Home Ratings & Reviews

Cohiba Siglo IV

BStayerBStayer Posts: 318
Went to Paradise Island, Bahamas last week on business and finally had the opportunity to try an authentic Cuban. I had the stick with a glass of water and while it had good flavors, they were very mild and almost too mild for my liking.

The draw was awful. It started out tight, loosened up, and halfway through, it became very tight yet again. Little smoke output with a short finish. Also, the cigar would turn harsh very easily. I was waiting anywhere from 2 to 4 minutes between draws to keep it from getting too hot. That wouldn't be a very big deal if the finish was long enough to last between puffs. However, the finish was very short.

Like I said, the flavors were good, but the stick as a whole was not complex. There was very little change from beginning to end. And with the draw issues, I was not impressed. I paid $38 for the stick (I can chalk some of that up to being in the Bahamas on a resort) and I wouldn't pay 1/4 of that for this stick.

I guess I didn't expect there to be any construction issues or at least not any serious issues. I don't know why I thought that, most good cigars are made by hand and with that comes a chance for flaws. Just a bit of a bummer for my 1st Cuban. Maybe I had it built up too high in my mind. Either way, I'm not writing off all Cubans as that would be an almost silly generalization. But the idea of having a Cuban has tumbled from it's once proud and lofty pedestal.

Comments

• docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Probably not properly stored. CC's need to be kept at lower temperatures and relative humidities especially, than their more loosely rolled counterparts. Any idea what the box code was?
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    I wonder if some of that tight draw and harsh flavor could be blamed on tar buildup
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    The Siglo IV is a fantastic smoke...This smoke will cost you $12 - $13 retail from a legit non gouging source, too bad it was a bad experience....This stick is highly praised by many and for good reason...
  • BStayerBStayer Posts: 318
    Diamondog:
    The Siglo IV is a fantastic smoke...This smoke will cost you $12 - $13 retail from a legit non gouging source, too bad it was a bad experience....This stick is highly praised by many and for good reason...
    I figured as much and this is the response I was hoping for. I never had the chance to get out into the actual town to look around so I didn't see what normal prices would be. That will be high on my priority list for the next time I make it back.
  • VidarienVidarien Posts: 246
    One thing id say about ISOMs, and i think there are some on this forum that would concur, is that you should really try some of the less famous brands & vitolas for real quality. For example, the cohiba siglo is extreeemely well known and you get all of the baggage that goes along with it, same with the Monte #2. Perhaps you might consider trying H. Upmann Magnum 50 or a R&J Exhibition #3
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Vidarien:
    One thing id say about ISOMs, and i think there are some on this forum that would concur, is that you should really try some of the less famous brands & vitolas for real quality. For example, the cohiba siglo is extreeemely well known and you get all of the baggage that goes along with it, same with the Monte #2. Perhaps you might consider trying H. Upmann Magnum 50 or a R&J Exhibition #3
    Thank you, couldn't agree more. I'd take an Upmann, Bolivar or Partagas over Cohiba and Monte any day of any week...not that I wouldn't take a Cohiba if someone is offering. Smile [:)]
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    j0z3r:
    Vidarien:
    Thank you, couldn't agree more. I'd take an Upmann, Bolivar or Partagas over Cohiba and Monte any day of any week...not that I wouldn't take a Cohiba if someone is offering. Smile [:)]
    This is a great point. The Monte 4 is the most popular cigar in the world, and I think it also constitutes the largest production numbers out of Cuba. Also has the highest rate of problems, crappy boxes, poor draws, etc. since they have to make so many of them. Some of my favorite brands are Por Larranaga, Ramon Allones, and La Gloria Cubana... Brands that, when it comes to CCs, are much smaller productions, with only a few different cigars in each line (In fact, I think each of those marcas only currently makes 3 or 4 different cigars, as opposed to the 15 or 20 different Montecristos, or Partagas, etc.)