Home General Discussion
Options

coolerdor question

So I have a 50 bottle wine fridge that i just recieved I am not using it for cooling at all as my basement stays between 63-68 degrees year round. I built 3 spanish cedar shelves in it and currently have 2 lbs. of 65% humidity beads in it as well as a cigar oasis xl set at 63% humidity as i dont want it to over humidify when I first open it. I am storing all my cigars in boxes for now but I also have 6 spanish cedar trays for future stock that hold 30+ cigars each. now if I leave it overnight it will be exactly 65% humidity but the time taken to even out the humidity to 65% after I open it will take 30-40 minutes to stabalize at 65%. So my question is it worth it to purchase more beads to stabalize faster then that or Is the time taken to stablize quicker not worth the $60 it will cost for another 2 pounds of beads. The cost is not really a concern to me but if it is not going to really be worth the cost I dont want to waste the money. If its needed the cu. ft. is 5.8 and currently I have about 120 cigars in it with about 200 more on the way from a current order which will be 80% stored in boxes. I just dont really want to waste the money on the beads if it is not a worthwhile expense but if it is I have no problem spending it. thanks

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I think once you add the cigars you have coming they will really help to stabilize the RH. Aside from that, I don't think a fluctuation of 2-3% over 30-40 minutes is anything to be concerned about...that is to say, I wouldn't bother buying the extra beads, I'd leave it alone the way it is.

Sounds like a pretty cool setup, if you can, post some pics of it...I love seeing people's wine chiller humidors as I'm looking to eventually get one of my own going.
  • Options
    cubbychubbycubbychubby Posts: 29
    Sounds like you've got it covered pretty well. Back when I lived in Chicago my humidor was in the basement.....very sweet. Now that I'm in Texas, I miss my basement humidor !!