Home General Discussion

Cigar etiquette on the golf course

So the title pretty much says it all, what do you all consider to be proper or poor etiquette when smoking a stogie on the golf course.

What are the do's and don'ts?

Comments

• ztanner25ztanner25 Posts: 48
    Personally, I am typically concerned about secondhand smoke, since some people are more sensitive about it than others.
  • zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    I wouldnt give a damn to be honest. I'm out there trying to have a good time, and if I want a cigar, I'll have a cigar. If the others dont like the smell or what ever, too bad. Again, thats me.

Its a golf course, not an enclosed place...
    zeebra:
    I wouldnt give a damn to be honest. I'm out there trying to have a good time, and if I want a cigar, I'll have a cigar. If the others dont like the smell or what ever, too bad. Again, thats me.

Its a golf course, not an enclosed place...

Good to know some folks feel this way! I have ran into quite a grumpy crowd recently and made question things a bit.
    Oops...double post
  • JonathanEJonathanE Posts: 401
    First, I have to take a shot at golf: if you can smoke a cigar while playing the game then it's not a sport! Haha!

I am just careful to stay down wind of folks who aren't also smoking unless I notice that they are intentionally trying to get downwind so that they can smell it! I've never had any trouble.

I have to disagree with zeebra though. There's this thing about being an @$$ hole around your friends. You probably didn't mean it this way but your post sounds like, "F-you if you don't like it." The only reason I say anything about this is because I think it's important for cigar smokers to create and maintain a gentlemanly image, especially on the golf course.

JDE
  • amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    Where these "grumpy" people in your group ? Are they friends of yours ?
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    Second hand smoke is the biggy of course, especially calm/balmy days where it can linger/hover.
    Other basics include (if you want to be polite)
    -Don't lay your cigar down on the green while putting - obvious I know, but people do it
    -It's often frowned upon to lay it down on the fairway as well at some snooty courses - in the rough is OK, just don't start a fire
    -Be mindful of your ash, especially around the greens
    -Don't ditch your nub anywhere (OB, in the rough, etc.)
    -If you're using matches, don't toss them around

My good friend is a greens keeper for the county here - he's seen all this and worse
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JonathanE:
    The only reason I say anything about this is because I think it's important for cigar smokers to create and maintain a gentlemanly image, especially on the golf course.

JDE

I'm not a golfer but it seems to me that the 'gentleman' thing ought to work both ways. If the non-cigar folks don't like the smoke, the gentlemanly thing to do would be to stay out of range of the smoke. Particularly when the cigar guy is trying to accomodate.

Marty

• denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I'm of the opinion that since most clubhouses sell cigars, I will smoke them wherever I please on the course since I paid the same to play 18 holes as everyone else. I'm kinda rude that way I guess. Since the clubhouse sells cigars, I'm sure they don't care if I smoke while golfing, in fact they expect it.
  • MperconteMperconte Posts: 367
    My .02 cents..

I smoke on the course all the time. I usually don't play with too many strangers in my group but it does happen. I will smoke one or two sticks a round, no rift raft allowed in my cart. No ash on the greens. You should not be standing that close to me on the tee box. If the smoke annoys you in an open area space, back the !@#$% up. At that point, I’m probable not going to want to talk to you anyway.

Now, this is a very harsh stance to the point of inconsiderate but it's my position, my day off, my 4 hours of piece and quite without the kids screaming and the wife nagging. I would have no problem telling an annoyed golf to go scratch in that type of setting.
    KingoftheCove:
    Second hand smoke is the biggy of course, especially calm/balmy days where it can linger/hover.

Other basics include (if you want to be polite)

-Don't lay your cigar down on the green while putting - obvious I know, but people do it

-It's often frowned upon to lay it down on the fairway as well at some snooty courses - in the rough is OK, just don't start a fire

-Be mindful of your ash, especially around the greens

-Don't ditch your nub anywhere (OB, in the rough, etc.)

-If you're using matches, don't toss them around

My good friend is a greens keeper for the county here - he's seen all this and worse

I suppose with common sense and a bit of courtesy most angst from others can be avoided. Some of my concern is due to my age, I'm just 20 and look young at that, so some people can be more critical of a "kid" than older folks.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    you may only be 20 but your money is the same as theirs. just be respectful, not arrogant, but know that you can smoke like everyone does.
  • JonathanEJonathanE Posts: 401
    A friend of mine builds non street legal, no exhaust system race cars = loud and his neighbors took him to court once for disturbing the peace. When the judge found out that they hadn't talked to him first he threw the case out. His closing remark was:

"He's got as much a right to a little noise as you've got rights to a little peace!"

I feel the same way about smoking. We have a right to a little smoke. Same thing goes with noise as smoke though, as Dennis said well, "Just be respectful, not arrogant..."

JDE
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    The only etiquette I follow when I smoke on the course is I make sure I bring enough to share with my group, and if I'm sharing a cart with someone, I ask them if they mind. After that, it's game on.
  • Husker44Husker44 Posts: 172
    For me I don't smoke if others in my group aren't smoking cigars. I usually bring enough for everyone, but unless I think they will smoke them I don't bring them along.

Heck, in the summertime here in Texas it is almost too blasted hot to enjoy a cigar on the course anyway.
  • dwayne3307dwayne3307 Posts: 272
    Mperconte:
    My .02 cents..

I smoke on the course all the time. I usually don't play with too many strangers in my group but it does happen. I will smoke one or two sticks a round, no rift raft allowed in my cart. No ash on the greens. You should not be standing that close to me on the tee box. If the smoke annoys you in an open area space, back the !@#$% up. At that point, I’m probable not going to want to talk to you anyway.

Now, this is a very harsh stance to the point of inconsiderate but it's my position, my day off, my 4 hours of piece and quite without the kids screaming and the wife nagging. I would have no problem telling an annoyed golf to go scratch in that type of setting.
    +1.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Mperconte:
    My .02 cents..

+2
  • RaschNutsRaschNuts Posts: 882
    Most of my friends smoke cigareettes so it's fair game for me. If I'm with my brother who doesn't smoke I try to just make sure the smoke doesn't go in his face when we are inthe cart. Other then that every one else said it
    Somewhat off topic, but what the heck...

I got a deal on a Taylor Made Burner 2009 Driver today at Dicks for 100 with a 20 dollar off coupon making it only 80 bucks. That thing rips em!!!!!
  • RampMonkeyRampMonkey Posts: 1,808
    fla-gypsy:
    Mperconte:
    My .02 cents..

+2

+3 I paid just as much as the others and I'm here to relax.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Good thread guys. I must admit I'd never even thought about etiquette on the course because everyone I play with smokes cigarettes, cigars or both.

I must admit that I'm the dumb@ss who's set my cigar down on the green before. No one has ever given me a cross look for it and I've seen many cigarette and cigar smokers do the same. I place some pretty nice courses but nothing that the PGA hits. Now that it has been brought to my attention though it makes sense and I will keep my smoke off the green.
  • DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    y2pascoe:
    The only etiquette I follow when I smoke on the course is I make sure I bring enough to share with my group, and if I'm sharing a cart with someone, I ask them if they mind. After that, it's game on.
    +100 and as for the rights comment... If you don't want my public to invade your private, go somewhere that is private! Its the same thing with cell phones!
  • d-robd-rob Posts: 61
    First - don't through your clubs or scream, everything after that is gravy. If your considering etiquette you are already way ahead of the curve.