Home Ratings & Reviews

Pinar Del Rio... Worth it?

I keep noticing different deals on the Pinar Del Rio and they look nice ( superficial I know) but I was just wondering what people thought of them? Any particular ones that are must try or any I should steer clear of? I might jump on some and give them a shot sometime. What say you?

Comments

• The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    PM to you.
  • Back at you bro
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    If you can find the PDR 1878s try those pretty good stuff.

• ndhaon91ndhaon91 Posts: 441
    Considering they can be had for under $2 a stick, I think they are definitely worth it. They aren't going to blow you away, but they aren't cheap yard gars either.

I personally think the Sun Grown is the best, followed by the Oscuro. The Classic is solid for a cheap Connie. The Seleccion has been a little hit or miss for me. They have been moments when I've wowed, and other times I get almost no real flavor.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    The Habano Sungrown is my favorite as well. Love it in the Lancero format, both new and old blend. The Oscuro is great in the new blend. The 1878's are good too in my experience. Like nhaon91 said, the Seleccion is hit or miss. I've had great ones, and I've had some that were a total mess.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    docbp87:
    The Habano Sungrown is my favorite as well. Love it in the Lancero format, both new and old blend. The Oscuro is great in the new blend. The 1878's are good too in my experience. Like nhaon91 said, the Seleccion is hit or miss. I've had great ones, and I've had some that were a total mess.
    I've actually had the habano sugrown lancero as well and was impressed. It didn't wow me, but I enjoyed it, and was most impressd with the construction of the thing. I have an oscurro that I got in a bomb from shotgunjohn that I'm really lookng forward to.
  • Thanks for the input guys. Going to have to give them a try.
    Word of advice, from personal experience... The reason that the Oscuro blend was changed in the last year or two is that the old blend just did not ignite. The wrapper for some reason... WOULD... NOT... BURN! So while the old blend Oscuros taste great, and can be had at like 3 bucks a stick or whatever, they need MAD dryboxing before they will smoke well.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    docbp87:
    Word of advice, from personal experience... The reason that the Oscuro blend was changed in the last year or two is that the old blend just did not ignite. The wrapper for some reason... WOULD... NOT... BURN! So while the old blend Oscuros taste great, and can be had at like 3 bucks a stick or whatever, they need MAD dryboxing before they will smoke well.
    I've experienced the same thing. With a ton of dryboxing (like a week or more!) I've had some tasty old oscuro blends. The sungrown blends are fantastic, too.
    docbp87:

How do I know if I'm dealing with the old or new blend? Is everything with the older, more traditional label by default the "old blend?"
    ndhaon91:
    docbp87:
    How do I know if I'm dealing with the old or new blend? Is everything with the older, more traditional label by default the "old blend?"
    New blend has a second band, plus a ribbon on the foot. Old blend simply has the one band.
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    I actually want to try the new Obsidian it looks tasty.
    ShotgunJohn:
    Not a PdR cigar I don't think. Made at Tabacalera Don Leoncio, but is just another online only brand, owned by CI/CCom: Trademark info for Obsidian
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    So I feel fairly comfortable talking about a few PDR blends. The Oscuro is a pretty solid stogie and very reasonably priced. I have only smoked the old blend (the one without the foot ribbon) but as mentioned above it does have some burn issues but not too bad. The Selecion (which has that nice PA Broadleaf wrapper) has also been hit or miss with me. The 1878 line is very nice though. The Capa Madura is very good and the Reserva Dominicana is my absolute favorite stogie right now. Sooooo good.
  • Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i just got a box of the new blend oscuro. It is kinda 1 demensional, but i do enjoy that 1 demension quite a bit.
  • dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I don't care for them at all. I've had the Sungrown, Classico, and Oscuro...all of which laid in my largest humi at a constant 69% for just over 2 months. I had high hopes after reading all the positive reviews but they just didn't deliver for me.

That being said, don't let a bunch of negative press sway you against trying a cigar...you could find your new favorite is someone else's dog-stick!

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
    Poker Slob:
    i just got a box of the new blend oscuro. It is kinda 1 demensional, but i do enjoy that 1 demension quite a bit.

I just finished one of these in the toro size on my long drive home. I find it to be a very tasty cigar. Agreed that it's perhaps one-dimensional, but like you said, it's a pleasant one dimension!
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    docbp87:
    ShotgunJohn:
    Not a PdR cigar I don't think. Made at Tabacalera Don Leoncio, but is just another online only brand, owned by CI/CCom: Trademark info for Obsidian

It looks like it is from the makers of PDR so they are making it for CI/CCOM. Thanks for the trademark info.
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    Oh and the 2010 BOTL Limited by PDR is absolutely awesome.