Home Non Cigar Related
Options

So Duke Nukem - Tanks....What a disapointment

Comments

• Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Wow . . . just wow. After so much hype and such high expectations for the return of the king, the game got RIPPED by almost every reviewer out there, regardless of platform: http://www.metacritic.com/search/all/duke+nukem/results
  • Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    I think the game is awesome, but the 12 year wait there is no way to ever live up to expectations. The game is full of great one-liners and awesome commentary, still though there is no way that 3D Realms and Gearbox could ever put out what everyone wanted.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I've never thought any of the Duke games have ever been that great. They had some cool features, and were fun and all, but I never thought they were amazing, or groundbreaking. Certainly not classics. I know the fondness I have for them is more nostalgia than anything substantive. I was planning on waiting a year or two to get this one when it's dirt cheap. Maybe that'll be sooner.

This new one isn't made by the same folks that made the earlier ones is it?
  • Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    Russ55:
    I've never thought any of the Duke games have ever been that great. They had some cool features, and were fun and all, but I never thought they were amazing, or groundbreaking. Certainly not classics. I know the fondness I have for them is more nostalgia than anything. I was planning on waiting a year or two to get this one when it's dirt cheap. Maybe that'll be sooner.

3D Realms still owns the name but through out the years, they (3D Realms people) re-grouped and formed another group who's name slips my mind and they worked out of a dude's house to complete this game, then 2K Games and Gearbox came in for publishing and polishing.
  • Options
    djbeeniedjbeenie Posts: 469
    Russ55:
    GearBox did this version of the game. I think the biggest disappointment was how many weapons you can carry and they tried to make it like all new FPS's (energy Regen). They should have stuck with how Duke game play was intended.
  • Options
    ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    Really sad this game failed, my father bought it early on Steam and is now trying to get his money back.
    I had big hopes, but now I am waiting for HL2 Ep3 damn it has already been 4 years since EP2 come on Valve.
  • Options
    djbeeniedjbeenie Posts: 469
    I think I will play it, but no way am I spending 60 bucks on it. Ill wait until it comes out in the $20 bin.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    djbeenie:
    I think I will play it, but no way am I spending 60 bucks on it. Ill wait until it comes out in the $20 bin.
    10 bucks on a steam sale weekend! Big Smile [:D]
  • Options
    skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    After what 2K did to Mafia 2, I didn't have high expectations for the new DN
  • Options
    ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    skweekz:
    I thought Mafia 2 was rather good except it wasn't a sandbox. The DLC for Mafia 2 Sucked.
  • Options
    skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    ShotgunJohn:
    skweekz:
    I thought Mafia 2 was rather good except it wasn't a sandbox. The DLC for Mafia 2 Sucked.

I liked it. The story line was pretty cool. But everything that was cut out of it from what was "promised" from the developers prior to the release ended up being a giant slap in the face to the consumer. I remember following the game on the official 2K forums, and it got pretty wild with guys voicing their opinions and being very discontent.