Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Lighter reviews

madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
The Looking for a New Lighter thread inspired me to start this thread. We've all discussed our lighters here and there but I wanted to start this as a real review thread for them. This is not your "I have a Colibri and I love it" thread, this is a detailed review. Try to be objective but let us know what you think of your lighter. Also please don't include any you tried once. Stick to your lighter that you've had for a while. In most people's mind consistency and durability are important features almost every lighter works great for a few weeks.

I decided to break out two of my old backup lighters. A colibri talon and a Cigar Savor that came in the Montecristo Anniversario pack.

I think I paid $10 for the colibri when they went out of business a while back. Its probably been a year since I've used it because the torch flame wasn't strong anymore and I figured it was crapping out. I cleaned it by spraying some butane down into the Jet and refilled it, as soon as it warmed it it was firing on the first or second click each time and seemed strong.
I like the way this one feels in my hand and the flame adjustment is large and easy to use.
My only complaint about it before the flame got weak was that the tank is huge but once its about half way empty it acts like it is completely empty, no gas comes out or its real weak. So you have to bleed half a tank of butane out every time it gets low.

The Cigar Savor was essentially free as my Dad bought the Montecristo sampler at a monte event that came with the cutter and lighter and the rep gave him two more of the lighter because he said the batch of lighters in the sampler had issues but the ones he gave him did not. Anyway my dad gave me one of the "good" ones, it's kind of like a Xikar Executive but not as curvy. It has a built in punch which works well.
Honestly the flame on this one is probably the most powerful and consistent of the 3 lighters I have its tight and is really windproof.
The only complaint I have on it is that it usually takes two or 3 clicks to fire and it just looks cheap. The rubberized paint chips off very easily. It also is extremely difficult to adjust the flame, the adjust ment ring is plastic and right around the refill nipple. I've used this one the least but it has been used for at least 20 or so cigars and I've had it for around 2 years. I'm using it as we speak on an Alec Braadley Family Blend. I used the punch and the lighter after a little cleaning and refill.

Finally is my everyday lighter. Its a Xikar Genesis in gunmetal.
I originally had a Xikar Plunge but after sending it back 3 times in 6 months they sent me the genesis as a replacement. The Plunge in my experience was terrible I hated the flip up top because the flame at full blast was barely above it so I was constantly hitting the cigar with it and ash and debris would fall down in the jet meaning I had to clean it out with compressed air and butane everytime I refilled. Also the butane tank was tiny.
Back to the Genesis, its been pretty good. If I keep the jet clean it works well but when the jet gets dirty it renders it damn near useless. The flame is good not as pinpoint as the Cigar Savor but strong enough for anything strong of stron wind.
How far you have to slide the button to ignite it is a little uncomfortable but not enough so that I would recommend against it. My only real beef is that you pretty much have to have it on full blast for it to ignite.
It is on the small side for a lighter and would feel small if you have big hands but I personally don't and I'm fine with the size.
The finish is tough to call. With in a couple of weeks the clearcoat over the gunmetal had completely wore off but to me the patina that results in the gunmetal is beautiful, it makes it look antique. But if you want your lighter to remain shiny and beautiful I'd recommend against the gunmetal.

I hope this helps anyone in the market for a lighter and look forward to reading about yours.

Comments

• Options
    Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    I am a huge fan of the prometheus travel lighter. It works well, has been reliable and dependable. What I like best is you can buy extra gas tanks which are refillable. So I can grab my lighter and hit the roan. When it is empty, i just switch out the tank. This is ideal for me with my travel as I cant fly with butane and finding butane where ever I go is a pain. I found it to work great too as 90% of lighter malfunctions occur with the gasket and fuel device. If the lighter brakes, 90% of the time it is just the fuel tank which at $10 a pop and I can just get a new one. Colibri put out a similar model last year but the tanks are not refillable and you have to keep buying new tanks prefilled.
  • Options
    Thanks for the review Alex. I've often wondered about that lighter, as I travel a ton too. Aside from price I've never heard a bad thing about Prometheus. I figured you like most guys "in the industry" would be carrying a Du Pont. Glad to see an insider carries an everyman's lighter.

No issues getting it through the airport? do you have to check the fuel tank?
  • Options
    wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    BIC!!!!
    The first real cigar lighter I bought was a cheap CI one and it was terribad so I've been waiting to buy the perfect lighter and doing research on them for ove a year now. but for now the bic works great as long as you stay out of the wind, sometimes easier said than done in oklahoma.
  • Options
    MperconteMperconte Posts: 367
    Alex Svenson:
    I am a huge fan of the prometheus travel lighter. It works well, has been reliable and dependable. What I like best is you can buy extra gas tanks which are refillable. So I can grab my lighter and hit the roan. When it is empty, i just switch out the tank. This is ideal for me with my travel as I cant fly with butane and finding butane where ever I go is a pain. I found it to work great too as 90% of lighter malfunctions occur with the gasket and fuel device. If the lighter brakes, 90% of the time it is just the fuel tank which at $10 a pop and I can just get a new one. Colibri put out a similar model last year but the tanks are not refillable and you have to keep buying new tanks prefilled.
    Alex, all sold out on the site.

I have the Xikar Executive Lighter - Gun Metal, it works but its an ongoing pissing contest. I have to keep adjusting the flame size in order for it to work correctly. It could be me but who knows. I need to upgrade from the $20 lighter.

I also have the Colibri Grip Man O' War Ruination Cutter, now this is a POS! It's not really sharpe enough, It pinches more then cuts; which has created some small problems.
    Bluerings mentioned the Cuban Crafters Perfecto so going to have to give that a try.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    wwestern:
    BIC!!!!
    The first real cigar lighter I bought was a cheap CI one and it was terribad so I've been waiting to buy the perfect lighter and doing research on them for ove a year now. but for now the bic works great as long as you stay out of the wind, sometimes easier said than done in oklahoma.
    Dude, if you want a great cigar lighter that costs no more than 3$... RONSON JETLITE MOTHAFUKKKKAAAA.
  • Options
    VidarienVidarien Posts: 246
    I use a xikar exodus and have never been happier. The reason i use it primarily is because i hate torches, and the exodus is one of the only soft flame butane lighters out there. Something i love about using a soft flame to light / touch-up a cigar, doesnt feel as harsh as throwing a jet at it, less charring on the initial quarter inch too if you're careful about it (I grant you can be just as careful with a torch too if you're good at it).
  • Options
    Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    Thanks for the review Alex. I've often wondered about that lighter, as I travel a ton too. Aside from price I've never heard a bad thing about Prometheus. I figured you like most guys "in the industry" would be carrying a Du Pont. Glad to see an insider carries an everyman's lighter.

No issues getting it through the airport? do you have to check the fuel tank?
    Duponts and davidoffs are pricey and I lose way to much crap out of my pockets when I sit down and stand up. For the traveler as with any butane lighter, it must go in checked bags. I travel with the lighter full and two backup tanks. I see we are sold out. I will get with Prometheus on these.
  • Options
    docbp87:
    wwestern:
    BIC!!!!
    Dude, if you want a great cigar lighter that costs no more than 3$... RONSON JETLITE MOTHAFUKKKKAAAA.
    Not so much the price just finding the one I don't mind sinking 50-100 bucks on. Cause if I spend that much on a POS I'm gonna be pissed.
  • Options
    Anyone have much experience with table lighters?
  • Options
    amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    wwestern:
    Anyone have much experience with table lighters?
    Got a Vector Deux in the man cave that I use about 95% of the time. I like the versatility of having a torch and a soft flame. I've had it for about year and a half with no issues. I also have a Thundra I keep in my golf bag that I haven't had any problems with. I'm using Vector Quintuple fuel in both.
  • Options
    bump

come on guys ...
  • Options
    I use a Visol Trio Triple Torch Flame. It was about $50 or so, but it's become my favorite lighter. The tank is big, the flame is strong, and there's a cigar punch on the bottom of it. I start out with the flame on one of the lowest settings so that I don't waste too much fuel. If I put it on the highest setting after a refill, the flame is over 6 inches high. As the tank empties, I adjust the flame a little bit. I've had it for almost a year and a half and it works like a champ - even in the strong San Francisco wind.
  • Options
    I have a Blazer PB207, Thundra, and Xikar Nautilus. Never had any problems with any of them, but use the Blazer and Thundra the most. Prior to purchasing the Nautilus, I thought it was an all metal or aluminum body, but only the top portion is. The actual body of the lighter is plastic which I'm not a fan of because I was hoping it would be more weighted in my hand. However, I have never had a problem with it so I can't complain about functionality of it.
  • Options
    kaelariakaelaria Posts: 572
    I have a bunch of lighter review vids on the site - I settled on the Xikars a while ago and still love them!