Home Cigar 101
Options

Heartfelt question

I'm thinking of ordering the heartfelt industry 4 oz tube.  The size of this 6 1/4 by 1 3/8.  It says its good to cover 2160 cubic inches.  I figured my humidor to be approximately 1000 square inches.  I guess the question is has anyone used these in the tube form?  Also does it just lay in the humidor like a cigar would? 

Comments

• Options
    rmccloudrmccloud Posts: 160 ✭✭
    I use a tube in one of my humidors and it works well. I have it set at the end of the humidor by the foot of the cigars since that space isn't being used by cigars.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    use the tube in one of mine as well. It lays beside and sometimes on top of cigars. not the easiest to add distilled water, but if you're gently the end caps come off....gentle my friend...you don't want beads everywhere.
  • Options
    rmccloudrmccloud Posts: 160 ✭✭
    bbc020:
    not the easiest to add distilled water, but if you're gently the end caps come off....gentle my friend...you don't want beads everywhere.

I use a syringe that came in a box of child's medicine and let the water go in through the holes in the tube. It seems to work pretty well without much loss of water. Plus it allows for me to easily control the amount of beads that I want to saturate based on time of the year (try to saturate more of them during the dry winter months).
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Two of my desk top humidors have these tubes in them.. They work like a champ.. Keep an eye on the humidity and add water when needed.. They always hold within two percent. Mine sits on a folded sheet of cedar( from an old cigar box ) in case a little water spills/drips after I recharge it.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Tuck: one question, have you calculated the cubic inches (volume) of your humidor (Length x Width x Height) to see how it matches with the bead coverage? Also, to answer your question, I use them in tube form and loose, they hold pretty well, but I need to really bump up the amount I use due to the more arid climate I live in.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Tuck: one question, have you calculated the cubic inches (volume) of your humidor (Length x Width x Height) to see how it matches with the bead coverage? Also, to answer your question, I use them in tube form and loose, they hold pretty well, but I need to really bump up the amount I use due to the more arid climate I live in.
    I also bump up the amount i use... Not because of my climate but because i wanna refill them less often.
  • Options
    TumblerTumbler Posts: 338 ✭✭
    I have the smaller tubes and the larger one you mentioned. I have noticed my cigars, that are around the tubes, get a little excess humidity. I use the boxes of beads under the lid, and then the tubes lower in my humidor. I just recharge the boxes of beads. Heavier moist air falls and is absorbed by the tubes - keeping the humidity constant. It's my story and I am sticking with it.
  • Options
    I just got my heartfelt tube and hygrometer. I'm pretty stoked to not be using the little foam puck, but I just wanted some guidance on how to use it. Also, I've just found that my humidity level of my small humidor had dropped to 40 percent. I'm wondering if that's going to ruin my cigars or if I can just reintroduce humidity into them.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    bangalohr:
    Also, I've just found that my humidity level of my small humidor had dropped to 40 percent. I'm wondering if that's going to ruin my cigars or if I can just reintroduce humidity into them.
    If they haven't been at 40 for too long, then there should hopefully not be any lasting damage. The best course of action to follow would be to slowly raise your humidity and then keep them at a stable 65-70, whatever you preference, for a few months. That should hopefully restore them to the good condition they were in.
  • Options
    Excellent. They're not premium cigars, but my girlfriend bought them for me for christmas. She'd be dissapointed if I had to throw them out. She also bought me a personalized 20 stick humidor for christmas and I didn't have a hygrometer. I thought my humidity was ok, but apparently I was wrong. Hopefully the Heartfelt beads I bought will do me right.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hey Bangalohr... in Arizona that hygrometer will come in handy, welcome to the group. Nice girl you got there too..
  • Options
    I appreciate all the help.  I will be picking up shortly. 
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a tube of the Heartfelt beads in my desktop humi and a 1/2 lb. bag of them in my coolidor.  Both work excellently (is that a word?)

Only difference is, I don't add the distilled water to the beads.  I spray the humidifier in my desktop with DW and place a small bowl of it in the coolidor.  Then, I let the beads do what they're supposed to do - - take in moisture or release moisture as the situation calls for.  I'm happy with ther way that works.

Marty