Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Graycliff Crystal

The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
Just got done with this stick, and I cant say I was impressed. Best part was the pre-light draw which gave vanilla notes - which was enough to convince me to light it, which I very nearly didnt do because sniffing the thing when I took the cello off, it seriously smelled like an old dog ****. LOL

Draw was a bit tight, resulting in wispy smoke. Flavor profile was a one trick pony that I cant exactly put a name to, but I didnt care for it. On the good news front this cigar lasted a LONG time - every bit of two hours for a torpedo, so if you dig the flavor you will probably be a happy camper.

I did a search of the reviews before I posted this and there was a review of the Graycliff Crystal LIMITED EDITION, but nothing on the plain ol Crystal, which brings me to the crux of this post...

This was my fourth cigar of the day, so my palette COULD have been unduly influenced (read: fried LOL). So my question is this - has anyone had this cigar before? What did you think of it? Was my impression (another Graycliff loser) accurate, or should I give it another whirl?

Thanks fellas!

Comments

• Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Never tried the regular Crystal, but the LTD is phenomenal.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I've had the regular one. I liked it. It's a good stick, but nowhere near worth the MSRP. I'd say it's about a 5-7 dollar cigar. Graycliff flavors tend to be a bit delicate, so having one as the fourth stick of the day is likely to cause you to miss a lot of the nuances, but it depends on what you smoked, and your palate. It does sound like you got a bit of a bum stick, what with the bad draw and all, but that's Graycliff. They're just not consistent. I like their blending style, but if they're serious about asking the prices they do, then they need to get much more consistent with their construction.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i think that all graycliff cigars are overpriced.
    even if you take price out of the equation, they have never produced anything that i have been impressed with. i have yet to smoke that one, but im not feeling to good about it.
  • Options
    Honestly, the Graycliff 1666 was one of the first cigars I ever smoked, and still ranks as the #1 shittiest hand rolled Ive ever had. Turned me off on Graycliff anything. Last December, I wondered if I had been too harsh and was missing some good sticks, so I bought a Graycliff sampler with a bunch of their different cigars included.

This was the first smoke of that sampler I had, with six months on it. I will still try to approach the rest of them with an open mind, but so far Graycliff as a brand is 0-2 with me.

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    The Sniper:
    Honestly, the Graycliff 1666 was one of the first cigars I ever smoked, and still ranks as the #1 shittiest hand rolled Ive ever had. Turned me off on Graycliff anything. Last December, I wondered if I had been too harsh and was missing some good sticks, so I bought a Graycliff sampler with a bunch of their different cigars included.

This was the first smoke of that sampler I had, with six months on it. I will still try to approach the rest of them with an open mind, but so far Graycliff as a brand is 0-2 with me.

See now Glen, that's just not right putting the 1666 in with the real Graycliff blends. To answer your question, I've had the Crystal numerous times and have enjoyed it each time...and for the record, I hated the 1666. So I'd say give it another shot, and if you need one with some decent time on it let me know, I'll set you up with a couple.
  • Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    alienmisprint:
    Never tried the regular Crystal, but the LTD is phenomenal.
    x2 i thought so too, havent tried the crystal
  • Options
    ndhaon91ndhaon91 Posts: 441
    It's definitely a more subtle, delicate smoke. I think there's a good chance your palate was just trashed.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Like Joe said, to be fair to the brand, you really have to separate the actual Graycliff cigars from the stuff that online retailers have bought the rights to put Graycliff bands on. Big difference. I love the Graycliff Chateau Gran Cru (Purple), and the Espresso.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Its sad to me that Graycliff would even allow these spinoff cigars. The Espresso line is excellent.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    Its sad to me that Graycliff would even allow these spinoff cigars. The Espresso line is excellent.
    Lots of brands do it, unfortunately... Padilla, Rocky, and Gurkha are probably the worst offenders, off the top of my head. Alec Bradley is up there lately too.
  • Options
    docbp87:
    Like Joe said, to be fair to the brand, you really have to separate the actual Graycliff cigars from the stuff that online retailers have bought the rights to put Graycliff bands on. Big difference. I love the Graycliff Chateau Gran Cru (Purple), and the Espresso.
    Someone elaborate please - which are "real Graycliff's" and which are "not real Graycliffs"?

• Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    The Sniper:
    docbp87:
    Someone elaborate please - which are "real Graycliff's" and which are "not real Graycliffs"?

+1! I'm quite confused now
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    ENFIDL:
    The Sniper:
    docbp87:

+1! I'm quite confused now
    Crystal, white label
    Chateau Gran Cru, purple label
    Espresso, black label
    Double Espresso, black label
    Original, red label
    Emerald, green label
    Profesionale, blue label

Those are the Bahamian made blends, and the ones to try, imho, as most of those are the ones that Avelino Lara had a hand in. Not that the other stuff is all bad, but anything else you see with their label is made by someone else. Crystal Edicion Limitado, Platinum Edicion Limitado, G2, Turbo, 1666, and 1666 double espresso. I think AJ Fernandez makes those. I may have forgot one, but I think that's all of them.
  • Options
    Thanks for the education Russ, much appreciated!

• Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    The Sniper:
    Thanks for the education Russ, much appreciated!

Yes it is! Thanks Russ!
  • Options
    docbp87:
    madurofan:
    Lots of brands do it, unfortunately... Padilla, Rocky, and Gurkha are probably the worst offenders, off the top of my head. Alec Bradley is up there lately too.
    Yea I know, but lets be honest no brand that's held to that regard does it. All those you listed are not manufacturers like Graycliff is. Rocky owns a factory now but he didn't start that way.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    docbp87:
    madurofan:
    Yea I know, but lets be honest no brand that's held to that regard does it. All those you listed are not manufacturers like Graycliff is. Rocky owns a factory now but he didn't start that way.
    I think it is a shame with Padilla, personally. Padilla, when he was working with Pepin still, put out some amazing stuff. I still think that the stuff made at Raices Cubanas is pretty good in general, but just doesn't compare to the Pepin stuff, and I don't care for any of the off brand Padilla stuff. Looking forward to the new stuff, La Terrazza and Artemis.
  • Options
    docbp87:
    madurofan:
    docbp87:
    madurofan:
    I think it is a shame with Padilla, personally. Padilla, when he was working with Pepin still, put out some amazing stuff. I still think that the stuff made at Raices Cubanas is pretty good in general, but just doesn't compare to the Pepin stuff, and I don't care for any of the off brand Padilla stuff. Looking forward to the new stuff, La Terrazza and Artemis.
    The original Padilla Miami made by Pepin was phenomenal!

Did you hear the story behind their break up? Basically Ernesto thought he was gonna open his own factory.