Home Cigar 101

Hey! ..lil help needed ..and some ? too.....

Hey all..I need a bit of help on saving some sticks i liberated from my dad they were kept in a humi..but I set it up and he never kept up with it, so now they are a bit hard and Id like to see if I can save them cause theres some good ones here..will just leaving them in a humi do it, or do I have to do anything else?...I have a wooden humidor that is his, and I use the otter box ones with the air tight seal on it. If it is a matter of just putting them in a humidor and waiting..wich one would you recomend? And..what do you guys think of the otter box humis? do ya like em? any and all help is greatly welcomed! thanks!

Comments

• StoogeeStoogee Posts: 157
    the best way is to slowly raise the humidity a little bit at a time if you put them in an environment that is to humid they are going to soak up the moisture causing the cigar to expand and crack. If you have a digital hygrometer you can start by putting it in a ziplock bag with the cigars and let it sit for 24 hours the humidity in the bag will be pretty close to the humidity the cigars are at. YOu can then safely raise the humidity about 5% above that leave for about a week or so then bump it up again another 3-5% and repeat this until the cigars are at the humidity desired.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Stoogee:
    the best way is to slowly raise the humidity a little bit at a time if you put them in an environment that is to humid they are going to soak up the moisture causing the cigar to expand and crack. If you have a digital hygrometer you can start by putting it in a ziplock bag with the cigars and let it sit for 24 hours the humidity in the bag will be pretty close to the humidity the cigars are at. YOu can then safely raise the humidity about 5% above that leave for about a week or so then bump it up again another 3-5% and repeat this until the cigars are at the humidity desired.
    Excellent advice.. If moisture can escape, it can be replaced... Cigars lose humidity slowly so they must be brought back slowly.. Remember that once you add your beads or Dampened sponge ( with 50/50 solution) leave that bag open slightly since these cigars still need air circulation.. Rotate the cigars every few days and be patient. They will never be perfect, but they should be rewarding if you put in the time and effort..