Home General Discussion
Options

What do you do with your cigar labels?

KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
When I get done with my smoke, I usually like to keep the cigar labels and add them to my cigar dossier, with a short review and a rating system I like to use for each smoke. And it seems half the people I talk to don't really care about thier cigar labels (regardless if they liked the smoke or not). What do you do with your labels? Do you just throw them in a box, get rid of them or actually use for them for some other purpose, if so, what do you do?

"Long ashes my friends."

Comments

• Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    At the moment i keep mine in a big jar if they are a good smoke, kind of a reminder to buy them again. If its a crap stick i throw it out. I've been saving them meaning to do what you are doing. Time hasnt been on my side lately though.
  • Options
    tshawtshaw Posts: 178
    Krieg:
    When I get done with my smoke, I usually like to keep the cigar labels and add them to my cigar dossier, with a short review and a rating system I like to use for each smoke. And it seems half the people I talk to don't really care about thier cigar labels (regardless if they liked the smoke or not). What do you do with your labels? Do you just throw them in a box, get rid of them or actually use for them for some other purpose, if so, what do you do?
    I do the same thing the first time i have a smoke good or bad, add it to the dossier and rate it myself, and i know i can trust it because the cigar companies dont advertise in my dossier ;)
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    tshaw:
    Krieg:
    I do the same thing the first time i have a smoke good or bad, add it to the dossier and rate it myself, and i know i can trust it because the cigar companies dont advertise in my dossier ;)
    That's a good idea actually. I have been saving the good ones for when I get my bar build, then I'd like to lacquer over them. I think it would be a really cool thing to do. I saw something like that in a show on the HG network. Thought it was a really cool idea. Though I also like the idea of keeping a journel, I've been thinking about doing that as well.
  • Options
    tshaw:
    Krieg:
    What do you rate your cigars on? Just taste ? I like to rate/review everything about the cigar. The rating sheet I typed up has 4 main catergories. 1. Overall Appearence (20 points) 2. Lighting and Burning Properties (15 points) 3. Construction (30 points max) 4. Taste (35 points) And of course, a spot for my label :) If anyone is interested, I will be happy in sending a copy of my review sheet I use.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947

Keep the ones I like-don't need to keep the ones I don't like as I have a good memory/ Will do something special with them but don't know what yet

• Options
    tshawtshaw Posts: 178
    Krieg:
    tshaw:
    Krieg:
    What do you rate your cigars on? Just taste ? I like to rate/review everything about the cigar. The rating sheet I typed up has 4 main catergories. 1. Overall Appearence (20 points) 2. Lighting and Burning Properties (15 points) 3. Construction (30 points max) 4. Taste (35 points) And of course, a spot for my label :) If anyone is interested, I will be happy in sending a copy of my review sheet I use.
    Well i have a box to describe the experience as a whole, what i liked, what i didnt like, the flavors and construction, then i say whether i would buy it again usually, then i have a seperate box for an actual number rating and i also record the brand, specific cigar, the size, where i bought it, the price, the time smoked, my last meal i ate, what i had to eat or drink with the cigar. i think as i smoke more and more, it will be nice to flip through the book see a forgotten label i liked, and buy the cigar again :)
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I actually save mine for the same reason as Phobic. Lay them out to cover the top of my bar when I build it and cover it all in some kind of clear resin. Either that or glue them all down on a big piece of poster board and frame it for the game room when my wife and I find a nice house later this year.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    I used to save all of em. then the bag i was putting them in overflowed. so i got another. when that one got full i said to myself "self, why are you saving these?" i couldnt figure it out.

now i just throw the bands out.
  • Options
    PuroFreak:
    I actually save mine for the same reason as Phobic. Lay them out to cover the top of my bar when I build it and cover it all in some kind of clear resin. Either that or glue them all down on a big piece of poster board and frame it for the game room when my wife and I find a nice house later this year.
    That's a pretty good idea, when I decide to finish my basement, I might try do something like this...I'm also still trying to convince the wife to let me turn the closet into my own personal walk-in humidor :)

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    I used to save all of em. then the bag i was putting them in overflowed. so i got another. when that one got full i said to myself "self, why are you saving these?" i couldnt figure it out.

now i just throw the bands out.
    My plan exactly...
  • Options
    cubbychubbycubbychubby Posts: 29
    My backyard is my cigar label (and nub) graveyard.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    with as much effort cigar makers put into those bands...I'm wanting them to be used to make a piece of art.

Now I need to find someone with enough ingenuity and vigor to create a classic piece of art with them..maybe a mosaic type piece shaped like a cigar?

I don't know, but I have some very artistic people in my life that I think could pull it off, now if I could sell them on the idea, I don't know.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    bbc020:
    with as much effort cigar makers put into those bands...I'm wanting them to be used to make a piece of art.

Now I need to find someone with enough ingenuity and vigor to create a classic piece of art with them..maybe a mosaic type piece shaped like a cigar?

I don't know, but I have some very artistic people in my life that I think could pull it off, now if I could sell them on the idea, I don't know.
    PM sent.
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Been saving mine like a couple other people on here - to make furniture with. I was thinking either a bar or a coffee table that I could lay them over the top and make a nice little display piece.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I keep mine in an Upmann box. At least the ones I remember to put in there. The rest are in the center console of my pathfinder waiting for me to not be lazy and put them in the box too.
  • Options
    I saw a guy take them and glue them to a desk top humi. It turned out really cool.
  • Options
    My girl friend for a birthday present took all the ones i have been saving and made a collage of them in a frame its really cool i think i will have to get her to do it on the new humidor that i have coming in.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    smokester:
    My girl friend for a birthday present took all the ones i have been saving and made a collage of them in a frame its really cool i think i will have to get her to do it on the new humidor that i have coming in.
    I've been saving all mine for a long time just for that purpose.
  • Options
    that's also a good idea, to put them on a humi. I have a desktop humi 20ct that isn't being used atm, so I might take some of my labels and start decorating it.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    I was originally tossing them in an old hurricane lamp as I expected to get a cigar dossier. I haven't gotten one yet so now I just have a big hurricane lamp full of cigar bands. I had heard about a site where you can send in a bunch of bands and get stuff in return, like Marlboro miles and camel points, but I cant find the site back.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    There is one that I know of called Band wagon USA, never used them, I just know they exist.
  • Options
    prs621prs621 Posts: 19
    I got a coffee table and added all my labels to it, and every now and then I add more it turned out awesome.
  • Options
    Dude LoveDude Love Posts: 315
    I'm planning on making a cigar shaped mosaic with all mine...but with about 5 bands to my name, it's gonna be a while.
  • Options
    rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    I was saving mine to do the "cigar log" thing with and paste them into the pages with the reviews but I am so far behind that I think I will do something else with them. I have a 50 stick desktop that a little cologne got spilled on and caused the varnish to bubble a little bit. Maybe I'll do a collage on it with the bands and refinish it. I've seen some for sale that looked like that but it was just a photo collage, not actual bands. I really like the bar idea but I'd have to wait until I'm done moving around with the military to do something like that. Of course that would give me a lot of time to save bands.