Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Aged 1 year My Father Le Bijou

I had no intention of reviewing this cigar but I feel compelled to because it is so impressive what aging has done for this cigar. What a difference a year makes. This cigar is for taking the entire box and shove as far back into your humidor as you can. From my tasting notes last year this ROTT was a powerhouse peppery spicy cigar that I didn't much enjoy. I wrote down that it reminded me of a PADRON 1926 overpowered and no flavor. The cigar was hard to retrohale and flavors were muted due to the level of spice. I stuck them at the bottom of my humi and disregarded them for a year and now I'm back. What a change, this cigar amazes me from what I recall was disappointment. The refinement it has underwent was to it's benefit and mine. This is a beautiful cigar and blows away the entire line with a year or better behind it. This is still a powerhouse but the flavors are finally there. Flavors of malt, cedar, oak, sweetness, and a floral note. Also note a cotton candy flavor in the retrohale. This is the best My Father to date.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Comments

• Options
    t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    Already in my "top 3 to try". Gunna have to break down and get a few.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    The Le Bijou is definitely a cigar that shows much aging potential. I just picked up a dozen and put 11 down for a long nap...the one I smoked confirmed it's a good cigar but needs some age.
  • Options
    BlueRingsBlueRings Posts: 367
    Beautiful after one year if you can wait that long. I should of smoke one at three then six to test if it was worth it at those milestone but im not unhappy that I waited this long, IMO worth it.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    t_evan50:
    Already in my "top 3 to try". Gunna have to break down and get a few.
    I was happy as a pig in *** when I saw these at my local cbar. I've had several. Def a great smoke. Full bodied and very well balanced.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I've got about 10 of these, and 10 of the habano that have about 6 months on them, but I buried them. I don't plan on touching them for at least a year. Based on everything I've read and heard about the blend, this thread included, and having had one of the habanos that had over 2 years on it, courtesy of Todd, leads me to believe that that was a good choice. Glad to hear you enjoyed it.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    This is one of my fave cigars right now. I have been unable to keep any for a year but your reviews tempts me to. Thanks for throwing that out there. I get everything you get out of the year old one except the malt and cotton candy. But it sounds to me like they are more pronounced with age,
  • Options
    The cotton candy taste I get is through the nose represented by the floral sweetness. The malt is the tang on the tongue in the back of the throat. The strength may have toned down even more from your batch after a year which would let those flavors shine. I never tasted it the first time i smoked them so the age must let that through.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    On a related note, I found a My Father lancero today while rummaging in the humidor with about 2 years on it, fantastic cigar right there.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    j0z3r:
    On a related note, I found a My Father lancero today while rummaging in the humidor with about 2 years on it, fantastic cigar right there.
    Second favorite My Father for me. Love the lancero, but for me, the Robusto is the best of the bunch. While I love the Le Bijou, the regular My Father is the best IMO.
  • Options
    So far now that I've stock piled Pepin sticks over the years it pays off in 10 fold. Pepin cigars are for aging. I'm smoking a Cubao that I found between the boxes that is showing me something. Not too long ago I smoked a Los Imperialistas, My Father #1, and this cigar all between 1 yr up to 3yrs and they are amazing. Next up My Father 2010 Limited. It will change your opinion on these cigars it is what I believe Pepin intend with his products. Sure you can smoke it ROTT but the real prize is patience. I will smoke no cigar before it's time, Lmao.
  • Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have quite a few of the various DPG Cuban Classics (60+) that have 2 years or more on them and they are fantastic. I love stock piling the DPG brand and have a total of about 150+ from him and I think 2 years is a good starting time and I can't wait to see what 3, 4 and 5 years taste like. I also have an unopened box of the 5 Vegas Miami Toro's that Pepin blended so I am looking forward to opening that soon also.