Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Rock and Roll concerts

beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
This is a selection from my ticket stub collection. Its not complete and doesn't include any jazz or any of the numerous major rock acts I've seen at the the N.O. Jazz Fest (Simon and Garfunkel and others).

I was thinking about why we keep ticket stubs, so I'll show them off (share) to you.
I wonder if Ozzie has kept all of his Ozzie and Black Sabbath stubs? That would be a collection of its' own. Enjoy

Comments

• Options
    SmokySuitSmokySuit Posts: 429
    Johnny Winter, Stray Cats, Dylan...some gooooooood stuff!!!!
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Saw that Stray Cats one as well, very nice!
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    PAT METHENY!!!

• Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1973 in school a friends brother got a folder (yellow) that was kinda like the material that was made of for led zeppelin at the houston colisuem, he made 2 and just used a black ink pen to make a couple from a guy that had some real ones, went to the concert with his girlfriend and the ticket guy didnt even look just tore them and boom they were in,lol
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    frank zappa.... nice
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    How is Satch live? Always wanted to get to one of his shows...
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    I have been to many concerts but unfortunately I am not a good collector other than movies, music and cigars....here's one stub I do have...

• Options
    Ken Light:
    How is Satch live? Always wanted to get to one of his shows...
    Truly awesome. That Ibanez, those pedals, his fingers. I think I saw sparks flying.
  • Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    Man, that is a WIDE variety of acts! I was thinking about ticket stubs and realize that a lot of younger folks have probably never really had ticket stubs. I think I've dowloaded and printed most of my tickets for the past few years - no point in saving those things!

I'll have to find some of my old Dead ticket stubs. Whenever you did mail order for them, you got the really decorative tickets, whereas if you just went through ticketmaster or whatever colesium they were playing, they were plain-jane tix.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I wish I had kept all of mine, the only one I still have is the Rolling Stones from 1975
  • Options
    fla-gypsy:
    I wish I had kept all of mine, the only one I still have is the Rolling Stones from 1975
    One of my major regrets in life. Not buying those tickets.
  • Options
    Hi, I'm Rusty Banks, Content Director of Stubstory.com and I found your post online today. I was curious about the possibly of integrating some of your ticket stubs and the stories behind them into what we are doing.

Would you take a look at www.stubstory.com and see if you'd care to share some stories?

When you have a second - can you shoot me an email to talk about whether you have an interest in having your stories appear on Stubstory.

I'm looking forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks

Rusty Banks
    ----------------
  • Options
    MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    stubstory:
    Hi, I'm Rusty Banks, Content Director of Stubstory.com and I found your post online today. I was curious about the possibly of integrating some of your ticket stubs and the stories behind them into what we are doing. Would you take a look at www.stubstory.com and see if you'd care to share some stories? When you have a second - can you shoot me an email to talk about whether you have an interest in having your stories appear on Stubstory. I'm looking forward to hearing back from you. Thanks Rusty Banks ----------------
    If he said 'Nubstory' he would have a lot more emails about now.

Marker.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    stubstory:
    Hi, I'm Rusty Banks, Content Director of Stubstory.com and I found your post online today. I was curious about the possibly of integrating some of your ticket stubs and the stories behind them into what we are doing. Would you take a look at www.stubstory.com and see if you'd care to share some stories? When you have a second - can you shoot me an email to talk about whether you have an interest in having your stories appear on Stubstory. I'm looking forward to hearing back from you. Thanks Rusty Banks ----------------
    Hey Beatnic I think you got a message from the casting couch... LOL

• Options
    Jeez. I just save them for my own memories. These guys take it to a whole different level. I'll think about it Rusty.
    Man, some of the best stories I have might get me into trouble. LOL.
  • Options
    MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    A Metallica concert when I was 14 would have legal implications.

Marker.
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    jj20030:
    1973 in school a friends brother got a folder (yellow) that was kinda like the material that was made of for led zeppelin at the houston colisuem, he made 2 and just used a black ink pen to make a couple from a guy that had some real ones, went to the concert with his girlfriend and the ticket guy didnt even look just tore them and boom they were in,lol
    Too cool
  • Options
    Hey Beatnic, you gonna call him? Sounds pretty cool,checked out the website ..Not sure how much interest people have in reading about other folks concert experiences.. one of the wildest concerts Ive been to was Motley Crew, carnival of sins tour,,And it sure was
  • Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    best concert i ever went to was at hofeinze pavillion in houston in the late 70's, king crimsom, robin trower and edgar winter and i was on the 2nd row, you should seen the joints being thrown up on stage while we were tokin our azzes off , good times , lol , saw led zeppelin at that concert i was talking about on the front row and jimmy page had a fith of jack daniels sitting on stage he was chugging out of , and another time bruce springsteen and clarence clemmons came off stage into the audieance playing his sax , loved the j. geils band too
  • Options
    jj20030:
    best concert i ever went to was at hofeinze pavillion in houston in the late 70's, king crimsom, robin trower and edgar winter and i was on the 2nd row, you should seen the joints being thrown up on stage while we were tokin our azzes off , good times , lol , saw led zeppelin at that concert i was talking about on the front row and jimmy page had a fith of jack daniels sitting on stage he was chugging out of
    Fuckn awesome,, Unfortunately John Bonham passed away before I was able to see Led Zeppelin, my older brother went to their concert in the 70's brought home a huge kick ass poster. I grew to become a Led Zeppelin fanatic. I saw Jimmy and Robert a few times, once together. The most memorable concert I ever went to was the ARMS in SF at the Cow Palace. front row seats. A friend had connections to Billy Graham. Anyway, if your not familiar with that tour it had some greats, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Andy Fairweather-Low, Bill Wyman, Phil Collins, Ray Cooper, Joe Cocker and a bunch more. Actually It was so awesome I went to 2 out of the three nights. Had to pick up a ticket for gen admission from a scalper the 2nd night.
  • Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    Wishbone Ash!!
    Nice!!
    Saw them a few times in the early/mid 70s before they turned "soft" - my memory is a bit "foggy" - but I think I saw them once as the opening act for Deep Purple, in SoCal, '73 or '74.
    Wish I had saved all my stubs - I never bothered for some dumb reason.

Best show - musically - Santana at Shoreline, fall 2003 - he was on fire. But the funniest bit was just before he starts to play, he's doing his usual rambling/talking, and he says (quite loudly):
    "Do we have any Latinos in the house!"
    A huge roar goes up in the stadium.
    When the roar subsides, he says, equally loudly:
    "Why the fu@k didn't you guys vote!"

Then he immediately starts the first song.

80% of the people there didn't get it - he was pissed because Arnold was elected Govenor of Calif. - I was laughing my a$$ off.

I saw all the big acts of the 60s and 70s - saw Led Zep in their last official concert at the Day on the Green - sound system SUCKED!! - they were always hit and miss live in my opinion (saw them 7 times) - and I'm a huge Zep fan - but the sound systems in those days for outdoor shows were often not up to the task.

The Grateful Dead figured out and solved that problem. I'm not a Deadhead per se - I have seen them 30+ times (largely because my friends brother used to work for Grateful Dead Productions = free tickets, and back stage passes.)
    But when they were "on" - they were the best live band, hands down, of any I've seen. Not surpsiing considering how much they toured, etc..
    The best thing about the Dead, is you could see them three nights in a row at some venue, 3+ hours shows, and not hear the same song twice - not many bands can do that, especially today.

Oops almost forgot, loudest concert you ask? - ZZ TOP, 1975 at the Cow Palace - my ears are still ringing......

• Options
    KingoftheCove:
    Wishbone Ash!!
    Nice!!
    Saw them a few times in the early/mid 70s before they turned "soft" - my memory is a bit "foggy" - but I think I saw them once as the opening act for Deep Purple, in SoCal, '73 or '74.
    Wish I had saved all my stubs - I never bothered for some dumb reason.

Best show - musically - Santana at Shoreline, fall 2003 - he was on fire. But the funniest bit was just before he starts to play, he's doing his usual rambling/talking, and he says (quite loudly):
    "Do we have any Latinos in the house!"
    A huge roar goes up in the stadium.
    When the roar subsides, he says, equally loudly:
    "Why the fu@k didn't you guys vote!"

Then he immediately starts the first song.

80% of the people there didn't get it - he was pissed because Arnold was elected Govenor of Calif. - I was laughing my a$$ off.

I saw all the big acts of the 60s and 70s - saw Led Zep in their last official concert at the Day on the Green - sound system SUCKED!! - they were always hit and miss live in my opinion (saw them 7 times) - and I'm a huge Zep fan - but the sound systems in those days for outdoor shows were often not up to the task.

The Grateful Dead figured out and solved that problem. I'm not a Deadhead per se - I have seen them 30+ times (largely because my friends brother used to work for Grateful Dead Productions = free tickets, and back stage passes.)
    But when they were "on" - they were the best live band, hands down, of any I've seen. Not surpsiing considering how much they toured, etc..
    The best thing about the Dead, is you could see them three nights in a row at some venue, 3+ hours shows, and not hear the same song twice - not many bands can do that, especially today.

Oops almost forgot, loudest concert you ask? - ZZ TOP, 1975 at the Cow Palace - my ears are still ringing......

I saw The Dead once, good concert. didnt make it to any Day on the Greens.. Been to the shorline a few times. pretty sure last time I saw Steve Miller (Another kick ass Amphitheatre is The Gorge here in Washington, there I've seen Kiss, Ted Nugent, Black Crowes & Tom Petty
  • Options
    The Black Crowes - forgot!!!!!
    They are right up there with the Dead as far as awesome live bands.
    Seen them a bunch of times.

One big bummer though was, about 6 or 7 years ago, they were supposed to play in Santa Cruz at the Catalyst!!! Crazy small venue for the Crowes!
    I got 4 tickets, and table upstairs for wife and two friends.....STOKED!!!!!!

Ooops - sorry - power failure (stormy weather) - Catalyst has no back up - fans are begging for acoustic sets (we'll be quiet - we promise!!!!!) - no go - refund with promise that Balck Crowes will come back at a later date- they never came back.......bummer!

• Options
    KingoftheCove:
    The Black Crowes - forgot!!!!!
    They are right up there with the Dead as far as awesome live bands.
    Seen them a bunch of times.

One big bummer though was, about 6 or 7 years ago, they were supposed to play in Santa Cruz at the Catalyst!!! Crazy small venue for the Crowes!
    I got 4 tickets, and table upstairs for wife and two friends.....STOKED!!!!!!

Ooops - sorry - power failure (stormy weather) - Catalyst has no back up - fans are begging for acoustic sets (we'll be quiet - we promise!!!!!) - no go - refund with promise that Balck Crowes will come back at a later date- they never came back.......bummer!

Total.. That would of been cool if they went for it. I really love the smaller venues, Intimate setting. Seen Whitesnake, Pat Travers, Paul Rogers and Gamma (Ronnie Montrose, Davey Pattison) at some very small venues, Loved them all!!! I actually talked to Mr. Travers after the show, shook his hand and got his autograph.
  • Options
    Pat Travers - awesome live too - saw him when he had Pat Thrall in the band (Thrall was under-rated)
    One band that Thrall was in, that died too quick, that I really liked, was "Automatic Man" - a bit ahead of their time, and the genre didn't have a large enough following - but they were awesome.

• Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nce I never thought of saving my stubs growing up don't remember most but of the ones I do my favorite was Stevie Ray Vaugn saw him twice man could he play a guitar.
  • Options
    Rhamlin:
    Nce I never thought of saving my stubs growing up don't remember most but of the ones I do my favorite was Stevie Ray Vaugn saw him twice man could he play a guitar.
    Yes he could!!!!Awesome! I saw the Fabulous Thunderbirds and Stevie made a guest appearance. I can listen to him play lil wing over and over again.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Come to think of it one of the shows I saw him at was when he was touring with his brothers band the fabulous thunderbirds they rocked to.