Home General Discussion
Options

How about these Nubs

What is everyone's take on Nubs?

Comments

• Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    the Habano is a really decent stick for what it is. it's a little one dimensional as is the maduro. I would recommend the habano nub plus and the cain f nubs. they seem to be the most tasty. they do burn well and burn long though.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I bought a 5er of the Connecticut ones... Then another 5er... Then a Box...

Never really cared for the Maduro flavor, but the Connie one tickles my fancy!
  • Options
    Thanks for the input man
  • Options
    This actually inspired me to light up one from my first 5er...
  • Options
    MephistoMephisto Posts: 508
    I've had the cameroon and wasn't crazy about it...something about both the flavor and the size just didn't work for me. I do have some of the habanos stashed away but they're going to have to wait a few more months for me to get back to my humidor.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I like the flavors of the nubs, even though they are one dimensional they are a good dimension, I just don't like the big ring gauges. I find they are tough to keep an even burn on.
  • Options
    bige1371bige1371 Posts: 196
    I started out with them. I have a couple in the humi that have been there about a year. It's about time to get to smoking. I really like the Connies. Don't let the size fool you the will still burn for about 45min to an hour.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    The maduro is fantastic, one of my favorite maduro cigars on the market. The others, not so crazy about.
  • Options
    MonteWhiteMonteWhite Posts: 200
    I've smoked the Cameroon and the Habano. The latter I thought was pretty good and the Cameroon was okay IMO. I also think they're a bit one dimensional, but what flavors that are there are enjoyable. And I'm not a fan of the huge ring gauges, but I think the NUBS are actually kind of fun to smoke.
  • Options
    MTuccelliMTuccelli Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭
    I enjoy both the connie and cameroon nubs
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    I like the Nub Habano and the Cameroon. They're a bit one-dimensional, but the flavors are good. I'm not too crazy about the Connie and the Maduro though.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    im not a huge fan of them. the concept behind them is interesting but they yield relatively not complex cigars. the connie is the best though.
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Im with Kuzi, and I will also add to it and say cut it out with the short fat sticks for a little while and give me some smaller ring guage sticks d@mnit. Puro Authentico size should be the new robusto.
  • Options
    skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I've tried them, and honestly, I really can't get into them. Not my cup o' tea.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    The flavor is decent, burn solid, I just don't like the size as a cigar I would smoke frequently.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    skweekz:
    I've tried them, and honestly, I really can't get into them. Not my cup o' tea.
    Same. I would recommend trying them though. They're not bad cigars, just not what I look for in a cigar.
  • Options
    gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    Meh....
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Too big to burn properly, and they don't develop at all as they burn. Almost the exact same smoking experience when you light it, all the way through when you set it down. Not terrible, only because Oliva has access to good tobacco, in my opinion. Actually, now that I think about it, the concept goes against just about everything technical that in my opinion makes a great cigar. Balance between wrapper and filler, length, blend, etc. One note wonders are not what I smoke cigars for.
  • Options
    JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    I'm a fan. My favorites in order are the habano, maduro, and the connecticut. Believe it or not, the connecticut has a decent amount of flavor.
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    JCizzle:
    I'm a fan. My favorites in order are the habano, maduro, and the connecticut. Believe it or not, the connecticut has a decent amount of flavor.
    +1 on the connie. If you're in the mood for a mild smoke, the NUB connie is a good choice.

• Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    I had a connecticut (part of a sampler pack) a few weeks ago. Not for me, flat flavor, not memorable, didn';t "feel" right (for lack of a better term) - think i gave it a "C" in my "grade book". Burned fine, but the taste was lacking.

But that don't mean squat.
    I'm an amateur, and that's one smoke - gotta sample at least 5 to be fair I would think.
  • Options
    I would like to clarify why I like the Connie...

Flavor and consistency...
    I don't think it's a GO-TO cigar, but if you want a consistent and tasty cigar it's good... But the way it burns for a long time, but it short and manageable it's a "WORK" cigar.... Meaning, if you are doing something, or not concentrating on the smoke it's great... I smoked one today to catch up on the forums, I wasn't rating it, I wasn't concentrating but I was just enjoying a tasty smoke... That's what NUBS do... If you like the taste, get ready for a 1.5 hour smoke of that exact same taste!
  • Options
    gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    Tried a couple didnt care for em. Not a fan of the size at all anyway. The wrapper on the habano gave some nice flavor though. Nub stands are cool had to do it at least once, that was it for me.
  • Options
    BlueRingsBlueRings Posts: 367
    I'm not Nub fan due to the ring gauge. It seems contrary to were the industry is going. Lanceros, coronas, toros are where it's at. Seasoned smokers are shying away from doubles, robusto, and monster ring gauge cigars IMO. The tobacco in them is premium and well blended so you will get a good cigar. I just get lockjaw on smoking these things. I do recommend the Nub Plus as they a good cigar. However I tend to smoke Lanceros and Coronas as they are more comfortable to smoke and lean more toward my flavor profile of more wrapper and less filler.
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this is the only reason why I still smoke these darn things. To see if I can stand them up.
    Uploaded with Snapbucket (Original)
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    I have to say that the ash stand is always fun, but I like the Cain Nub Maduro 460 best.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Haven't seen a nub stand in a while, nice.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Nub Cameroon ... like it .
  • Options
    docbp87:
    Too big to burn properly, and they don't develop at all as they burn. Almost the exact same smoking experience when you light it, all the way through when you set it down. Not terrible, only because Oliva has access to good tobacco, in my opinion. Actually, now that I think about it, the concept goes against just about everything technical that in my opinion makes a great cigar. Balance between wrapper and filler, length, blend, etc. One note wonders are not what I smoke cigars for.
    pretty much this.

if was with a group of friends sitting around a fire and i wanted a cigar to ignore while smoking then i would be happy to pick one up. they are not in any way bad but there is no complexity there in any way and there is nothing to "wow" you about it.

not to re-mention the point that the large ring and short length total opposite what i tend to like in cigars. large ring gauges have a tendency to hide the most flavorful part of a cigar (the wrapper) and a shorter cigar tends to be less complex over the length of the cigar. -2 there if you ask me.
  • Options
    BlueRings:
    I'm not Nub fan due to the ring gauge. It seems contrary to were the industry is going. Lanceros, coronas, toros are where it's at. Seasoned smokers are shying away from doubles, robusto, and monster ring gauge cigars IMO. The tobacco in them is premium and well blended so you will get a good cigar. I just get lockjaw on smoking these things. I do recommend the Nub Plus as they a good cigar. However I tend to smoke Lanceros and Coronas as they are more comfortable to smoke and lean more toward my flavor profile of more wrapper and less filler.
    nope. the industry is selling more 50+ rings than ever before. many lines (MUWAT for example) dont have a single cigar UNDER 50 in them.

If im not mistaken Perdomo had a question on their status (on facebook) along the lines of "what is your favorite ring gauge?"
    about 95% were over 56. of those most were 60 and a few were "anything over 60"

all i could think was WTF?
    seriously?

this forum and a few other forums are pretty mush the only place where uber cigar nerds meet up and understand them at the level we do. I would venture to say that most of the regular posters on this forum know more then the guy who runs their local shop. the rest of the US is smoking huge ring cigars. only the nerds have love for the corona, lancero, lonesdale.
    the cigar biz is actually a business. they are making what sells: cigars over 50 ring gauge.