Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

What two ISOM's?

gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
The Cohiba Siglo IV thread got me wondering-if you could recommend two Cuban cigars, which two would they be? I am traveling to Vancouver BC tomorrow and will have time for maybe two locally purchased sticks (going with the wife on an anniversary trip). I RARELY get the chance to smoke ISOM's and want to make the most of this! I like medium to full-pretty much any vitola. Price is not a huge issue. Thanks in advance for the recommendations.

Comments

• Options
    mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    Well, there so many good ones, but I like the Montecristo #2 and the Romeo Y Juilietta tubos(sp-cant figure out how to turn the auto correct off)
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Partagas Series P #2, Partagas Series D #4 are my two favorite ISOMs, both very solid smokes.
  • Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Cohiba Maduro 5 Genios and get yourself a Bolivar Regional Edition...
  • Options
    klgoldmanklgoldman Posts: 176
    Trinidad Robusto T
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    If you like medium-full non-Cubans, and want similar body from Cubans, you don't have a lot of options. PSDn4, RyJ Cazadores, Bolivar Belicosos Finos, or like DD said, try the Boli RE. Be prepared to pay way more than you would from the vendors most of us use in America. Prices on cigars in Canada are outrageous.
  • Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    I've had incredibly bad luck when it comes to ISOM's I've had 3 and all have been plugged / impossible to draw off of, only one's I've been able to actually smoke and enjoy were the Monti minis that Wayne sent me god knows how far back, still tempted to buy just hesitant
  • Options
    I think the biggest mistake people make with ISOMs that results in a bad draw is storing them at the same RH% that they store NCs. NCs are generally packed less fully, and the swelling that occurs as a result of higher humidity (70% or whatever), isn't an issue. CCs should be kept below 65%, like min the 62-63% range, for a good draw.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    If you do make it to Van. you may find the prices keep you to just smoking one ISOM or maybe none at all. The sticks already mentioned are all great sticks... but be prepared to pay more then $30 for any of the ones mentioned.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the great advice guys-I've made a list of your recommendations. I'll let you know how it goes-should be interesting if nothing else! I'll take along a Padron 1964 Anni and a Oliva Serie V just in case...
  • Options
    MephistoMephisto Posts: 508
    If price isn't an issue then the Trinidad limited 2010s are fantastic. For Romeo y Julieta the churchill and short churchill are two of my favorites.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Partagas "p" and Trinidad. I'm in love with the P's!
  • Options
    SmokySuitSmokySuit Posts: 429
    Hands down I would say H, Upmann Limited 2009 and R&J Short Churchill
  • Options
    Smoking a Trinidad Reyes from late 09 right now while jamming to Sleep's "Dopesmoker" and I must throw in a vote for it. These have been awesome, every single stick from this box has been the bomb.
  • Options
    Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a box from '11... I will give them at least a year of rest before dipping into them. Tonight I had a Sancho Panza from '08 that was nice and smooth.
  • Options
    Made it back safe and sound after wading our way through the hockey riots in Vancouver. The "action" took place right outside our hotel. We actually had a great time on the trip! Unfortunately, not a lot of cigar smoking was done...Vancouver (at least the parts we saw, mostly downtown) has got to be the least "smoked in" place I've ever been. Smoking is not allowed in any establishments, and most bars/restaurants did not have patios-must be the cool, wet climate. Also, I saw virtually NOBODY smoking ANYTHING!! Yes, this includes weed as well. A few cigarette smokers here and there-did not see ONE cigar being consumed. That being said, I did manage to sneak in a RYJ Tubo while we walked down by the water front. I didn't think it was anything special, but perhaps it was the envronment rather than an inferior stick. Other than that, I burned a Particulares I brought with me (that was excellent). I guess I will have to hope to next visit a place where ISOM's and a smoking culture come together.
  • Options
    dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've smoked cigars occasionally for many years, and became passionate about them in the past year. I have had some really great smokes, but I've never had an ISOM. Are they as good as everyone says...am I missing out on that perfect smoking experience?

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb