Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Grieving New Mexico safety hauled off plane, booked for baggy pants

jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
image The Transportation Security Administration identifies many, many official threats to our skies, from contact lens solution to gel shoe inserts to throwing stars. Even in the wake of the "Underwear Bomber," though, boxer shorts have been considered generally safe — unless, that is, as New Mexico safety Deshon Marman discovered Wednesday at San Francisco International Airport, airline personnel can see a little bit too much of them: On Wednesday, San Francisco police got a call about 9 a.m. that someone was exposing himself outside a US Airways gate, Sgt. Michael Rodriguez said. An airline employee spotted Marman before he boarded Flight 488, bound for Albuquerque, and complained that Marman's pants "were below his buttocks but above the knees, and that much of his boxer shorts were exposed," Rodriguez said.The employee asked Marman to pull up his pants before he boarded the plane, but he refused, Rodriguez said. Marman allegedly repeated his refusal after taking his seat on the plane."At that point he was asked to leave the plane," Rodriguez said. "It took 15 to 20 minutes of talking to get him to leave the plane, and he was arrested for trespassing." Marman allegedly resisted officers as he was being led away.Rodriguez told a local TV station that the 5-foot-11, 195-pound Marman, 20, "was not threatening anybody directly," but the airline's dress code forbids "indecent exposure or inappropriate" attire, and "being disruptive" in any fashion once on the plane may interfere with the crew. He was charged with trespassing, battery and resisting arrest, and was being held on $11,000 bail ahead of a scheduled arraignment Thursday afternoon.Marman's mother told the San Francisco Chronicle that her son was in "an emotionally raw state" after attending the funeral of a recently murdered high school friend on Tuesday, and was targeted by authorities "because of the way he looks - young black man with dreads and baggy pants." She also said that Marman, an incoming juco transfer to New Mexico from the City College of San Francisco, hoped to honor his friend's memory by making it to the NFL. She called him "a good kid trying to make it, and he's going through a lot. And then this happens." For what it's worth, his official New Mexico bio describes Marman as a "true leader with a winning mentality." Thus ends the initial account of one of the dumbest incidents ever recorded on this site, which is saying a lot. There's plenty to go around. There's Marman, wearing a potentially provocative outfit in a very public place and (allegedly) defying people with the authority to haul him off a plane and into a cell over something as trivial as his pants. There's security, seemingly creating a very real problem with significant consequences from an exceedingly small or nonexistent problem that presented no real threat and could have been prevented much earlier. There's the predictable cesspool of racist comments beneath the story everywhere else it appears Thursday morning on the web. Personally, I feel a little dumber for having spent a portion of my morning on it, and for actually feeling compelled to offer this parting advice, applicable to any situation you can possibly encounter in life: When in doubt, always pull your pants up. http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Grieving-New-Mexico-safety-hauled-off-plane-boo?urn=ncaaf-wp2673

Comments

• Options
    zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    I read this earlier. He should have just pulled his pants up IMO! I've seen guys like this with their pants dropped down to between their knees and ass and think its pathetic. No one wants to see your crusty boxers!

One of the reasons I dont go to movie theaters from Thurs nights-Saturday nights. I go Sunday afternoon or during the weekdays.

What is the point of them wearing their pants that low? Why not just wear your boxers?

Give it a few days and they will pull the race card.
  • Options
    smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    zeebra:
    I read this earlier. He should have just pulled his pants up IMO! I've seen guys like this with their pants dropped down to between their knees and ass and think its pathetic. No one wants to see your crusty boxers!

One of the reasons I dont go to movie theaters from Thurs nights-Saturday nights. I go Sunday afternoon or during the weekdays.

What is the point of them wearing their pants that low? Why not just wear your boxers?

zeebra you are more than welcome to have your own opinion..but let me ask you one question...who are THEY? People always use the term they..."oh you know what THEY say", or "thats what THEY always say"....does anyone know who the hell THEY are? Or zeebra..who is this they that you speak of? Just curious..thanks. And if you let baggy pants keep your from going to the movies..thats on you bro. I just get a feeling that one of these Sundays you might see some guys ass that you really dont want to..just my thoughts.
  • Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    Smoke 'em, I think I know what you're trying to get at, and I think you're wanting to turn this into a race thing, or maybe I'm wrong. Zeebra mentioned "guys like this with their pants dropped down to between their knees and ass" and then said "them" referring to the first quote. I didn't see him lumping any group of people together other than those that wear their pants below their ass, but I'll let him speak to that.

Now if your boxers are showing a little, big freakin deal. Who cares. But if your belt is tightened below your ass that is deliberate and could be construed as indecent exposure (yeah that might be a stretch, but I don't think it's much different from walking around with no pants on - you're showing all of your underwear!).

AND probably most importantly, if airline personnel tell you to do something, you better damn well comply especially in this day and age. When I go through airport security sometimes they (ha - they) make me take off my pullover, sometimes they don't - no rhyme or reason to it. But I don't make a big fuggin deal about it and show my ass (pun intended). That's because I know that I'm one of millions of people flying that day and don't deserve any special treatment. I do what "they" say and everything works out fine. This guy doesn't have some inalienable right to show his underwear. Especially on a commercial flight. If "they" tell me to tuck my shirt in when I get on a plane, I'll give them a funny look and tuck my shirt in. This guy got exactly what he was asking for - special treatment.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Stuff like this does kinda get to me... no one asks a fat woman in a tight shirt to leave or put something over it.
    It kinda is racial profiling. It's typical fashion in many black communities, like flip flops, khakis and polos in the white prep community.

• Options
    Oh, and I love the mother chiming in: "was targeted by authorities because of the way he looks - young black man with dreads and baggy pants." Just a poor victim that deserves special treatment.

If a white, black, blue or green man walks on a plane wearing a nice shirt with his Haggar's tightened up below his ass with his entire underwear showing, "they're" going to ask him to pull them up. Guaranteed. Hell, that would probably draw more attention because you don't see that everyday.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibal:
    Stuff like this does kinda get to me... no one asks a fat woman in a tight shirt to leave or put something over it.
    It kinda is racial profiling. It's typical fashion in many black communities, like flip flops, khakis and polos in the white prep community.

If that fat person was exposing themselves becuase the clothing didn't cover all of their body, I'm pretty sure they would be asked to cover themselves. Obese people are actually asked to leave planes on occasion (have you seen the story about Kevin Smith - he went on a major diet after being asked to leave a plane for being too big).

I fly a lot. When you're sitting down everyone in the aisle and putting stuff in the overhead bins has their ass in your face. I at least want another layer of clothing there and sure as hell don't want to see someone's full underwear because it's some kind of misguided 'statement' no matter what race, creed or religion they are. Again, they're not walking down the street. They're on a commercial flight and their rules apply no matter who you are.
  • Options
    Heavy:
    Smoke 'em, I think I know what you're trying to get at, and I think you're wanting to turn this into a race thing, or maybe I'm wrong. Zeebra mentioned "guys like this with their pants dropped down to between their knees and ass" and then said "them" referring to the first quote. I didn't see him lumping any group of people together other than those that wear their pants below their ass, but I'll let him speak to that.

Now if your boxers are showing a little, big freakin deal. Who cares. But if your belt is tightened below your ass that is deliberate and could be construed as indecent exposure (yeah that might be a stretch, but I don't think it's much different from walking around with no pants on - you're showing all of your underwear!).

AND probably most importantly, if airline personnel tell you to do something, you better damn well comply especially in this day and age. When I go through airport security sometimes they (ha - they) make me take off my pullover, sometimes they don't - no rhyme or reason to it. But I don't make a big fuggin deal about it and show my ass (pun intended). That's because I know that I'm one of millions of people flying that day and don't deserve any special treatment. I do what "they" say and everything works out fine. This guy doesn't have some inalienable right to show his underwear. Especially on a commercial flight. If "they" tell me to tuck my shirt in when I get on a plane, I'll give them a funny look and tuck my shirt in. This guy got exactly what he was asking for - special treatment.
    Heavy, plese dont feel at all that I agree with the man having his pants down or feel that hey if the man doesnt want to pull his pants up he shouldnt have to..that is not my point my any means. I actually dont have an opinion on that part b/c I must say i am sure in some point in my life my pants, shorts were lower then where they would be normally. I was simply asking zeebra who he was referring to when the made the statement "Give it a few days and they will pull the race card." Does he mean the guys lawyers will pull the race card, the guys family, the black community..etc. That is my whole point. Also I was somewhat taking a quote from New Jack City when the lawyer ask Nino Brown...who is this they you are referring to..but hey maybe you havent seen the movie. Thats all. We are all responsible for our own actions regardless or sex, race, or age, etc.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibal:

Hold up Stephen...Im a black male who were flip flops and polos minus the khakis far from being a prep but I also didnt grow up in all white or all black community..my community was mixed, white, black, asian you name it. I just kind of have my style. somedays it baggy pants, somedays it flip flops and polos, i just dress how i wanna dress regardless of where i am going and who i will be around. But 4real i dont mean anything negative in regards to your post. Stuff like this just gets to me when it gets more exposure than it really needs. Cuz you are right..I never see anyone asking a fat man or woman to cover up..but its all good. No love lost on the forums I hope. This is why we have the forums so we can try and see things from all different angles.
  • Options
    Completely understood Smoke 'em. Sorry I missed that "they". Like I said I fly a lot (or used to really, not as much lately), and my main gripe is people on planes that feel they are above everyone else. After spending some time in the 'friendly skies', you realize it ain't so friendly sometimes!

And I originally had missed the mother's comment (I read a different article about this before seeing it posted here) where she was making it a race issue which is a shame. I generally think people are more alike than they are different - but sometimes we all have to comply with something we don't really want to which sucks sometimes, but that's life.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I believe the so-called 'hip-hop' style and others that are equally outrageous are intended to be just that, outrageous. Styles like this are meant primarily to annoy authority figures and are, IMO, closely related to lower and/or as-yet-underdeveloped IQ's.

And, as you stated, Smoke-'em, these boards are about opinions and that's a good thing. The above is mine.

Marty

• Options
    Heavy:
    Completely understood Smoke 'em. Sorry I missed that "they". Like I said I fly a lot (or used to really, not as much lately), and my main gripe is people on planes that feel they are above everyone else. After spending some time in the 'friendly skies', you realize it ain't so friendly sometimes!

And I originally had missed the mother's comment (I read a different article about this before seeing it posted here) where she was making it a race issue which is a shame. I generally think people are more alike than they are different - but sometimes we all have to comply with something we don't really want to which sucks sometimes, but that's life.
    I see where you are coming from Heavy. I have been on enough planes with delays due to the fact people dont want to take their seat in a timely manner, or trying to stuff that bag in the compartment that they know just wont fit. I realize with all the good things that we have in life that we must take the bad with it. Its like being a party, or sporting event and some jackass has to ruin the experience for everyone just b/c they wanna "be themselves". Appreciate you taking the time to read my post and responding. Your cool with me brother.
  • Options
    jlmarta:
    Personally, I believe the so-called 'hip-hop' style and others that are equally outrageous are intended to be just that, outrageous. Styles like this are meant primarily to annoy authority figures and are, IMO, closely related to lower and/or as-yet-underdeveloped IQ's.

And, as you stated, Smoke-'em, these boards are about opinions and that's a good thing. The above is mine.

Marty

Okie dokie
  • Options
    smoke em if you got em:
    zeebra:

zeebra you are more than welcome to have your own opinion..but let me ask you one question...who are THEY? People always use the term they..."oh you know what THEY say", or "thats what THEY always say"....does anyone know who the hell THEY are? Or zeebra..who is this they that you speak of? Just curious..thanks. And if you let baggy pants keep your from going to the movies..thats on you bro. I just get a feeling that one of these Sundays you might see some guys ass that you really dont want to..just my thoughts.
    "they" is being referred to anyone who has their pants down with about 80% of their boxers showing, be it if they are black, white, hispanic, asian, "they" is everyone.

I use to go to theaters on weekends until this became some type of fashion. I dont want my son trying to dress like that, it looks ridiculous and pathetic. If I see it, its there, I'm not gonna go up to them and say, "hey, pull your pants up, you look stupid", if they are happy dressing that way, thats their thing. They might think I look stupid they way I dress...Again thats my opinion on them.
  • Options
    letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    Wow I am really mixed on this issue. I can see both sides about equally. I can see the "hipster look" with the skinny jeans down past his ass, It's a look I don't particularly care for, But it is a look that is obviously preferred by the individual that dresses in such a manner. Just because I don't think they should dress like that does not mean that I want someone to be able to prevent them from dressing like that. It's a style and while it's not mine, I think people are free to dress how they want.

Then I see the other side. I have been behind an individual that is absolutely disgusting, with a tan line at half crack. If he was dressed like that, then yeah....pull up your pants, you are in public and have to interact with society.

from the article I assumed that he was a hipster (pants down low showing boxers) instead of a plumber.....but who knows. We have all had days where we were not going to take any *** from anyone...maybe this was his
  • Options
    On the airplane subject, trust me, I've flown a lot as well and I've always been pulled on the side for questions and going through my bags and even missed flights because of this. I'm Pakistani, and just because of my nationality or name, I'm "randomly" chosen to get searched. Never once have I thrown a fit about it, I just do as I'm asked. I've been held up for questioning for over 1 hr before, it didnt matter, I understand. They are doing their jobs for every ones safety and comfort.

I dont want this to turn into a race thing, cause its a touchy subject. Again, thats why we have these forums for, to discuss, but some times its better to agree on disagreeing and leave it at that.
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Gawd, stop bashing fat people... Sheesh...
  • Options
    PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    I'm gunna jump in on this one. First off, F**K the racial crap goin on with this topic. I don't care what color you are, it's fn retarded and a stiff breeze from indecent exposure. Some of you may be thinking this pants thing is where you can see boxers, but it goes much further than that. These db are wearing their pants much lower. Completely below their ass, which also means below their junk. http://www.sidecarsally.com/images/saggingpants.jpg This shows a minor example as his pants are much higher up than I've seen. I dont care your color or age, the only time your pants should be that low in public is in a bathroom about to take a crap.
  • Options
    PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:

And Stephen, this has nothing to do with tight clothes. I see these hipster guys wearing pants so tight their faces turn blue. And while I think its retarded, there is no actual prob with it. The prob is the people wearing their pants below their ass and balls. Like someone said before, why even wear the pants? It's like they are just wearing knee high Jeans boots and boxers.
  • Options
    smoke em if you got em:
    Heavy:

I see where you are coming from Heavy. I have been on enough planes with delays due to the fact people dont want to take their seat in a timely manner, or trying to stuff that bag in the compartment that they know just wont fit. I realize with all the good things that we have in life that we must take the bad with it. Its like being a party, or sporting event and some jackass has to ruin the experience for everyone just b/c they wanna "be themselves". Appreciate you taking the time to read my post and responding. Your cool with me brother.
    Back atcha man
  • Options
    dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    Our boy Marman is a dolt. Plain and simple. You want to wear your jeans a little low? Fine. You want to walk around in plublic with them below your butt with only your boxers showing? Problem. If my kids are on that plane, I want something else covering your junk. Our society has a basic dress code. Try not to let your chip on the shoulder this is a racial thing attitude and dimwittedness get in the way of that crucial understanding.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:

Stephen, your post made me laugh at first because all I coukd think was, "I'd say something to a fat woman wearing tight clothes before I would someone sagging their pants." LoL But I'm kind of a pr*ck most of the time so that's no big surprise. My second thought was the people I see while I walk around the mall or Walmart here where I live. I tend to see more black people wearing polo shirts and khakis and more dorky ass little white guys wearing their pants down around their knees... Either way it looks stupid in my opinion, but its not much different in reality than a girl walking around with her thong hanging out.