Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Viaje 50/50 WLP Criollo Wrapper Round#2

Viaje WLP 50/50 Criollo Wrapper Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Preflight
Dark brown silky smooth wrapper 6x48 pig tail with a shaggy foot. Very heavy and dense seems over humidified and needs dry boxing.

First third
Plugged but burning flawlessly have to wait for the third/fourth draw for any smoke. Very little smoke output but from what I can taste this is ahead of it's class. It starts with criollo wrapper from the foot with a twang and heavy cedar flavors some hickory almost a campfire smell. Starts to loosen up but still to difficult a draw.

Second third
  It takes on a stronger scent and bite. 50/50 is based on a medium strength in the first half and full strength in the second with a very smooth transition. Leather, Cedar, Nut, and Dark Chocolate. I wish there was more but my impatience overwhelmed me. At least I can tell there is a hidden essence of well fermented tobacco and the smell is intoxicating.

Final third
This is a full and I mean full flavored cigar. It coats the tongue and has what seems is a very long chewy finish. A strong bite with a numbing sensation on the lips and tongue. Flavor profile doesn't change but intensifies. Nicotine buzz in full effect. This is not a morning cigar but an after a 28oz Porterhouse cooked over a fruit wood fire with all the fixings and a full bodied stout, dessert, and after dinner cordial.

Final thoughts
No way to overcome an over  humidified cigar except for dry boxing after shipment. I was really excited to smoke this stick and I'm not disappointed. I just know what I have in store when they are ready. Viaje only manufactures these twice a year and only two hundred bundles. It's like any other project of an obsessed man. Take the best and make the best accept no substitutions.

Comments

• Options
    BlueRingsBlueRings Posts: 367
    Round #2

Back again to update my report on these things. The flavors I missed on the first half was a hoppy note similar to a wheat flavor beer. The criollo does come through more this time as I am getting a ton more smoke. The perfect draw. The funny thing is the burn had gone a bit wavy. The flavors are full and the strength is almost a strong full but not so that you can retrohale 80%. The ending became extra stength. This is a bold flavor cigar. This has gone through several stages of fermentation. Which lends to a bold flavor without harshness. I would venture to say the biggest difference in this cigar versus other full strength cigars is the number of fermentation processes it goes through. This is something aging cannot accomplish only fermentation. Aging will benefit these cigars so I plan to give them until Christmas before I touch them again. It will be hard as the aroma and taste will be hard to forsake for so long. If you score a few, which I suggest you do, you will come to appreciate the level of dedication Andre Farkas puts to his product.
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't wait to try mine. Nice review.
  • Options
    t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    Managed to pick up a couple of these yesterday. Can't wait to give one a try.