Home General Discussion
Options

Smoking Order

I know the traditional method seems to be progressing from milder, lighter flavored cigars to fuller, heavier flavored cigars when smoking multiple sticks.

Awhile back, someone suggested doing just the opposite. I gave it a shot and it's proven to be quite interesting. The hesitation for most seems to be that the full cigar will overwhelm the palate and that the nuances of the milder cigar would then be lost. I think with particularly complex milder cigars, that could certainly be the case. However, I find that starting with the full bodied smoke only serves to highlight the more delicate and soft features of the mild cigar.

I did it this morning by starting with a GH Vintage 2002 and then moving on to a PDR Classico. It's probably the most enjoyment I've gotten out of the Classico, as it seemed more distinctly soft and creamy.

Anyone else try this?

Comments

• Options
    I don't typically start with mild cigars. When I smoke multiple cigars, I don't know how long I'll wind up smoking so I usually start off with my favorite cigar (which typically isn't mild). If I've had 2 or 3 cigars, I like to finish it off with a mild cigar so that I don't get sick. Along the same lines, if I have shots at a bar it's usually not at the end of the night right before I leave.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i tent to like lighter smokes in the morning and fuller ones at night. it just happens to work out as tradition. dont go out of my way to do so.
    if i know ill be smoking a few in a day i usually start witht he more complex cigars and end with the more one note ones.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I don't pay attention to strengths that much, If a cigar comes to mind, or leaps out of the humidor at me, I smoke it. I sometimes read a review here and think, that sounds good and will put it into my travel humidor for the next day.
  • Options
    JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    Same as the others, I just smoke according to whim.
    Light 'em up.