Home Cigar 101

Burning issue

beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
I've noticed different burn patterns. Somehave mounds of ember yet some are concave. just had one where the filler was 1/2 inch deeper than the wrapper Does anyone have any good scientic explaination. Is it construction, different moisture? Different leafs? How should a proper burn look?

Comments

• The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Anything you listed could play a role brother, but I would say a good 95% of the time its how fast or slow you're smoking. If you're smoking fast, the burn of the wrapper portion will outpace that of the filler. If you're smoking slowly, the filler will burn faster than the wrapper. If you're smoking at or near the perfect pace (which I almost never seem to pull off) the wrapper and filler should burn pretty close to evenly.

• The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Noticed that too, some I have to smoke a little quicker to get an even burn. Does the size of the ash, or when you ash, have any effect?
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    It also has to do with what part of the plant the wrapper and binder are made of. Ligero leaves burn much slower and are usually in the center of the filler bunch, that's why you usually get a cone shaped burn because the center ligero leaves are burning slower. The lower primings burn much easier and evenly. If the wrapper is ligero, or a higher priming, that will burn slower too. Fuller bodied cigars with lots of ligero are much harder to get to burn correctly and need lots of extra fermentation and aging.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    bigharpoon:
    It also has to do with what part of the plant the wrapper and binder are made of. Ligero leaves burn much slower and are usually in the center of the filler bunch, that's why you usually get a cone shaped burn because the center ligero leaves are burning slower. The lower primings burn much easier and evenly. If the wrapper is ligero, or a higher priming, that will burn slower too. Fuller bodied cigars with lots of ligero are much harder to get to burn correctly and need lots of extra fermentation and aging.
    Kind of true. If your cigars are stored properly, and you are smoking them at the proper pace, then the "cone" isn't going to happen. Cigars are blended with seco and viso in large part for combustion, so unless you are smoking a cigar that is all ligero (which in my opinion is one of the problems with gimmicky crap like Cain and the punisher and whatever else) the burn isn't going to be an issue of blend.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    docbp87:
    bigharpoon:
    Kind of true. If your cigars are stored properly, and you are smoking them at the proper pace, then the "cone" isn't going to happen. Cigars are blended with seco and viso in large part for combustion, so unless you are smoking a cigar that is all ligero (which in my opinion is one of the problems with gimmicky crap like Cain and the punisher and whatever else) the burn isn't going to be an issue of blend.
    I've had a cone before, and it usually reduces with a slower pace. But this stick was burning way down the filler. The wrapper was far behind.
    OK Gran Habano 2000 Vintage. I've heard of burn issues, and I've had them. I'm just trying to figure it out. I love the taste of this 7 year aged wrapper, but.......
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    beatnic:
    docbp87:
    bigharpoon:
    I've had a cone before, and it usually reduces with a slower pace. But this stick was burning way down the filler. The wrapper was far behind.
    OK Gran Habano 2000 Vintage. I've heard of burn issues, and I've had them. I'm just trying to figure it out. I love the taste of this 7 year aged wrapper, but.......
    everything in this quote is true in a way. Ligero does burn slowly, storage and humidity has to do with it, and pace of smoke has to do with it.
    an all ligero cigar can and will burn correctly if it is fermented correctly and constructed correctly. so that cant be all of it. if you smoke way too slow and almost let it go out between every puff it will burn inward, if the humidor is too moist and the outer leaves are too moist they will burn slowly.

i still feel that construction issues will cause an inward burn more often than not.

a "proper" burn will be about even with a tiny bit of a cone.
    Alex once mentioned that if there is a cone it should stick out no more than half the diameter of the cigar.

Thanks for the input guys.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    beatnic:
    docbp87:
    bigharpoon:
    everything in this quote is true in a way. Ligero does burn slowly, storage and humidity has to do with it, and pace of smoke has to do with it.
    an all ligero cigar can and will burn correctly if it is fermented correctly and constructed correctly. so that cant be all of it. if you smoke way too slow and almost let it go out between every puff it will burn inward, if the humidor is too moist and the outer leaves are too moist they will burn slowly.

i still feel that construction issues will cause an inward burn more often than not.

Alex once mentioned that if there is a cone it should stick out no more than half the diameter of the cigar.

I will take this a little further. When there is a construction issue it will rarely be that the cigar is burning the wrapper faster or vice versa. It will almost always be that one side burns quicker or you get tunneling, where it burns inward then pops a hole out on the side. Just small amounts of an inverted cone or too long a cone is caused by smoking speed 90% of the time.
    Tunneling. Thats what it was doing and i did see a hot spot on the side. I wasnt smong fast but did have to draw hard to get it burning. Live and learn. Still like the stick.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:
    beatnic:
    docbp87:
    bigharpoon:

I will take this a little further. When there is a construction issue it will rarely be that the cigar is burning the wrapper faster or vice versa. It will almost always be that one side burns quicker or you get tunneling, where it burns inward then pops a hole out on the side. Just small amounts of an inverted cone or too long a cone is caused by smoking speed 90% of the time.

Tunneling is simply where you have a "tunnel" that has burned ahead of the rest of the cigar, not where it burns a hole out the side. When that happens, you are either smoking a VERY s*hitty cigar, or you just have no idea how to smoke a cigar lol. Tunneling can be caused by a few different things though, from poor construction/improper construction, to humidity, to pace.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    docbp87:
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:
    beatnic:
    docbp87:
    bigharpoon:

Tunneling is simply where you have a "tunnel" that has burned ahead of the rest of the cigar, not where it burns a hole out the side. When that happens, you are either smoking a VERY s*hitty cigar, or you just have no idea how to smoke a cigar lol. Tunneling can be caused by a few different things though, from poor construction/improper construction, to humidity, to pace.
    I didn't mean to say that burning out the side is tunneling, but tunnelling can cause a hole to burn out the side.

I guess if Padron, Cusano and HdM are VERY s*hitty then you are correct. Those are three off the top of my head that have burned a hole out the side on me.

Tunneling has absolutely NOTHING to do with pace. It is only caused by construction, it is an area in the cigar that has less filler, OR by improper humidification, certain tobaccos will burn slowly or faster when they are too dry or humid.

Before you make personal attacks you should be sure you aren't the one who doesn't know what they are talking about.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I find it funny that the more I concentrate on smoking it and pacing myself the crappier it burns and the more I'm doing something or enjoying company, the better it burns... Maybe it's the movement of the cigar since I talk with my hands, maybe it's the fact that a minute between each puff and the %Rh in my Humi don't mix...

But if I'm worried about burn, it burns like hell... when I'm casually smoking and distracted by company or the forums it burns right as rain
  • dwayne3307dwayne3307 Posts: 272
    Lasabar:
    I find it funny that the more I concentrate on smoking it and pacing myself the crappier it burns and the more I'm doing something or enjoying company, the better it burns... Maybe it's the movement of the cigar since I talk with my hands, maybe it's the fact that a minute between each puff and the %Rh in my Humi don't mix...

But if I'm worried about burn, it burns like hell... when I'm casually smoking and distracted by company or the forums it burns right as rain
    I'm the same way. Good info in this post fellas, thanks for answering some questions I had.