for the Communists and I did not speak out because I was not a Communist.
    Then they came for the trade unionists and I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist.
    Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Just seemed like a good spot to put this:)
  • Options
    Knoxca1:
    mfotis:

If you've ever been to Japan it doesn't have a midwest to raise cows on farms. Beef is extremely expensive in Japan becasue they have very limited space. Their diet is more dependant on sea food than the states because of this. Beef being an excepted food and whale not is an opinion not a fact. What organization decides what is an excepted food?
    It's not an opinion that beef is an excepted form of meat it’s raised almost world wide for food; I would have to say the moratorium on whaling as a food source is not an opinion it is a fact. Japan, is a signatory of this treaty. Also, Japan has Kobe beef. I’ve been to Japan and they have plenty of grassland to raise beef. Whale meat isn’t replacing beef in Japan it’s a luxury food. An independent study commissioned by Green Peace, (I know GP is anti whaling but they had a Japanese research company do the study) showed that the everyday Japanese person doesn’t even eat whale meat.