Home Non Cigar Related
Options

War powers act

wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
Amazing how all of a sudden the republicans are now worried about this. At least Obama's got McCain's support! f'ing rhino.

Comments

• Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    War Powers Act, IMO, is probably unconstitutional; Congress has the power to declare war, not make war; the act was passed in a rush in reaction to Nixon, and wasn't thought through very well. Every President has always ignored it/never admitted they needed Congress' blessing; the fact they asked Congress first was out of deference, but no President in history has ever said the War Powers Act is actually binding on them.

If Congress ever disagree's with a President's foreign policy, they can just cut the purse strings and starve the operation.

• Options
    I'm not arguing if it's constitutional or not, just how funny it is that now that Obama's doing some democracy spreading it's an issue. Really just calling out republicans on their double standard here.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Oh yeah, no doubt about it - Repubs that were with Bush on Iraq are suddenly shocked - SHOCKED - that Obama would go to war and have suddenly become isolationists. It really is total BS and demagoguery at its worst.
  • Options
    Well I wouldn't quite say at it's worst.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGnE83A1Z4U&feature=related
    Dems are now and forever will be the masters of demagoguery that is one thing I will never try to take from them lol.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The shoe is on the left foot, no wait the right, left, right, left-right-left-right-left-right-left...OH! We're just marching off to war again, nothing out of the ordinary.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain