Home General Discussion
Options

Cubans in Antigua

Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
I'll be going on my honeymoon at the end of the month to Sandals in Antigua. A quick seach on the interwebs tells me that there is a La Casa del Habano on the island and I'm hoping to be able to make at least one trip there during my stay.

I have three questions for fellow forum members:
1) Can I trust this place implicitly? Or are there some guidelines/things I should look out for?
2) Any suggestions of what to try?
3) Anyone know what the law is on bringing some home? I heard somewhere that you can bring back one box legally, is that true?
^Troll: DO NOT FEED.

Comments

• Options
    bipbip Posts: 483
    I just went to a Casa Del Habano in qatar and was pretty disappointed with them. Make sure to check them for soft spots, splits etc. The people here didn't have the humidity set very well. You will also pay nicely for the sticks. In Qatar the cheapest stick was over $20. One that a buddy bought had a pretty hard draw and was almost worth not smoking. That's not to say that all of the Casas will be this way.
  • Options
    Yikes, thanks for the head's up. Also, thanks for pissing on my campfire, lol (j/k)
  • Options
    amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    Not sure about la casa del habano but you can not bring any cubans back legally. I'm pretty sure that techinically because of the trade embargo as an American citizen your not supposed to purchase or smoke them even abroad. There is just no way for them to enforce it.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    There's rumors floating around that you can bring back a box legally, though I'm not sure if this is an urban myth or actual fact. To be safe, you could always buy two boxes - one cuban, one nicaraguan/legal, and just put the cubans in the nicaraguan/Honduran/legal box and swap the labels on the cigars with a little vegetable glue. Might take 10 or 20 minutes and a few bucks more, but I'd say it's worth it.
  • Options
    mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    Check the customs website for import regs. Also u can check CA site for cuban specs and "go bys"
  • Options
    mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    I checked the customs site, 100 percent ban on import
  • Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wonder why its so easy to get drugs in and not cigars from cuba, jeeze
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Depending on where you go, you're allowed to bring back a certain amount of cigars. Some places it's one box, others it's two or three. Not Cubans though. I'd say if you buy at the Casa de los Habanos your chances are about as good as they're going to get for getting authentic Cubans in that part of the world.

Antigua's one of the places in the Caribbean I want to go to, but haven't yet. I think they bottle Pyrat there if I'm not mistaken.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    jj20030:
    It's pretty darn easy to get CCs in... Also, prices at the LCDH in Qatar are notably high.
  • Options
    docbp87:
    jj20030:
    It's pretty darn easy to get CCs in... Also, prices at the LCDH in Qatar are notably high.
    Doc, if you've got any experience/advice on this, can you send me a PM?
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    docbp87:
    jj20030:
    Doc, if you've got any experience/advice on this, can you send me a PM?
    I'll save the PM...

It's the butt